Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Blimey what classic vehicle do the Hunts drive I wonder!    And how many wires does the magneto have?  

(I've just checked;  no mags on a Hunter, Hillman or otherwise 🤣)

I think @Winslow Boy had been watching a recently broadcast Agatha Christie’s TV programme where the Lagonda being driven by the amateur sleuths was sabotaged by having the magneto wires cut. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

What a pleasant  if damp day pottering up and down the SVR in good company. 

Managed to travel behind every loco on the roster but avoided the pannier

Didn't have to wait more than 30 minutes anywhere, didn't get too wet, met several people I know and chatted to a few I didn't. 

Nice pint of Worcestershire Way on thd train and home to coffee and cake. 

Mrs SM42 has gone out with her friend for dinner and so it's hhe chippy for me. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Hippo would suggest to Bear that licking the end of Dirty Harry's Magneto .......

That conjures imagines that Bear is gonna need bleach to get rid of......😱

• Agree 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Nice pint of Worcestershire Way on thd train and home to coffee and cake. 

We went for a pub lunch today on our way over to keep MiL company. I was driving.  I usually have something like diet Coke when driving but I tried the no alcohol Guinness today. It isn’t quite the same as normal Guinness but I would drink it again instead of diet cola. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We went for a pub lunch today on our way over to keep MiL company. I was driving.  I usually have something like diet Coke when driving but I tried the no alcohol Guinness today. It isn’t quite the same as normal Guinness but I would drink it again instead of diet cola. 

I drink that quite a bit now, I find it quite OK for unleaded, whereas other alcohol-free beers I find have an evil after-taste.  I have had worse pints of 4 star Guinness!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, polybear said:

I saw a Bus in Bombay where the rubber on the tyres was practically non-existent - there was plenty of canvas showing though.

The other evening I watched a classic 1960 comedy film, 'School for Scoundrels', in which an upstanding and most respectable s/h car dealer, played by Peter Jones, was seen painting new treads on a completely bald tyre.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, polybear said:

I saw a Bus in Bombay where the rubber on the tyres was practically non-existent - there was plenty of canvas showing though.

I and a few other sixth-formers once changed a flat tyre for some pupil's parent who had just dropped them off at the school.  This Mini then wouldn't start but one of us fiddled with some leads and got it going.  Their spare tyre was almost completely bald, but it was the almost complete absence of the offside inner wing that I found more concerning.......

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12

34 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I and a few other sixth-formers once changed a flat tyre for some pupil's parent who had just dropped them off at the school.  This Mini then wouldn't start but one of us fiddled with some leads and got it going.  Their spare tyre was almost completely bald, but it was the almost complete absence of the offside inner wing that I found more concerning.......

Some years ago my school pals Ginger and Colin were driving Ginger's Renault 4CV through the Clyde Tunnel. They were on the steep downhill bit when they were overtaken by a car's wheel. It was one of the Renault's rear wheels 😀

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

I now have a rant. After a day's absence from TNM and the trauma of this morning's SWMBO led expedition into the darkest regions of Shrewsbury's torture shopping emporia I was hoping for some light relief among my understanding friends. Instead of that, what do I find.....?

Pictures of PANNIERS !!**💥😝

Deeply Disturbed of North Hipposhire

• Agree 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Some years ago my school pals Ginger and Colin were driving Ginger's Renault 4CV through the Clyde Tunnel. They were on the steep downhill bit when they were overtaken by a car's wheel. It was one of the Renault's rear wheels 😀

An uncle of mine was a REME driver/mechanic during WW2 and told me how he was once riding as second man in a Matador truck towing some sort of large trailer (can't remember exactly what) over the Cat and Fiddle at night with only masked blackout lights. When going down the western side of the pass the driver said, "Bl00dy 'ell, some nutter's trying to overtake us on the inside," braked and swerved to the right. Both of them were somewhat nonplussed when the 'nutter' turned out to be their own trailer, which continued serenely on until it disappeared over the edge of the road into the darkness.

Dave 

• Funny 18

36 minutes ago, polybear said:

A Guy at work was once spotted sewing the outer wings of his 2CV on (after drilling loads of holes first) using stainless steel locking wire; apparently he'd bought it for a hundred quid and after using it to go to Warton (Lancashire) and back he'd made enough profit on the mileage rates to pay for it.

He also used it to collect a mate from Heathrow one freezing January Day - with the canvas roof rolled back.  His mate says to him "For F. sake Ray, can't we have the roof up - I'm freezin' me nutz off here", to which Ray replied that there was a hole in the exhaust - and one in the floor - and if the roof was up you gassed yourself.

This is the same Ray that when his Wife said she kept getting electric shocks off the Washing Machine he told her to wear wellies and turn it on and off with a broom handle.....

Ah they built them well in the good old days, that's wives by the way.

• Funny 15

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I think @Winslow Boy had been watching a recently broadcast Agatha Christie’s TV programme where the Lagonda being driven by the amateur sleuths was sabotaged by having the magneto wires cut. 

The trouble is I don't have a shed you see so I have to keep myself amused somehow. The alternative was logging on and seeing how much my gas and electricity was going to cost me- its always good for a laugh, once you've picked yourself up off the floor of course.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

The trouble is I don't have a shed you see .........

I can rent some space in my shed to you providing you only model the Midland Railway.

Dave 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

The trouble is I don't have a shed you see 

Dear Lord, we ease off because he suggests we are mean and cruel with our polite comments and assistance about sheds, so we shut up.

Now, after a slight pause, he brings the subject up again. 

But it has given me an idea for a book, or even a series.

A shed full of panniers.

A few sheds of panniers more

The pannier, the shed and the hippo.

Shedding light on pannier tanks:  A technical appreciation.

Panniers on Shed.

One of our panniers is missing (From the shed).

• Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Shouldn't there be a compulsory Health Warning before adding photos like that?

NO!

GWR74110-6-0side-003.JPG.52fb633bb37daa9f71fcc25ac5594d42.JPG

One has even managed to make it over here! Green, no less!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Dear Lord, we ease off because he suggests we are mean and cruel with our polite comments and assistance about sheds, so we shut up.

Now, after a slight pause, he brings the subject up again. 

But it has given me an idea for a book, or even a series.

A shed full of panniers.

A few sheds of panniers more

The pannier, the shed and the hippo.

Shedding light on pannier tanks:  A technical appreciation.

Panniers on Shed.

One of our panniers is missing (From the shed).

Those Magnificent Men in their Pannier Machines.... There could be stage version, performed by a dance troupe: Pan(nier)'s People.

I've got my coat.....

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5