Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Around here if you go trainspotting at the lineside, all you see is a succession of 2 and 3 car DMUs.  Freight traffic?  What freight traffic?

Maybe you could use your aforementioned Gopro to record trains.

Become an older generation Francis Bagette.......

And you can review the video later to see if they have the correct tail lights on.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Off to Derby tomorrow to chair a meeting of the Midland Railway Society committee for the last time as I am retiring at the AGM in April. In two periods I have been chairman for 25 years so it’s about time I let someone else have a go. In celebration I’m going to take some bacon butties for lunch.

Dave

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Off to Derby tomorrow to chair a meeting of the Midland Railway Society committee for the last time as I am retiring at the AGM in April. In two periods I have been chairman for 25 years so it’s about time I let someone else have a go. In celebration I’m going to take some bacon butties for lunch.

Dave

I hope you have a lovely time.

Nyda's away tomorrow, so I could have come and enjoyed the trip with you, but the 10 pack of bacon a couple of baguettes, cans of cider and an afternoon of 6 Nations rugby forces me to stay away.

Mick's kind thoughts about filming 2nd gen DMUs and his comments about checking the lamps on the rear did make me think that perhaps a video of my cleaning and then firing up my guards lamp might make a good first subject.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Hopefully when Mrs SM42 is home and tries her phone you can perhaps identify it as a problem with just your phone. Perhaps,the television chap will sort it out.

It seems to have self restored 

Everything now installed. Mrs SM42 connected too. 

Just can't seem to get the telly back where it was. 

All seems a big skewiff to what it was earlier. 

Never mind. 

It has been announced that we now need a new TV to take full advantage of thd new tech. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

In the days before this Wokist claptrap it was a simple choice - you were either Midland persuasion or something else. And the only green motive power tolerated in polite circles were Midland pre-1883 or BR(LMR) Ex-LMS express passenger engines. 

Dave

Bear feels sure that the Wg. Cdr actually means:

"In the days before this Wokist claptrap it was a simple choice - you were either Midland persuasion or something else or wrong"

🤣

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Big Bertha was replaced by panniers but rather a lot of them I think. 

They vibrated ferociously, but did go up and down the hill. And later  the same duty was carried out by Hymeks.  This did for their hydraulic transmissions as the average train speed up the bank through Blackwell was at the change point between 1st and 2nd gear which caused a lot of Hunting (appropriate?)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

I'd just like to point out that in the US the pejorative adjective "woke" is applied to anyone who does not support a former orange tinted president. I'm definitely woke.

In the US people who use “woke” as an insult also seem to think being antifascist is  a bad thing. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

They vibrated ferociously, but did go up and down the hill. And later  the same duty was carried out by Hymeks.  This did for their hydraulic transmissions as the average train speed up the bank through Blackwell was at the change point between 1st and 2nd gear which caused a lot of Hunting (appropriate?)

Was the 9F Lickey Banker before or after the pannier use?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Was the 9F Lickey Banker before or after the pannier use?

Before - 1956, replacing Big Bertha. Panniers came in 1958.

24 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

But there were a number of standard 3F tank engines assigned to the banking duty alongside Big Bertha, so no shame to those panniers, one has to say.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

And later  the same duty was carried out by Hymeks.  This did for their hydraulic transmissions as the average train speed up the bank through Blackwell was at the change point between 1st and 2nd gear which caused a lot of Hunting (appropriate?)

That was fixed by locking out first gear.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

22 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

In the US people who use “woke” as an insult also seem to think being antifascist is  a bad thing. 

"Woke" is just another way of making a political statement without appearing to be political. IMHO it has no place on a forum such as this.

Kindly knock it off folks 😀

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, AndyID said:

"Woke" is just another way of making a political statement without appearing to be political. IMHO it has no place on a forum such as this.

And with that the woke were PTS (humanely).

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I do agree. It gets used a lot as an insult in this country too, usually criticising people who probably have the same views I do. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Sometimes whatever hapless engine was passing by was press-ganged:

60910.jpg

[c. 1902. Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC 60910.]

Nowzdays they use a class 66.  Bankers are still needed sometimes.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Actually, the panniers, 94xx, replaced Jinties, which they were worth 1 and a half of.  IIRC there were 4 of them, replacing 4 Jinties.  Big Bertha was replaced by a 9F, both worth 3 Jinties. 

The Hymeks had to have the lower transmission ratio locked out, and there would be an argument that hydraulics are less than ideal for heavy banking work.  The replacement 37s that I remember from my own time on the railway were fine; IIRC there were 3 of them.  The diesels had the advantage that they could be driven in multiple.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

It has been announced that we now need a new TV to take full advantage of thd new tech.

If you do get a new TV I can recommend Princes in Wem. We've just got a new one from them and their service is excellent.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Agree 1