Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Blood test or stitches removal?

Either, that's just the fee for coming out. The blood test charges get picked up by a combination of the state and our top up insurance.  Ultimately, as we are UK pensioners it gets paid by the UK.  However as my Police pension is taxed in the UK,it more than covers it. The top up costs us €300 per montbut I don'thpat any French income tax or their equivalent of National Insurance. Fortunately the double taxation treaty wasn't affected by Brexit. 

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

A hug and a biscuit would certainly make blood tests a lot less stressful..

Take out of anywhere but my elbow or the back on my hand. 

It's all the same stuff. Same batch, same manufacturer.

Andy

Only the fresh stuff please.  None of de-oxygenerated batch.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Only the fresh stuff please.  None of de-oxygenerated batch.

I thought they always use  a return conductor for collection. 

Anyway, they don't measure the oxygen level in it.

Well not that way, as far as I know

Andy 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

There is something about to go very wrong today, as so far everything has gone very well.

Stitches out.

No requirement to go back to the hospital next week.

Prescription collected.

Two hippo mugs purchased (just in case DH decides to visit and needs a drink).

Bottle of 'The Singleton' single malt purchased. It sort of fell into my bag (it was on special offer), and I didn't realise until I reached the checkout.

If I go outside and start painting at the top of a ladder what can possibly go wrong?😂

Suppose it depends on whether not you have quality controlled the top and bottom of the Singleton before going up the ladder. 

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Suppose it depends on whether not you have quality controlled the top and bottom of the Singleton before going up the ladder. 

Jamie

I filled both Hippo mugs and there was still a Guinea Pig mug full left over.

I was not allowed up the ladder as Nyda required something to stand a small tree branch in to make, wait for it, a tree!  She suggested something along the lines of the garden umbrella stand, but much lighter: something a lady can lift comfortably.

Removing various materiel from my junk box and cutting it to size on the chop saw, then screwing it all together took 10 minutes and earned many brownie points:  Apt since it is required for a Girlguiding adult leaders training course on Saturday.

In the hope of even more credit, I offered to paint it, but this was declined.

Apparently, the reason for leaving it in the raw state was so the gathered ensemble could see how easy it is to make such a stand with a small amount of materiel and with very limited diy skills.

Nyda smiled as she said that:  I have no idea why!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 5
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

It's been one of those days when all goes well but takes longer than it should, resulting in putting things back till tomorrow. 

First up the car service, "it'll only take a couple of hours"  giving me enough time to walk into town to visit the model shop to buy some glue.( they were out of stock.)

On arrival back at the garage for the car, it was another two hours. (4 in total )

Got home about nearly 6 hours after I left. 

Next deliver some furniture. 

The traffic was horrendous. 

Then off to the model shop  just 6 miles from my drop off, traffic horrendous. The 6 miles took 50 minutes. 

Bought some paint ( first shop didn't sell the paint I need) and on the slow moving motorway home realised I forgot to buy glue whilst I was there

As result getting some rugs made up from some carpet offcuts must wait till tomorrow. 

Prep work for more painting will now be done this evening. 

I may be in a position  to paint tomorrow but need to buy some gloss first. 

Never a dull moment at SM42 Towers 

Andy

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

As the article states, the insurance varies considerably according to specialty, state, coverage type and insurer claim limits. The US $1 million that The Bear referred to was - IRC - for either a plastic (cosmetic) surgeon group practice or an ob/gyn group practice in Beverly Hills.

I think that it would be reasonable to assume that in those specialties where the patients expect perfection (perfect nose job, perfect baby etc) that are based in affluent areas that have easy access to (and can afford) litigious lawyers, the malpractice premiums are going to be pretty high (average malpractice insurance rate for a single Ob/Gyn doc in Long Island NY is around US $ 214’000.oo So a small practice could easily have to fork out nearly a Million bucks per year to cover just the group’s malpractice insurance - that’s a hell of a lot of bouncing babies and pelvic exams…)

Quite true I'm sure but the way the system works those costs will not be spread across very many patients. Those sort of practices will not accept patients on any sort of socialized insurance or even the sort of private health insurance that the vast majority of people have.

My pal in Manhattan could not find doctors who would accept Medicare.

Healthcare in the US definitely is not cheap and you do end up paying for it one way or another. But in my experience it works a lot better than the NHS.  My main point is that we are at least aware of what treatment costs unlike the system in the UK.

