Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Nyda says that at least it makes a change from whaling wimmen, or the opposite end of the spectrum, with Iron Maiden, Nightwish or Powerwolf

A fair amount of my and AditI’s musical tastes overlap but occasionally she will politely ask “what is that racket you are listening to?”  I occasionally ask when she is listening to Classic FM “Is that from a Hobbit film?”. Or referring to any piano concerto as “plinky plonk” music. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This morning I cut and scribed the first part of the bridge parapets.

Those with some memory will recall I used the Squires Tools on line order form.  I'm still awaiting an acknowledgement, so either I failed to press the right buttons, or it is not as good as just ringing up and speaking to a human at the other end.  A telephone conversation will find out tomorrow morning.

Prior to this afternoon's rugby entertainment, I have an appointment with two large pots of bamboo which need planting in the back garden.  I am not permitted to do such work unsupervised so will merely be labouring for the higher authority.

The Guinness is waiting in the fridge:  The Jameson's awaits in the bottle.

1 minute ago, DenysW said:

Tsk, tsk. If you pick at it, it won't get better.

I'm trying to enlighten people into the possibilities that modern technology offers.

But I'm not alone in finding picking at an itchy scab is so satisfying

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I shall be missing such rugby related entertainment this afternoon as we are off to a friends for late lunch / early dinner which has an element of birthday about it and may involve beverages with percentages. 

Luckily no work till tomorrow night 

Andy

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Instead of throwing them out, why not keep them together and take them to the next train show and put them on the "free stuff" table?

15 hours ago, polybear said:

Or in the "Free" section of RMWeb - either post at cost or collect only.

Some items may even be desirable on the 'Bay.

Most of the things which have gone are remains of building kits which were not built as intended e.g. a bit of a back wall of a building, offcuts of plasticard (most now very old and brittle), little bits of grass mat and so on.

As for the electrical bits I did look at the state of the switches - many were worn out Triang/Hornby lever frames, Jouef push buttons and the cheap Woolworths switches with cracked bases.

To be honest anything which had any use went to a friend in the trade some time ago, the stuff I'm clearing now is mainly the tatty remains of demolished exhibition layouts from a long time ago and my loft layout.  I never throw anything useful away!

David

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, bbishop said:

Are there any bits going spare because I found some trams when sorting out my N gauge German stuff, and there is a plan sketched on the back of an envelop.  Bill

Bill, 

I've sent you a couple of PMs.

David

• Like 2

Watching GBR vs Canada. Thought they'd got it sorted by scoring 3 in the top of the first - then they let Canada score 5 in the bottom of the first.

An embarrassing blow-out (by Canada) still looks possible. Or just a slug-fest where the least bad team wins.

No royalty in attendance.

SWMBO is still gloating over that Rugby nonsense where the Tigers thrashed Gloucester.

Update: Canada ahead 6-4. It's now a bullpen game. Still no sign of Harry or Wills to support the national team.

Edited by DenysW
Add update
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Got me a "new" hockey buddy for tonight to fill in for Junior NB - Mrs NB. 

I even managed to persuade her into wearing a team shirt.

20230312_210309.jpg.d7b81d764cbe6d1a9945b16b38ffb047.jpg

We used to go together quite regularly before Junior NB came along.

A 6-0 shutout for the Hawks for a 4-point weekend. 

The layout photo shoot went well and should appear in a mag in a few months.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Greetings. Since my last post I have spent two days at the K&WVR telling people how to tell a Black 5 from a Jubilee and why they weren't actually designed by Stanier. The whole time it snowed and when I got a footplate ride on the L&Y Ironclad running tender first I thought I'd freeze. When we left to come home the car was hidden beneath a snow dome and had to be dug out, which the kind man who ran the B&B we were staying in helped with. 

So I was home in good time to watch the 6 Nations, which was part of my life that I'll never get back. I think that HH and I could start the North Hipposhire Society for the Recuperation of Deeply Disappointed Rugby Supporters. 😥 

Jill has got an appointment with a cardiologist on Wednesday followed by some more tests the next day but she's seen our GP and he doesn't expect anything sinister to be revealed. Fingers crossed. 

Dave

We will all be thinking positive thoughts. So chin up and worry about it if and when it occurs and not before.

As mum always used to say when things didn't always go to plan there's always a way around any obstacle tea vicar. Mum was into the religious thing in a big way.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It is raining which precludes (for me) any of the rigours of gardening.  So I am tasked with going to the local garden centre to pick up some compost;  Yes I know we have a huge compost heap, but the priority for this is to go onto the veg beds.  The bagged compost will be for the seeds which are going to be planted out (in trays) on the dining room table.  From there they will relocate to the garden room ( the ex conservatory) in order to get started.

Since my 'gardening' tasking will cease once a bag of compost has been delivered, I can then get back to the creation of more stonework for Pantmawr North.

The top of the lane is flooded at present, although I don't think the rain caused it, but the copious amount of tears from a neighbour who is a staunch England rugby supporter.

• Like 6
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Jill has got an appointment with a cardiologist on Wednesday followed by some more tests the next day but she's seen our GP and he doesn't expect anything sinister to be revealed. Fingers crossed. 

Not half! A wife with a ticker issue is deeply distressing for all concerned. Fortunately cardiology has never been better as a practical science, and treatments are effective and routine. As I type, Sherry is awaiting a cardioechogram in Newton Abbot, as a follow-up to her surgery. The clinic receptionist turns out to be an actress whom she saw on stage on Friday night!

I hope the Junior Doctors' strike these three days doesn't affect Jill's appointment. Sherry's tests are typically conducted by techies, not medics. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Fortunately cardiology has never been better as a practical science, and treatments are effective and routine.

Absolutely agree! I very much suspect the heart conditions that severely affected my grandmother and mother are the ones that in my case are effectively treated by procedures and medication nowadays. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

The quick trip to the garden centre for compost quickly escalated into a walk around looking at other things for sale, and then a trip to the local supermarket for an impromptu top up shop.

The house where the large pool of tears congregated outside now has a skip on the drive.  I'll pop down later to see how much England rugby paraphernalia has ended up inside it😂.

A bit of painting and glueing before lunch, and then onto the manufacture of the girders.

• Like 7
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Got any spare sheds?

Just askin’ for a friend….

Preferably one to one scale please.

It's nice to know who your friends are isn't it.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The top of the lane is flooded at present, although I don't think the rain caused it, but the copious amount of tears from a neighbour who is a staunch England rugby supporter.

I would love one of those at the moment!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Should that read 'was a staunch........'?

Dave (who having an Irish great grandfather is now a supporter of the green guys)

• Like 4