Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

44 minutes ago, polybear said:

Possibly more expensive in the U.S. due to the potentially huge insurance claims (and therefore premiums) in the event of negligence etc.

Could well be more but how would you possibly know? I could provide an extensive list of everything the providers had attempted to charge me along with how much my insurers told them they were actually going to get paid 😄 (By accepting me and my insurance they also accepted the prices my insurer would pay.)

The "huge insurance claims" thing is likely much more of a Daily Wail thing than a serious issue. There are some headline-grabbing liability cases from time-to-time but they are most often about botched plastic surgery. (I did consider a bit of dewrinklyization but eventually decided they only enhance my rugged and rakish masculinity.)

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Apart from discussing modelling techniques using foam and plasticard, the consultant orthopaedic surgeon who has been dealing with my finger(s), was telling me about his toe nail losses.  One of his pastimes is mountaineering and the boots he wears regularly cause nails to give up the ghost.

'I presume you'll pull them out with a pair of pliers, like you'll do mine' said I.

'Yes' he replied,

'But without any anaesthetic'.

Does he ask "Is it safe?" too?

• Funny 9

Evening all,

Another busy day at school, made infinitely better by the arrival of a rather nice package marked “Par Avion” with Reuter address to Sheffield.

872FF011-811C-4287-9EE9-1685A4297207.jpeg.5843e991e48bb517caac7a5fa6f0c9ff.jpeg

877735FE-27B3-4A3D-9098-DB3B74357CAC.jpeg.ce12f3efbfbb4456902d66de295c4662.jpeg

4479A33C-D52F-4655-9AB9-AD7B3BD73453.jpeg.ec37c5b3d866f169e58f2b0c9573bc05.jpeg

9106AFE1-5A7E-49CF-BDE0-BD5A51B4435D.jpeg.cbea397329aff6c3c29fbd7a58a69b5e.jpeg

It is a particularly excellent piece of miniature engineering executed to the highest order, and is a credit to everyone involved. I was very surprised to see that Dapol managed to engineer a full gap in the frames to enable all of the Stephensons link reversing motion to be depicted. Some very crafty person could even make it move when the engine changed direction! The sound is also very good for the limited size of the tender. Overall a very very good engine.

Douglas

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AndyID said:

The "huge insurance claims" thing is likely much more of a Daily Wail thing than a serious issue. There are some headline-grabbing liability cases from time-to-time but they are most often about botched plastic surgery. (I did consider a bit of dewrinklyization but eventually decided they only enhance my rugged and rakish masculinity.)

I do recall it mentioned on here/ER not so long ago (by @iL Dottore I think) that the Insurance Premium for a Paediatrician (IIRC) is typically in the order of $1M/year - so that's a cost that'll be passed to patients irrespective of whether there are any claims or not.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi’s brother Raj is a GP. One weekend when he was visiting our dog had been at the vets  for surgery.  He thought Robbie’s stitches were neat and he had a look at the vet bill. He said the costs were not different to those for NHS procedures for humans though the vets drug costs were a bit higher than what the NHS paid. Every procedure has a cost but we end users don’t know it usually. Whenever I get get my reminders for my hospital visits to the Royal London the message includes a comment of how much a missed appointment costs the NHS. 

(My emphasis). The price difference is down to a smaller volume of drugs being purchased (the NHS buys £2.8 Billion of cancer drugs each year alone) that and the fact that some drugs (like carfentanil) can only be used in animals (which means that some of the development costs are stand-alone costs - i.e. done separately to the drug’s development for humans [many human drugs are repurposed for animals]) means drugs for veterinary use are more expensive. In theory, you could “recycle” some of your human OTC meds for your dog/cat, but you’d really, really, really need to know what you’re doing… I wouldn’t advise doing it (I don’t do it, despite my experience and training in drug development).

Certainly, keeping healthy is an expensive business: our last Vet bill which included a state-of-the-art long-term analgesic/anti-inflammatory/muscle relaxant for Schotty’s back problems (a single injection given every 4-6 weeks) and Lucy’s ultrasound examination and GI meds was just under £1400!

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

many human drugs are repurposed for animals

Robbie had gabapentin prescribed. This was not licensed for use in dogs so I had to sign a waiver that I understood why. I did read the patient information leaflet for him. It worked really well. I had taken him to the vets and thought I might not be returning home with him so was pleased that something gave him another year of active life. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I do recall it mentioned on here/ER not so long ago (by @iL Dottore I think) that the Insurance Premium for a Paediatrician (IIRC) is typically in the order of $1M/year - so that's a cost that'll be passed to patients irrespective of whether there are any claims or not.

