Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 minute ago, SM42 said:

Aaaannnd 

We're  playing the long game.

Andy

Please keep your arms inside the car at all times.

When the seat belt sign is illuminated please remain seated.

Just before impact you will hear the following; +BRACE+BRACE+BRACE.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Only if you come and collect it. Just remember this time I'm not accepting the coffee jar full of change. It took ages to count it, then  had to take it to the bank.

Have you ever stood in a queue with 8 pounds -thats weight by the way, of 5 p's, 4 pounds of 10 p's and 2 pounds of 50 p's. No strike that you might have knowing you lot.

So bring your debit card as I've gone digital alright.

Your friendly neighborhood drug dealer.

That reminds me of when I worked behind the counter for the post office, almost sixty years ago. Quite often people used to come in with bags of coins to 'change up'. We used to bag them up according to the denomination and then weighed them to check the amount knowing that 10/- worth of (pre-decimal) pennies weighed a given amount. Certain coins were quite rare* or could be very old** and we knew what to look for and separate them out. *Some Victorian /Edwardian pennies had letters alongside the year indicating that it was minted in other than the Royal Mint. **I once found a 1779 halfpenny in one of the bags of coin. A coin dealer used to call in every now and then and buy the coins, the proceeds went into the staff Christmas fund. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Please keep your arms inside the car at all times.

When the seat belt sign is illuminated please remain seated.

Just before impact you will hear the following; +BRACE+BRACE+BRACE.

The gin bottle is bracing itself along with the vodka bottle 🤪

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

… we knew what to look for and separate them out …

It would be too late by that point, but if you were receiving coins directly in payment, it was always worth checking that foreign coins hadn’t been slipped in. Pre-decimalisation, Channel Islands, South Africa etc. used to have coins of the same appearance as the equivalent British ones. And the odd European coin could substitute for (more valuable) British ones.

Edited by pH
Less is more.
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

I would occasionally find (mostly) foreign coins in the reject slot on the bus farebox and sometimes wonder how/why certain ones ended up in there. The three most memorable were from France, Dubai, and Norway.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Like I said, it depends on the noise the Deltic makes. Just an electric hum = £170 ish whereas lots of bells, whistles, rumblings, horns etc. = about £230. Not being a DCC afficionado I can't offer an opinion on partial or full except that I sometimes wish at exhibitions that it was banned from diesel motive power depot layouts.

Dave 

The noisy one is currently £260.

7 hours ago, SM42 said:

That's 3 rates. 

Which one is in use ?

I think any Deltic conversion  rate should specify either Deltic ( fs) Deltic (ns) or Deltic (r) so we know which is in use in any given exchange calculation. 

One Deltic (fs) is around 30% more than one Deltic ( r) 

Or we could just choose one for future use

Meanwhile. 

Lots of police cars heading into town 

What are those girls up to?

Andy

Newsflash.

Just had urgent call for a pick up down the road from the pub. 😬

On the Beary Currency Exchange 1 Deltic = 170 Tokens

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Back home after burglaring about on skis in Utah and Colorado. Managed two days at Alta, one at Snowbasin and four at Snowmass. The snow was great but it was a bit chilly. For the first time ever I used chemical heater thingies in my gloves to try to warm my hands.

My usual route is through Montana but I rerouted via Boise on the return trip to avoid some serious snow. The drive North on Idaho Highway 95 was spectacular. I didn't have my camera and I wanted to get home but it's supposed to be sunshine tomorrow and I will try to get some pics.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, polybear said:

The noisy one is currently £260.

On the Beary Currency Exchange 1 Deltic = 170 Tokens

Being a practising skinflint I would baulk at spending a whole Deltic so, like other currencies, we need a suitable subdivision.  Centideltic doesn’t sound right so can I ask my learned friends …

1 Deltic = 100 what?

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, BoD said:

Being a practising skinflint I would baulk at spending a whole Deltic so, like other currencies, we need a suitable subdivision.  Centideltic doesn’t sound right so can I ask my learned friends …

1 Deltic = 100 what?

You can get about 12 Limadeltics to the Deltic on some currency exchanges.

