Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

The sun has come out, so I will now adjourn to the garage and continue with my continual tidy up.

My old router table has been found a home which is much preferable to cannibalizing it and taking the remains to the recycling centre.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

When I used to travel up to Edinburgh on the ECML you could book a seat in the "Quiet Coach" - which for the most part did what it said on the tin.

That was also the case on the Virgin WCML trains but I don't know whether it applies on the current Avanti trains. I did witness a guard on a Virgin train ask a passenger who was making phone calls on a quiet carriage to go out into another area before continuing.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

Tomorrow will be taken up by a day out at the SVR. 

Old school chum coming down for the day so a chance for more gum bumping. 

However as I am on  nights tonight it will be a quick power nap in the morning so  I'm not sure how much of that will be going on. 

Still at least I'm not driving. 

Andy

• Like 10

3 hours ago, polybear said:

When I used to travel up to Edinburgh on the ECML you could book a seat in the "Quiet Coach" - which for the most part did what it said on the tin.

Front and rear carriages on 8 car interurban services are Quiet ones on NSW railways. Annoyingly large groups of  elderly on day trips to the Blue Mountains or wherever  tend to be on them, not because they want a quiet trip but because they assume it'll be free of  young people. They themselves still talk away ridiculously loudly to each other and make calls etc.

On another matter, a touching tribute in HO/OO gawd bless her

https://www.bradford.com.au/qeiitrainbge.html

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Front and rear carriages on 8 car interurban services are Quiet ones on NSW railways. Annoyingly large groups of  elderly on day trips to the Blue Mountains or wherever  tend to be on them, not because they want a quiet trip but because they assume it'll be free of  young people. They themselves still talk away ridiculously loudly to each other and make calls etc.

That's a problem that is every bit as ubiquitous as any other. Perhaps there needs to be a batty old folks-free zone? Or is this heading to much in the direction of ageist apartheid? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

NON ACADEMICS deciding whether teaching was up to standard or not?! I think in one move he gained a lot of support from the academic staff!

I don’t think my wife could be described as non academic when she was assessing teaching and learning. Interestingly it wasn’t the engineers or building trades lecturers who made a fuss about appraisal. Aditi used to really like those subjects. She would come home telling me how she had seen a fantastic lesson about sludge management. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

That was also the case on the Virgin WCML trains but I don't know whether it applies on the current Avanti trains. I did witness a guard on a Virgin train ask a passenger who was making phone calls on a quiet carriage to go out into another area before continuing.

Dave

Matthew when he was about 16 told me he was on the C2C train from Chafford Hundred when three people got on at Grays.They were shouting and playing music on their phones. People were glaring. So Matthew said did they know it was the Quiet Zone carriage and there was loads of room in the next one. The reply “it’s a free country, we can do what we like”. Matthew said the man sitting next to him, apparently could have been a Morgan Freeman lookalike, growled “Do what the boy said”. They did. 

Edited by Tony_S
Typo or operator error
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

the man sitting next to him, apparently could have been a Morgan Grenfell lookalike,

He must have been quite big and scary if he looked like a merchant bank!

Dave

(Morgan Freeman maybe?)

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Now ensconced in the Barking Travelodge, suitably tired but Eccles cakes have been purchased. Just done some research about tickets to Cambridge.  £31 via Kings Cross £19 from Liverpool Street.  I think I'm going g to ride in Stadler comfort rather than an ironing board. 

Jamie

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

...snip... On another matter, a touching tribute in HO/OO gawd bless her

https://www.bradford.com.au/qeiitrainbge.html

Hmmm, a very American 4-6-0 and train commemorating the late UK Queen! I find that a bit odd. Too bad that it appears to be very pricey, I would be tempted to get a set.

EDIT: I just re-read the add and see that the locomotive is being sold separately from the tender!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

He must have been quite big and scary if he looked like a merchant bank!

Dave

(Morgan Freeman maybe?)

Definitely what was intended. No idea why why the bank appeared. Probably a brain error rather than a iPad suggestion. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Finally got all the reports on Jill's heart tests together with the cardiologist's OK for her to start driving again. Since we have another appointment with the kitchen designer tomorrow to finalise the deal she said that if I didn't want to go she could drive herself there. And leave her with a carte blanche to decide on extras/upgrades/gold plated fittings etc? Fat chance!

Dave

If I were you I'd sleep in the car so Jill can't sneak out without you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Happy Hippo said:

If I were you I'd sleep in the car so Jill can't sneak out without you.

That wouldn’t work here, we still have two cars. I have suggested getting rid of both and getting one we both like but that had been vetoed. 

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have travelled in a Quiet Coach with people who grumpily complained to others answering their phones but who held their own conversation at a level audible to most of the coach.

• Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Finally got all the reports on Jill's heart tests together with the cardiologist's OK for her to start driving again. Since we have another appointment with the kitchen designer tomorrow to finalise the deal she said that if I didn't want to go she could drive herself there. And leave her with a carte blanche to decide on extras/upgrades/gold plated fittings etc? Fat chance!

Dave

Cut the wires to the magneto. That's what Agatha Christie did and it worked for her. Mind you the hero did jerry rig a repair. How much does Jill know about car electrics?

• Like 5
  • Funny 6

23 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I have travelled in a Quiet Coach with people who grumpily complained to others answering their phones but who held their own conversation at a level audible to most of the coach.

That of course is the inherent fault with mobiles people do tend to shout. Mind you I have learnt quite a few account numbers, passwords and who the fathers are so it does have some benefits.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Cut the wires to the magneto. That's what Agatha Christie did and it worked for her. Mind you the hero did jerry rig a repair. How much does Jill know about car electrics?

Or remove the distributor arms/caps, as the nuns did in The Sound of Music....

• Like 5
  • Agree 3