I think that might be a tad high 😁

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/small-business/how-much-is-malpractice-insurance

I think I'll have to pay a visit to my doc in the near future to discuss possible treatment options for my very-close veins. Compression and elevation does help but there some other things that they don't help too much. Anyway, I'll ask him if he might share how much he has to shell-out for liability insurance.

Edited by AndyID
moinfo
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

☆☆☆☆☆Stop press☆☆☆☆☆

Asda are stocking very nice ceramic Hippo mugs. 

Just saying..........

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I think that might be a tad high 😁

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/small-business/how-much-is-malpractice-insurance

I think I'll have to pay a visit to my doc in the near future to discuss possible treatment options for my very-close veins. Compression and elevation does help but there some other things that they don't help too much. Anyway, I'll ask him if he might share how much he has to shell-out for liability insurance.

As the article states, the insurance varies considerably according to specialty, state, coverage type and insurer claim limits. The US $1 million that The Bear referred to was - IRC - for either a plastic (cosmetic) surgeon group practice or an ob/gyn group practice in Beverly Hills.

I think that it would be reasonable to assume that in those specialties where the patients expect perfection (perfect nose job, perfect baby etc) that are based in affluent areas that have easy access to (and can afford) litigious lawyers, the malpractice premiums are going to be pretty high (average malpractice insurance rate for a single Ob/Gyn doc in Long Island NY is around US $ 214’000.oo So a small practice could easily have to fork out nearly a Million bucks per year to cover just the group’s malpractice insurance - that’s a hell of a lot of bouncing babies and pelvic exams…)

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Apart from discussing modelling techniques using foam and plasticard, the consultant orthopaedic surgeon who has been dealing with my finger(s), was telling me about his toe nail losses.  One of his pastimes is mountaineering and the boots he wears regularly cause nails to give up the ghost.

'I presume you'll pull them out with a pair of pliers, like you'll do mine' said I.

'Yes' he replied,

'But without any anaesthetic'.

That puts you in your place doesn't it HH.

Perhaps I should have included wimpish tendencies in that character assassination?

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

On 17/04/2023 at 14:15, J. S. Bach said:

A good majority of US steam had inside-frame pilot trucks (a few even had inside-frame trailing trucks). An example of the former is this Pennsylvania RR class H-10 Consolidation:

IMG_2573.JPG.53f61a453990eb11fb656bd3f03bd67d.JPG

They are both made by MTH ; the unpainted one is an engineering production sample. And this Southern Pacific class GS-4 (painted in a private road name):

100_5650.JPG.56e05398930d69d0ca214b21b1592a15.JPG

EDIT: FYI: models are O (¼") scale.

Most large steam locos have inside frame leading trucks, apart from the GWR King Class. What they don't have is inside frame leading trucks combined with outside main frames. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Most large steam locos have inside frame leading trucks, apart from the GWR King Class. What they don't have is inside frame leading trucks combined with outside main frames. 

Sorry, could you repeat that? I don't think I heard you correctly.

d12.jpg

Best wishes, Charles Sacré.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

image.png.13aa1e4893eb3a74e043a889184c6c61.png

That's the chap. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AndyID said:

Could well be more but how would you possibly know?

I'm potentially 40 years out of date on this, but when my daughter was born in New Jersey by Cesarian the surgeon itemised 'attend a high risk delivery' in his bill, which was paid by my company's insurers without a blink. I can't recall exactly how much it was, but only that it was noticeable in a bill that covered 8 months of ante-natal care in addition to the delivery.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I am off for a blood test later this morning. I am not sure how much it costs but when the dog had the same one it was £120. I don’t expect to get a hug and a biscuit though. 

• Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A hug and a biscuit would certainly make blood tests a lot less stressful..

Take out of anywhere but my elbow or the back on my hand. 

It's all the same stuff. Same batch, same manufacturer.

Andy

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Sorry, could you repeat that? I don't think I heard you correctly.

d12.jpg

Best wishes, Charles Sacré.

Well, THAT won't go around 2nd radius curves...  🤪

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm now off to the fracture clinic at the hospital to see if I can have the stitches removed.

After that I'll go to the pharmacy and see if my prescription is ready for collection.

Since the pharmacy is just round the corner from Asda, I may have to call in to see if they have sold out of my mugs yet

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Come to France, Marie, Frederique or Dominique would come to the house to remove them. Cost €11.70 for the visit.plus a nice chat.

Jamie

Currently sitting watching the Ramoneur aka chimney sweep do his stuff. 

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3