Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

6 minutes ago, DenysW said:

Only if he takes a more DIY approach to wastewater treatment than is usual in the suburbs.

It is my understanding that sedges or in layman's terms reeds, are the answer to that. However whether HH's estate is sufficiently large enough to accommodate the quantities needed to treat HH's discharges is another question and one I'm not qualified to answer. I shall leave you with that thought as you consumed your chocolate coated rice crispies.

• Funny 11

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Round our way, 4 x 2 has a different meaning, referring to a quite thick piece of timber. 

Here, that piece of timber would be a “two by four”.  I wonder why the dimensions are the reverse.

That is different from a “two-four”, which is a flat of four and twenty cans of beer.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DenysW said:

But it's actually river direction that matters - water having a pronounced habit of flowing downhill unless pumped. Thus Telford's works is quite near HH at Rushmoor.

It's about 5 miles, which is a long walk when you just want to go for a quick swim.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Things are looking up!

The postie has just delivered a large box: 'It's heavy mate' he said.

Well of course it's heavy, inside is a small bench top router table.

No where near top of the range, but a big step up from the old 'bolt your hand router to this generic plank with a hole in the bottom' type arrangement. 

Of course, I will have to use it  a number of times on minor domestic tasks in rather quick succession to prove it is invaluable, before it moves to the back of the bench and then becomes another dust collector and a subject of complaining it was a waste of money.

And I'm supposed to be reducing the size of my tool collection!😂

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Just caught up on a couple of days musings.

I've a couple of pairs of fire proof overalls from working at Bacton gas works. Though on one job, we has to wear plastic overalls over that, along with rubber gloves, respirator and hard hat. This was for working on sour gas filters.

In the RAF I was one issued with underwear , think string vest variety, this was for the foreman's strike, the underwear was at least 25years at date of issue...

As electronics technicians in the RAF we weren' t allowed to wear jewellery of any visible sort even wedding rings were forbidden, due to short circuit possibilities.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Things are pooking up!

The postie has just delivered a large box: 'It's heavy mate' he said.

Well of course it's heavy, inside is a small bench top router table.

No where near top of the range, but a big step up from the old 'bolt your hand router to this generic plank with a hole in the bottom' type arrangement. 

Of course, I will have to use it  a number of times on minor domestic tasks in rather quick succession to prove it is invaluable, before it moves to the back of the bench and then becomes another dust collector and a subject of complaining it was a waste of money.

And I'm supposed to be reducing the size of my tool collection!😂

How many more fingers have you got to lose?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, newbryford said:

How many more fingers have you got to lose?

7 and 7/8 ths at the last count😂.

I chose this  table as it comes with feather boards which hold the timber in place as it passes the cutter, which mean you just use a push stick to pass the timber through.  This keeps the remaining fingers well clear.

I might be a sore loser, but I'm a quick learner! 

A circular saw blade does offer the possibility of a clean cut, or in my case a neat(ish) slot.  A  moving router cutter will mince everything up in double quick time.

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A  moving router cutter will mince everything up in double quick time.

TBH, routers scare the cr&p out of me when using one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

4 hours ago, DenysW said:

........................ water having a pronounced habit of flowing downhill unless pumped. 

Well, not always.

In a former life, during the mid-70s I was gainfully employed taking levels in connection with the then proposed B4265 Llantwit Major by-pass, in the Vale of Glamorgan.

One survey involved levels along the bed of a brook, which   flowed beneath the former Barry Railway Vale of Glamorgan line, near Eglwys Brewis

For those 'in the know' I always used collimation out, then rise and fall back or vice versa.

My readings suggested the culvert flowed up hill.

I returned the following day, and did the survey again, not telling the 'chain boy' why, obviously.

I reversed my use of rise and fall out, collimation back; and the channel levels still suggested the culvert flowed up hill.

I kept quiet about it, and thankfully no one ever noticed.

I changed jobs soon afterwards anyway,

Edited by br2975
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

7 and 7/8 ths at the last count😂.

I chose this  table as it comes with feather boards which hold the timber in place as it passes the cutter, which mean you just use a push stick to pass the timber through.  This keeps the remaining fingers well clear.

I might be a sore loser, but I'm a quick learner! 

A circular saw blade does offer the possibility of a clean cut, or in my case a neat(ish) slot.  A  moving router cutter will mince everything up in double quick time.

Wasn't the push stick hhx problems last time?

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

All power tool scare me when in use,  bladed ones more so than spinny hoke makers,  but am wary of all of them. 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

It's big angle grinders that Bear is less than keen on; I once watched a neighbour cut a slot in the pebbledash on the outside of a house with one - with no eye protection.  Tw@t

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

It is my understanding that sedges or in layman's terms reeds, are the answer to that.

Phragmites australis to non-laymen (laywomen presumably also, stop smirking at the back Fretwell, you horrible excuse for a student). From a previous life: septic tank plus 7.5 m2/person (minimum 75 m2 recommended). Don't go near the decant chamber without a gas monitor that checks hydrogen sulphide levels. Say £60k plus a chat with the Environment Agency.

Otherwise fine.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, DenysW said:

Phragmites australis to non-laymen (laywomen presumably also, stop smirking at the back Fretwell, you horrible excuse for a student). From a previous life: septic tank plus 7.5 m2/person (minimum 75 m2 recommended). Don't go near the decant chamber without a gas monitor that checks hydrogen sulphide levels. Say £60k plus a chat with the Environment Agency.

Otherwise fine.

There we go HH we've sorted the 'back room bit' for you. Now all you need to do is tell us which part of the muddy hollow you want it installing and Bobs your Uncle (there other uncles available if needed).

Ps we'll leave you to raise the 60k- sale of some of the SCR? and to speak to the Environment Agency.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

By shots such things are dear in the UK. We only paid 17% of that for ours and a very east on the eye young lady came from SPANC to say that everything was in order. 