In my opinion the NHS in Edinburgh really let my late best man down. He had not been feeling well for a while but they could not identify a problem. He died at home of a heart attack at age 57.

Ironically he could easily have afforded to pay for doctors and tests in the US.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

I may be in a position  to paint tomorrow but need to buy some gloss first. 

Never a dull moment at SM42 Towers 

Andy

One assumes that the gloss paint is being purchased in order to ensure that statement is always correct.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Clutter fingers
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Winslow Boy said:

Onr

One assumes that the gloss paint is being purchased in order to ensure that statement is always correct.

Indeed. 

Mrs SM42 has now secured, through her union, tickets to an evening of music in Worcester. 

Hopefully we can use the train to get to and from. 

Meanwhile, Mrs SM42's ride has eventually got a date for repairs to be carried out following the demolition derby of a commute before Easter. 

Now for some strange reason my left foot has started to hurt, probably in sympathy with all the diodes on my left side which are also hurting on and off in a quite debilitating manner and alcohol is off the menu as the painkillers I'm using don't mix too well with them. 

Hopefully I can secure an audience with a GP tomorrow to try and establish a cause. 

I'm hoping it is back trouble  related, but the pain is a little higher up than usual for that.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 17

1 minute ago, SM42 said:

Indeed. 

Mrs SM42 has now secured, through her union, tickets to an evening of music in Worcester. 

Meanwhile, Mrs SM42's ride has eventually got a date for repairs to be carried out following the demolition derby of a commute before Easter. 

Now for some strange reason my left foot has started to hurt, probably in sympathy with all the diodes on my left side which are also hurting on and off in a quite debilitating manner and alcohol is off the menu as the painkillers I'm using don't mix too well with them. 

Hopefully I can secure an audience with a GP tomorrow to try and establish a cause. 

I'm hoping it is back trouble  related, but the pain is a little higher up than usual for that.

Andy

Well I'll give you that Andy those painkillers obviously haven't effected your sense of humour. An appointment with the GP on the same day as asking that's a good one. Have you ever thought of taking up comedy full time. You'll be a natural.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Indeed. 

Andy

Dr Hippo says:

Your suffering from  a combination of Painters Knee and Decorators Elbow.

Only an immediate cessation of any form of domestic DIY for a period of 18 months will bring any form of relief.

Your adoring wife should with all haste ensure you are placed in a comfortable resting area and totally pampered.

In the absence of alcohol, copious amounts of cake and puddings should be on call.  These may alleviate some of your symptoms.

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

In the absence of alcohol, copious amounts of cake and puddings should be on call.  These may alleviate some of your symptoms.

Isn't there a National Elf Service for that sort of stuff?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Well I'll give you that Andy those painkillers obviously haven't effected your sense of humour. An appointment with the GP on the same day as asking that's a good one. Have you ever thought of taking up comedy full time. You'll be a natural.

No he thinks he's living in France where such things are an everyday occurrence and the Cognac is cheap.

Jamie

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I am off for a blood test later this morning. I am not sure how much it costs but when the dog had the same one it was £120. I don’t expect to get a hug and a biscuit though. 

You need to change your GP......

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Last time I needed a doc's appointment, I was offered a telephone consultation.  The Locum rang back about 45 minutes later.  It's not like she saved me a journey though; if I walk to the top of my front steps I am already about a 1/10th of the way there.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Usually not a problem with the 0800hrs telephone scrum.

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Dr Hippo says:

Your suffering from  a combination of Painters Knee and Decorators Elbow.

Only an immediate cessation of any form of domestic DIY for a period of 18 months will bring any form of relief.

Your adoring wife should with all haste ensure you are placed in a comfortable resting area and totally pampered.

I've shown this diagnosis to Nurse Mrs SM42.

She doesn't agree and has gone off to seek a second opinion.

Meanwhile I've been tasked with drilling a hole and refitting a door keep plate. Alcohol free beer (Perla) and watching some snooker may be my reward.

Tomorrow's orders have been issued

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
On 20/04/2023 at 06:06, iL Dottore said:

Certainly, keeping healthy is an expensive business: our last Vet bill which included a state-of-the-art long-term analgesic/anti-inflammatory/muscle relaxant for Schotty’s back problems (a single injection given every 4-6 weeks) and Lucy’s ultrasound examination and GI meds was just under £1400!

A work Buddy had a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel; it received hip replacements in both rear legs, at a cost of something like £7K a go 😮.  Fortunately he had doggie insurance so most of the pain went to them. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4