Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

I am on my own today as Jill has gone to a reunion with some old nurse training friends. The restaurant they have gone to is on the A49 north of Whitchurch so the way to get there from here involves one turning on to the A41 then one more on to the A49. Hence when she said that she had better allow an extra five minutes to set up the satnav I asked why did she need that? For some reason that was the wrong response but for the life of me I can't think why.

Anyway, mustn't waste a good opportunity  -  workshop here I come...........

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, SM42 said:

As Valentine's Day, approacheth, I have today expended many modelling tokens in the name of matrimonial harmony. 

Oh, dammit. Valentine's day. Yet another date to forget at my peril.

Dave

• Agree 4
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, SM42 said:

As Valentine's Day, approacheth, I have today expended many modelling tokens in the name of matrimonial harmony. 

I have splashed our on a gift for Mrs SM42 and have purchased a new vacuum cleaner to that end. 

Andy

Living life on the edge

In my first marriage, that would have been instant death. Women need toys and trinkets, not household appliances!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I have splashed our on a gift for Mrs SM42 and have purchased a new vacuum cleaner to that end. 

I have ordered her a set of new filters for ours.

I will probably wrap them nicely.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Having just looked at the video that PB linked to, I am stunned by that layout. For me it ranks with Gordon and Maggie Gravett's Pempoul as one of the best and most inspirational pieces of railway modelling.

I just wish I could emulate it.

Dave 

Well a good start world be to rip your current layout up and consign it all to the bin of despair and start again with a Dapol pannier tank.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, SM42 said:

No, none of those 

Mrs SM42's training is that there should always be plausible deniability for every action of omission. 

It matters not whether official record is kept for unbelieving future generations. 

I was there, I heard it. 

That's good enough for me.

Andy

Buddy ex-next door's SWMBO is never, ever EVER wrong - even when totally proved wrong; all Buddy gets is silence rather than a "you're right" statement.

21 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Having just looked at the video that PB linked to, I am stunned by that layout. For me it ranks with Gordon and Maggie Gravett's Pempoul as one of the best and most inspirational pieces of railway modelling.

I just wish I could emulate it.

Dave 

And such modelling can be very, very disheartening for us lesser mortals when we do exactly what they did, yet it still looks like a train set.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

A Valentines card arrives from the dog we sponsor at Dogs Trust. I don’t think he actually chooses it. He is a permanent resident in one of their centres, due to his “issues”. 
Otherwise nothing involving cards or gifts here. Though this year we are going out on Feb 14th, to see some friends. We will meet in Cambridge as it is about halfway between our homes.  Meeting place will be the Botanical Gardens. I hope they have some nice warm greenhouses at this time of year. 
Tony

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

As a post script, if you are changing your layout, Gordon has some panniers for sale,  you are welcome to come and view them here if you'd like.  There is also a Jinty.

If you want super fine scale there is an ex Lima 4F (new chassis and motor fitted). 

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Andy

Living life on the edge

You obviously are looking forward to a long relaxing stay in  Intensive Care.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

In my first marriage, that would have been instant death. Women need toys and trinkets, not household appliances!

A neighbor got his wife a new lawnmower for Christmas (or her birthday); she was very happy with it. You see, she really did enjoy the mowing.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

For me, the KaDee couplers gave it away.

Here are the two photos I took of the lumber mill.  It really is amazing.

P9242628.JPG.e7141401efb67de20fdd13ba6486a43e.JPG

And another

P9242629.JPG.3a65d0a08c327dab9cbfd3844966d6b8.JPG

Robert is a really nice guy and also speaks very good English which has helpful.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Well a good start world be to rip your current layout up and consign it all to the bin of despair and start again with a Dapol pannier tank.

I did, I did! Green, too!

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Dear sir Happy Hippo

Here at the Gradient School of Sad & unhappy Psychotic Society  (SUPS) we pride ourselves on spotting things that are worrying. We would therefore like to draw your urgent attention to one of your contributors a Mr SM 42 who is exhibiting disturbing signs of Death Wish. 

He was drawn to our attention when he expressed excessive interest in decorating. This has now been further exacerbated by trying to palm off his life partner with an item of household engineering. 

We therefore urge you as the so called leader of this collection of ********* (censored) to stage an intervention and remove said individual from what is obviously a dangerous environment.

Yours sincerely

I M Arse

Lead investigator

SUDS

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Dear sir Happy Hippo

Here at the Gradient School of Sad & unhappy Psychotic Society  (SUPS) we pride ourselves on spotting things that are worrying.  ...snip...

Yours sincerely

I M Arse

Lead investigator

SUDS

UH< just what is the difference between SUPS and SUDS???? 😸

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Fear not good TMMers, the new appliance was on the jobs to do list as dictated by a certain carbon based lifeform that inhabits SM42 Towers and is known locally as Mrs SM42.

It is unlikely that she will ever use it as that appears to be a blue job in these here parts. 

Hence I have purchased the double turbo model with dust injection. 

I didn't go for the cat and dog model (?) though as the neighbour's cat is loitering by the front door, I'm beginning to regret that decision. 

I'm not sure that we have room to store  a machine that can hold a cat ( or dog) in the dust bag though

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

4 minutes ago, DenysW said:

Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems? But this didn't seem to fit the context. Sigh.

For the life of me I couldn't remember what the S stood for. I kept thinking it was Suspect - which in my time I've seen a few of them i'm afraid to say.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Jay in Scotland is known as Jai,

In effin clown town some years ago in a chip shop a wall would go live when it got hot and steamy.

A light switch had been removed and plastered over... But leaving the wires connected up!!!.

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

About 50 mm that's about 2 " to you, according to my keyboard.

That's hugely inaccurate, that be 1.96850393701 inches.. That 0.031496062992 of an inch could be important .

• Like 2
  • Funny 9