Jamie

Have you spelt that correctly?  and more importantly did she spank you?

Asking for a friend who lives near by and used to be in the air force.

He also likes celery. 

• Funny 12

2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

He also likes celery. 

Just make certain it's wet, as dry celery just doesn't have the same thwack to it so I've been told.

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11

15 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Just make certain it's wet, as dry celery just doesn't have the same thwack to it so I've been told.

".. wiz ze flying 'elmet, and ze wet celery..." 

I remember hearing the writers of 'Allo 'Allo telling an interviewer that they wanted a running gag that sounded like a euphemism but made no sense at all...

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Sometime ago I posted on TNW photos of the prototype of the Earl of Devon pub which people quite liked. However, at the time, I couldn’t find any photographs of the final build of the Earl of Devon that was handed over to ChrisF at an EMGS show*

This evening, I was wandering around the very antique parts of RMWeb and found these photographs of the final Earl of Devon build:

FBB7841E-35FB-40EA-9235-39F45844955E.jpeg.dbeccbf348d5f9d5f19292431843dec0.jpeg

946EF0EA-D1AA-4800-9530-704BD8F95441.jpeg.f8ea807b3758a4125a6e10f30f373fc2.jpeg

493B1320-14B7-4DBB-8A5C-80B40981285F.jpeg.0e515e34a415b6ad5e2538274a5b3768.jpeg

I also saw how my modelling skills have improved between two pub builds: one that I made when I first got back into railway modelling and the other being the Earl of Devon (above).

4E3C82F0-6E85-4648-A384-625FEC44B38F.jpeg.0357cec2406dd48cc2a91ec8a6f6b70b.jpeg

41A83735-483A-4BA6-A25E-3962BEC4154D.jpeg.42f536777bc3fb321ff72444ae1ef673.jpeg

If I recall correctly, this was a European kit (Heljan?) kit, which turned out sort of okay in the end. However, a foray into modelling using foam core board was a disaster:

FF89AF9D-4866-4A0F-99C7-AC56E6E712F8.jpeg.34c10c71b397c42ee9e69d6af85d7bf1.jpeg

Both versions of The Golden Fleece ended up in the bin.

* after ChrisF opened the carrying box with the final Earl of Devon Pub build, he was so impressed with it that he took it over to the Pendon stand, dragging me behind him, and rhapsodised about my building skills to the senior Pendon person at the stand. MOST embarrassing, as I could see hundreds of things that were wrong with it. For some reason, the Pendon fellow agreed with Chris!

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

I remember hearing the writers of 'Allo 'Allo telling an interviewer that they wanted a running gag that sounded like a euphemism but made no sense at all...

Bear's Physics Teacher once admitted to reading the cards in a Newsagent's Window in the East End of London and came across one that read:

"Young Lady does interesting things whilst wearing a Gas Mask"

If only I could remember any of his teachings in such detail.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Sometime ago I posted on TNW photos of the prototype of the Earl of Devon pub which people quite liked. However, at the time, I couldn’t find any photographs of the final build of the Earl of Devon that was handed over to ChrisF at an EMGS show*

This evening, I was wandering around the very antique parts of RMWeb and found these photographs of the final Earl of Devon build:

FBB7841E-35FB-40EA-9235-39F45844955E.jpeg.dbeccbf348d5f9d5f19292431843dec0.jpeg

946EF0EA-D1AA-4800-9530-704BD8F95441.jpeg.f8ea807b3758a4125a6e10f30f373fc2.jpeg

493B1320-14B7-4DBB-8A5C-80B40981285F.jpeg.0e515e34a415b6ad5e2538274a5b3768.jpeg

I wonder what became of such a fine model - I do hope it's found a fitting new home.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I would suggest you express your enquiries to HH's as he brought it up. I on the other hand am a mere innocent bystander who just happened to be idly passing by and only wanted to ensure he was accurate in his pronouncements.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Another outing to The National Archives today. I was half-an-hour late arriving, as I managed to just miss the up Waterloo train at Earley - which was just as well, as I then had time to find that I'd been issued with a ticket to Kew Bridge instead of Kew Gardens.

On the way home, I'd got to Richmond in comfortable time for the Reading train - which doesn't always happen - only to discover that there was none such thanks to a tree on the line between Ascot and Martins Heron. After listening to a member of the SWR staff explaining very carefully twice over to someone who clearly wasn't quite getting it ("GWR are accepting our tickets." "But I haven't got a ticket.") I thanked her for her instructions and got back on the District train towards Kew Gardens... Change at Earls Court, then a GWR ironing board to Reading. That wasn't so bad - a semi-fast, probably would have gone to Oxford if it could, by no means full and first stop Maidenhead. I haven't been out of Paddington for a good long while, so it was all most interesting and educational.

At Reading, I was expecting to get the bus home but thought I might as well saunter past the Southern platforms just in case. Lo and behold there was a train that seemed very sure that it was going all the way to Waterloo! As I crossed the footbridge at Earley, in rolled a down South Western train, nominally the one after the one I hadn't got at Richmond, only a few minutes late.

It must have been a very small tree!  

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear's Physics Teacher once admitted to reading the cards in a Newsagent's Window in the East End of London and came across one that read:

"Young Lady does interesting things whilst wearing a Gas Mask"

If only I could remember any of his teachings in such detail.

I wonder what became of such a fine model - I do hope it's found a fitting new home.

I suppose it's a bit late to enquire as what the Physics teacher was doing reading such adverts in a newsagents window in the East end of London when you were a young impressionable Bear under his care.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

He also likes celery. 

Yes the spelling is correct.  She was wearing a pair of lace up leather boots though. 

No.Mention of celery though.

Jamie

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1