@Happy HippoWelcome back; remember to sell your empty boxes on eBay.  It's amazing how many modelling tokens or Penderyns - other currencies are available - they can generate from people who want to sell wagons as "never out of the box" (yeah right, never out of the last one it was put in).

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, BoD said:

1 Deltic = 100 what?

I think the full table goes like this

1 x Deltic = 100 A3 Pacifics

1 x Deltic = 50 Bullied Light Pacifics

1 x Deltic = 25 Princess Coronations

1 x Deltic = 10 Midland Compounds

1 x Deltic = 5 Class 37

1 x Deltic = 2 Bullied Q1

1  x Deltic = 1 Deltic

I believe the Deltic is considered fractional when it comes to ex GWR currency.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As someone who has to deal with model railway currencies in 4 places (UK, US, EU and Switzerland), I think that I can say that the current rates are as follows:

• 1 BR Deltic = £216.66 (the Accurascale D9000 - BR Green w/cantrail (VXC) - DCC Sound Fitted)
  • 1 SBB Crocodile = CHF 476.25 (the Märklin 39595 Elektrolokomotive CE 6/8 II Krokodil SBB)
  • 1 Royal Bavarian State Railways S2/6 = 670,90 € (the BRAWA H0 Dampflok S2/6 der K.Bay.Sts.B. DCC Sound)
  • 1 Union Pacific Big Boy = $749.99 (Precision Craft Models HO scale 4-8-8-4 Big Boy DCC fitted)

Currently I am being paid in Big Boys, but my expenditures are in Crocodiles, whilst discretionary (modelling) spending is in Deltics. So if I have 1.6 Big boys/month for modelling needs that would give me 4.48 Deltics, 2.32 Crocodiles or 1.64 RBSR S2/6.

I do have a question - what do other TNMs do with their small change (the odd Dapol 7 plank, Hornby horse box or Bachmann Toad, etc.)? Do you let it just accumulate in a cupboard or give it to charity?

• Like 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Simples, my dear Herr Doktor, the loose change just buys more wagon kits to overload the shelves of shame or is spent replenishing the small tool and fastener stocks to replace all of those things that have found their way down the black hole in the muddlung room floor since the last purchase.

However speaking as a modeller of things Midland in a larger scale perhaps the unit should be either a Slaters Compound kit, 2 Full fat noisy Deltics, or a Finney Duchess with wheels and plates.  The latter is roughly  3 full fat Deltics.

I did however pick up an unstarted Compound for I Deltic on the Bring and Buy.  The only thing missing was the instructions.  It is still reposing on one of the shelves of shame

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Simples, my dear Herr Doktor, the loose change just buys more wagon kits to overload the shelves of shame or is spent replenishing the small tool and fastener stocks to replace all of those things that have found their way down the black hole in the muddlung room floor since the last purchase.

However speaking as a modeller of things Midland in a larger scale perhaps the unit should be either a Slaters Compound kit, 2 Full fat noisy Deltics, or a Finney Duchess with wheels and plates.  The latter is roughly  3 full fat Deltics.

I did however pick up an unstarted Compound for I Deltic on the Bring and Buy.  The only thing missing was the instructions.  It is still reposing on one of the shelves of shame

Jamie

Had you perused a facsimile of the instructions prior to purchase, they would have stated:

'Do not purchase this kit!'

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

According to the late Douglas Adams there are three freely-interchangeable currencies.  

"The Altarian Dollar has recently collapsed.  Flanian Pobble-beads are only exchangeable for other Flanian Pobble-beads and the Triganic Pu is so large that no-one has yet been able to own one.  The exchange rate of eight Ningis to one Pu is easy enough but the Galactic Banks refuse to deal in fiddling small change. "

Where do Deltics fit in?  

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2