Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, newbryford said:

And here's another in a similar vein

For bombing the wrong target.

"accidentally discharged aircraft ordnance"....

From here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65344370

Mutual friend od DH and I had a wi gman who managed to plant a practice bomb in the outside khazi of a pub near the bombing range. It cost him a few pints. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It does appear that it should work with that decoder then so perhaps it isn’t your fault and something is just wrong. 

I've just had an email arrive, so someone is working late on a Friday night, apologizing for the misbehaving decoder.

I'm to send it straight back and it will either be re-blown or if that doesn't work, replaced with a new one.

My postage costs will be refunded.

You can't ask for better than that.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SM42 said:

Last night was very painful and I eventually gave up trying to get comfy in bed and retired to the lounge with a couple of pillows and a blanket to sleep, sat in an armchair as that was a known pain free position.

It must have worked as I had a very odd dream about a party hosted by Seth Rogen, which was just getting going when the whole thing was ruined by a child and a can of lemonade. 

A quick getaway was required to avoid the wrath of the venue owner, so Seth decided to carjack a passing school bus to enable the chosen few to escape. The plan was foiled when everyone tried to get on and then my alarm went off. 

Them  painkillers are quite potent it seems

The opinion of the doctor is that I have sciatica like symptoms in my side and the cause is probably the same.

Thus I am due a call from the physio on Monday morning to discuss treatment.

Other jobs have been slowly ticked off the list during the rest of the day with an ouch here and there. 

Andy

I too suffer from sciatica, sitting upright seems to ease the symptoms. In my case on the bed not a chair.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Mutual friend od DH and I had a wingman who managed to plant a practice bomb in the outside khazi of a pub near the bombing range. It cost him a few pints. 

Jamie

Was anyone using the khazi at the time?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I too suffer from sciatica, sitting upright seems to ease the symptoms. In my case on the bed not a chair.

Sciatica comes in many guises. 

It can get to me in a certain chair, sat at a certain angle - but I've yet to work out which chair at which angle.

Standing on a hard floor is another.

A few months after a spinal steroid injection, lying in bed can become uncomfortable.

As it is now - but I have an appointment with the man who wields a very large needle in a few days time.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

If they were, it's safe to assume they concluded their business rather more quickly than they were expecting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

3 hours ago, SM42 said:

That's too far away. 

Nearest probably Tamworth and that's a good hour away on a good day. 

Andy

Poland maybe? There are a LOT of ski hills there.

I suppose I could get the same benefit by just doing a lot of exercises but I hate excising. The great thing about skiing is you exercise muscles you don't even know you have 😀 It's also exhilarating and definitely keeps my black dog locked away in its kennel.

Of course it can also be dangerous. I did receive a skiing injury a while ago. I was waiting for Lorna at the bottom of a chairlift in Utah. For no good reason I fell over and staved my thumb 😟

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

An americarno or a glass of tizza? Or or a dandelion and burdock? Live dangerously HH.

Hmmm. An Americano (Campari, sweet vermouth, and for the sparkling version, club soda and garnished with a slice of lemon) is alright as it goes, but for a real man’s apéritif (or real Hippo’s for that matter) you can’t beat a Negroni (one part gin, one part vermouth rosso [red, semi-sweet] and one part Campari over ice with an orange slice). The commonly-held origin story is that it was concocted by a member of the Negroni family asking the bartender to strengthen the Americano by adding gin, rather than the normal soda water. Although very enjoyable made fresh, I tend to make it in advance, bottle it and chill it in the fridge for a few days - allowing the flavours to mingle and mature.

For whisky lovers there is the Boulevardier version - whisky,  sweet vermouth and Campari - though the whisky (actually whiskEy) is bourbon. I suppose you could make it with a good blended whisky - such as the Grants Triple Wood or Johnny Walker Green label. But to make it with a single malt would be profanity, sacrilege and criminal…

Y’know, I don’t recall having seen either bottles of Tizer or Lucozade in the shops during my recent UK forays (but I haven’t been looking)

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice view

6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

5 hours ago, Northmoor said:

If they were, it's safe to assume they concluded their business rather more quickly than they were expecting.

Fortunately not. Apparently the 28lb practice bomb went straight through the roof and was wedged right in the pan. The crews had gone their for a pint and the guy was show his handiwork.  Sounds like some real precision aiming to me. I have seen evidence of some people not being able to hit the pan from point blank range, let alone from a fast moving Tornado. 

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Hmmm. An Americano (Campari, sweet vermouth, and for the sparkling version, club soda and garnished with a slice of lemon) is alright as it goes, 

For whisky lovers there is the Boulevardier version - whisky,  sweet vermouth and Campari - though the whisky (actually whiskEy) is bourbon. I suppose you could make it with a good blended whisky - such as the Grants Triple Wood or Johnny Walker Green label. But to make it with a single malt would be profanity, sacrilege and criminal…

Y’know, I don’t recall having seen either bottles of Tizer or Lucozade in the shops during my recent UK forays (but I haven’t been looking)

I quite agree about the single malt. 

As to Tizer,I've no idea.  Lucozade is definitely still available.  Beth carries a bottle with her incase her blood sugar drops suddenly. 

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, SM42 said:

That's too far away. 

Nearest probably Tamworth and that's a good hour away on a good day. 

Andy

But a mere sneeze for someone that drives back n' forth to Poland surely......

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've just had an email arrive, so someone is working late on a Friday night, apologizing for the misbehaving decoder.

I'm to send it straight back and it will either be re-blown or if that doesn't work, replaced with a new one.

My postage costs will be refunded.

You can't ask for better than that.

Cake compo would be a good start......

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Morrisons sell Tizer apparently, and Lucozade is still available (though I've heard of some Hospitals banning it from being brought in cos' apparently it can send Patient's test results all over the shop).

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Mutual friend od DH and I had a wi gman who managed to plant a practice bomb in the outside khazi of a pub near the bombing range. It cost him a few pints. 

Jamie

Bear was involved (though not responsible for, luckily - that was the RAF) for a very near-miss incident where a certain "something" decided to go for an unscheduled wander by itself - fortunately it was contained, but only by a very large degree of sheer luck.  It would most definitely have been very unfunny indeed and would've made the 6 o'clock news for a few days afterwards.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, polybear said:

Cake compo would be a good start......

Ahhh, I remember it well!

24 Hour Ration Pack GS (1984) Menu D

Mixed Fruit Pudding.

Could be removed from the tin (by removing top and bottom and pushing it through) and then thrown at the enemy with more effect than a no 36 Grenade.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, br2975 said:

This week, one has mostly been sampling grape based products, in the homeland of our oldest allies.

SAM_3764.JPG

That’s what happens when you put an HO carriage in your OO train.

• Like 2
  • Funny 10