Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

45 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm calling it a day after another three washes over the buttresses. Possibly a bit too much lichen on the lhs, but I'll see how it looks once I've finished the rest of the bridge.

20230311_135644.jpg.7ec4012689e3ef7630088284586d26ae.jpg

20230311_135635.jpg.1e7222e538a69a304aa7287ebd221f69.jpg

Looks alright to me Big H but those windows behind look as if they could do with a splash and dash me old son.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Some time ago I mentioned about having a clear out of my loft.  I started with model railway stuff, so far I have emptied 8 large plastic storage boxes and several carboard boxes, the contents of about 6 of them have gone in the bins.

Today I got to the electrical bits.  I have found 54 spare point motors - H&M SM3,  Peco (both types) and Seep. Then there were over 200 assorted switches, several 100 metre drums of wire and lots of other bits.

Most of the switches are very old and will go in the bin - I have plenty of brand new ones I bought a few years ago which are better quality.  The wire will be kept as will the point motors - mainly because they can act as spares for those on my layouts - I think there are probably enough for about 70 years at the usual failure rate.

Earlier I found a lot of old backscene sheets, I have kept enough from Faller, Gaugemaster and others to act as spares for the current layouts or to use if I ever scrap a layout and build a new one.  I got rid of a number from other German and Swiss firms as well as some early Peco ones. I did keep some of the  Hamblings Vacy Ash Bilteezi backscene sheets - mainly as reminders of a bygone age.

There remains a large box of n gauge catenary parts - some will be used on my Swiss layout, the left overs should prove useful when I need fine wire for 0 gauge locos and stock.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I always like the way that 'Night Flight to Venus' blended into 'Rasputin' on the Greatest Hits  LP

We've moved onto "similar artists" in the  shuffle now.

ABBA, Ottawan, Baccara and so on.

Still sitting it out.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Had several sports injuries over the years all healed themselves...

Reached the age of 50 joined the family history of becoming T2 diabetic around that time.

Since then all the old injuries have one by one come back to be annoying.

No injuries have been caused by prancing, I've always sat that out...

Dave's comments remind me I'm out of thinner wires....

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Mrs SM42 is in Boney M mode again. 

I'm sitting it out this time. 

Andy

When we went round the Yusapov  palace where Rasputin was killed (repeatedly we were led to believe) I think it was hard not to have the Boney M tune as an ear worm. I suspect the guide would not have been amused if we had started humming while observing the scene recreations, quite good waxworks actually. 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Looks alright to me Big H but those windows behind look as if they could do with a splash and dash me old son.

I won’t be posting any photos of our windows then!

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It's just taken me 40 minutes to comment on one post as my keypad keeps disappearing. NNoidea what's wrong with it but the new tablet nearly exited the window at high speed.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 8

58 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

It's just taken me 40 minutes to comment on one post as my keypad keeps disappearing. NNoidea what's wrong with it but the new tablet nearly exited the window at high speed.

Jamie

Just a guess but it might be switching to voice input.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/03/2023 at 17:59, jamie92208 said:

I just thought I was trying to keep the firebox of a Duchess full, going  up Grayrigg.

Jamie

Twenty shovelfuls each side and ten under the back door should see you half way up - provided you had a good base to start with.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

I almost punched the "smile" rating with the image of the tablet's exit in my mind's eye. And its arrested landing!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 10/03/2023 at 17:16, Northmoor said:

This week I did a very rare thing and bought a new loco.  I can just about justify it for what will be about layout #3 on the to-do list but discounted to the level it was, resistance was futile.  The Peckett W4 is exquisitely tiny:

IMG_0434.JPG.4934a3cc1587da82930ca15b00f65a89.JPG

There are people on RMWeb who found a long list of things on this model to complain about.  My sympathies to them.

I can't see any lamp irons on it..............

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all.

Back from a week on the Iberian Peninsula.

One and half busy days in Lisbon - riding and dodging trams, and 5 days just chillin' down on The Algarve.

Took the opportunity to take the train from Loule to Lisbon and back - 27 euro one way, but pushed the boat out to go business class for the princely upgrade of 2euro....

30 Euro coming back, but that was on an Alfa Pendular getting a move on - 140mph isn't too fast in this day of the TGV/Shinkansen etc, but this was on a single track route.

2071531200_WhatsAppImage2023-03-06at18_25_18.jpg.03b9ac06448e50bfa80a30ce600e4d7f.jpg

The return flight was delayed because of the snow. The flight that formed our return from Faro, departed from Liverpool after the scheduled departure time from Portugal- so nearly a four hour delay.

Normally, a weather delay is one of those things, but we had plans for yesterday if we'd returned on time.

Junior NB has landed a minimum two year contract in Dubai and we were hoping that she could be on her way before we went on holiday, but the paperwork didn't come through in time.

The work permit arrived last Tuesday and the company she is going to work for arranged a flight for 8.40pm Friday as she starts work on Monday. A 5.40pm checkin would give us plenty of time for us to get home from Faro via Liverpool, and then take her to Manchester Airport.

But - we had a plan B in place in readiness.

She's going out with one of her friends and their parents picked up Junior to take her to the airport and we would meet them there - but it was a bit tight!

Junior had already checked her bags in and was waiting to go through to security as we arrived in the Departures hall. 5 minutes later and we were back in the car having said our goodbyes. 

There is a possibility that Junior may be home for 3-4 days in a few weeks for her cousins wedding, but that depends if she can get a reasonably priced return flight.

So I no longer have a Sunday night hockey buddy - but there's only two home games left for this season and Mrs NB has offered to stand in for one of them.

I spent an hour this evening setting up the scenic section of Deadmans Lane at my work's warehouse, in preparation for a magazine photo shoot tomorrow.

DLsetup.jpg.fe8b9db65f8e6169515d921b7cd124fd.jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, newbryford said:

DLsetup.jpg.fe8b9db65f8e6169515d921b7cd124fd.jpg

You are going to have to get up to about 800mph to jump the gap you've left at the end!

Does the photo include some willowy blondes in bikinis draped over the layout?

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

You are going to have to get up to about 800mph to jump the gap you've left at the end!

And do a 180 degree turn to return on the adjacent line....

4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Does the photo include some willowy blondes in bikinis draped over the layout?

No - just me.....

713887503_DLAP.jpg.d0358a8fd199ac0914082b6467dc51e6.jpg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks @AndyIDno it only does it when I quote a post. The keypad appears then disappears in half a second so Ican't type my reply. I tried talking g to it. I got as much response as from SWMBO.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks @AndyIDno it only does it when I quote a post. The keypad appears then disappears in half a second so Ican't type my reply. I tried talking g to it. I got as much response as from SWMBO.

Jamie

What browser are you using on your tablet? On my IPad, it just works with any browser. If I use an android device (Samsung) with the Edge browser I get strange keyboard errors when editing quotes. Works fine on same device with Chrome browser. Only a problem on RMweb. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

I can't see any lamp irons on it..............

I can, but that's not fair because I know where they are, front centre top of smokebox drum and amidships between the spectacles on the cab rear sheet.  Modelu do nice little industrial loco lamps that will fit on these, easily removed if you want to change them around.  I use white both ends on mine, seems ok for colliery work.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, The Johnster said:

I can, but that's not fair because I know where they are, front centre top of smokebox drum and amidships between the spectacles on the cab rear sheet.  Modelu do nice little industrial loco lamps that will fit on these, easily removed if you want to change them around.  I use white both ends on mine, seems ok for colliery work.

Moveable lamps - who would have thought it?

I bet that's a fiddly job.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5