Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Bless you for your kind and considerate thoughts.

Another suggestions to make my railway look bigger was to revert to a smaller scale.

You can make your railway look bigger by standing closer to it

HTH

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, polybear said:

Oh I dunno....I'm sure I can hear at least one AVM wettin' himself laughing....

You're not making any friends in that household either. 

His dearly beloved wife thought she'd cured him of that habit.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

.....an idea for a book, or even a series.

A shed full of panniers.

A few sheds of panniers more

The pannier, the shed and the hippo.

Shedding light on pannier tanks:  A technical appreciation.

Panniers on Shed.

One of our panniers is missing (From the shed).

You missed out Shakespear's excellent futuristic work foretelling the advent of the panniers - Much Ado About Nothing.

Dave

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

TNM’s reputation as a haven on RMWeb for the erudite, the sophisticated, the debonair and the polymath.

Just shows what a sad world we live in....

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

48 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

TNM’s reputation as a haven on RMWeb for the erudite, the sophisticated, the debonair and the polymath.

Just shows what a sad world we live in....

Or one full of biting sarcasm. But - have I simply re-stated your point?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

You missed out Shakespear's excellent futuristic work foretelling the advent of the panniers - Much Ado About Nothing.

Dave

At least it's not the Midland's fantasy of A Midsomers (sic) Night Dream

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Now I like a lovely pannier tank as much as the next man (as long as the next man isn’t a disturbed individual like @Dave Hunt or @jamie92208 Crimson Lake undies? Really?) but all this punning has really got to stop!

For one thing, it’s doing incalculable damage to TNM’s reputation as a haven on RMWeb for the erudite, the sophisticated, the debonair and the polymath.

Quick, someone open the hatch!   NOW!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

...snip... After a great deal of success, Llewellyn was sadly lost at sea in 1912, when returning to the UK, his steam powered iceberg, was in collision with a large steam liner.

I remember reading about that somewhere, but ISTR that the article stated something about the iceberg moving on.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I remember reading about that somewhere, but ISTR that the article stated something about the iceberg moving on.

It did, but it's assumed the impacted knocked Llewellyn into the sea as he was never seen again.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, SM42 said:

You can make your railway look bigger by standing closer to it

HTH

Andy

You are Father Ted and I claim my £5.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Should I upset some here?

Today I bought a model of a saddle tank.... 

And it's younger brother pannier...

They're in green...

And have copper caps...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I now have a rant. After a day's absence from TNM and the trauma of this morning's SWMBO led expedition into the darkest regions of Shrewsbury's torture shopping emporia I was hoping for some light relief among my understanding friends. Instead of that, what do I find.....?

Pictures of PANNIERS !!**💥😝

Deeply Disturbed of North Hipposhire

However, as any ful kno, a pannier never offends.

Adrian

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

However I currently have in my possession two of the other great GWR and BR(W) locomotives.

I thought that the only GWR loco to be called 'Great' was the Bear and that was a failure.

No slight on our Bear intended, just a sad coincidence.

Dave

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I thought that the only GWR loco to be called 'Great' was the Bear and that was a failure.

Pedantry warning. 

There were others:

• Achilles class 4-2-2 No. 3013 Great Britain, also a BG engine of the Iron Duke class of 1847, replaced by an engine of the Rover class in 1880;
  • Castle class 4-4-0 No. 7007 Great Western, and likewise an Iron Duke/ Rover.
Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Oh, no! A gap in my knowledge of the GWR has come to light.

Hangs head in shame.

Will HH ever speak to me again?

Dave

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Into every life a little rain must fall, its just that in your case the drops are that little (hippo sized) bit bigger I'm afraid. Be brave think of King and Country.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

To flesh out what Stephen has already pointed out. 4-6-0 Castle class  No 7007 was built in 1946 as Ogmore Castle and renamed Great Western in Jan 48, because it was the last Passenger Loco built at Swindon under the auspices of the GWR.

It was withdrawn in 1963 and soon after, somewhat ironically, was scrapped by Cashmores at Great Bridge.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Oh, no! A gap in my knowledge of the GWR has come to light.

Hangs head in shame.

Will HH ever speak to me again?

Dave

But of course I'll speak to you again.

You don't think you'd be getting away with it that lightly.

In fact next time you're down this neck of the woods, I'll have my valet and the butler tie you to a chair, get all the DCC sound diesels out and  just set them running on idle whilst you are forced to listen and I go in and make some tea: Don't worry, you'll get coffee!

(Shades of Alastair Maclean's 'Where Eight Bells Toll'.)

You'll be praying for the gentle hiss of a pannier at rest after that little lot.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12

A pleasant day and evening was had by all.

It was a very nice day so I drove the wee jam-jar (Fiat Spider) along the road to talk to a neighbor and ended up taking several neighbors for a top-down drive to demonstrate the Fiat's capabilities. They thought the acceleration (while not exactly up to US muscle car standards) was pretty much OK but they were quite impressed (if not utterly terrified) by its ability to easily negotiate really sharp 90 degree turns (recommended speed 10 MPH) without slowing down at all 😁

Later neither MrsID or I could be ars.. bothered making diner so we hopped (possibly a slight exaggeration) into IDSIPY and zipped down to the local pub/restaurant (less than half a mile hence) for poisson et frites. The portions are huge. We sat at the bar and split one between us.

The pub is in an excellent location. When you sit at the bar you get a great view of the of the bay and the lake. Next time I'll take some pics if they have no objections.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

But of course I'll speak to you again.

You don't think you'd be getting away with it that lightly.

In fact next time you're down this neck of the woods, I'll have my valet and the butler tie you to a chair, get all the DCC sound diesels out and  just set them running on idle whilst you are forced to listen and I go in and make some tea: Don't worry, you'll get coffee!

(Shades of Alastair Maclean's 'Where Eight Bells Toll'.)

You'll be praying for the gentle hiss of a pannier at rest after that little lot.

That’s being far too lenient, HH. By all means tie him to a chair, but instead of playing diesel noises at him, force him to watch documentary footage of LMS locomotives being cut up for scrap! (with an appropriate soundtrack - think Kubrick’s A Clockwork Orange).

He’ll be so devastated by the carnage that he will latch on to the first working loco he sees - which I am sure, HH, will be a pannier in a soothing green…..

• Like 2
  • Funny 9