Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Alas, it is snowing again (well, it is January.) But it's also supposed to be sunny tomorrow so I suppose I'll just have to go up to the mountains. I'm going to pick-up a pair of demo skis and give them a shot. My current skis are perfect for carving down well-groomed slopes at high speed. They steer beautifully with virtually no effort. It's a bit like running on rails.

The snag is it's difficult for my old legs to make them make rapid turns on steep slopes to keep my speed down.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Today I took your Olympic crown. Whilst trying the well-known 'let's try to get the box from the bottom of the pile' I upset the pile and the box at the top ended up upside down and lidless on the floor. Fortunately there was nothing breakable in it but.........

..... it was full of opened packets of weathering powders. The mess, spread over a large area of floor as well as the bottom shelf of the cupboard and its contents, had to be seen to be believed and took most of my modelling time to clear up, after which I had to have a shower and put my clothes in the washing machine. What a fun day.

Bu**er.

Dave

A late friend of mine worked at Hartlepool. One day a crane in the docks dropped a large container of carbon black that it was unloading from a ship.  Apparently  the result was the Henry Ford version of your mishap Dave..

Jamie

• Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

With young ladies getting me free drinks.

What's not to like?

Behind bars I see though. Is there something you like to tell us? Has Pc Plod finally caught you whilst you were 'checking' the strategic cake reserve?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Behind bars I see though. Is there something you like to tell us? Has Pc Plod finally caught you whilst you were 'checking' the strategic cake reserve?

Nothing so exotic, as you will know by reading back through these pages, that I am an endangered species and also hold diplomatic immunity.

The bars are there simply to keep me safe from being mobbed by thousands of adoring  female admirers.

Besides as DH and Jamie will tell you, getting behind bars is a sure fire way of getting closer to the whisky optics.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Is it a place selling hippo burgers?

Has HH gone into the burger restaurant business?

There would appear to be a chain of them. To avoid being a menu item HH will need to avoid Birmingham and Cardiff which seem to be the nearest to Telfland. 
There used to be chain called “Giraffe” too. I have just checked and there still is but I think the one we went to a couple of times closed. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

With young ladies getting me free drinks.

What's not to like?

I didn't know that you drank tap water HH. Uisge beatha* yes but tap water?

*Scots gaelic for whisky, AKA water of life

Dave

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I didn't know that you drank tap water HH. Uisge beatha* yes but tap water?

*Scots gaelic for whisky, AKA water of life

Dave

Aka eau de vie, plentiful around where I live.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

I checked out the Fat Hippo menu, and I reckon Happy Hippo has a case for suing for impersonation.

5AA13E36-2486-4F8A-9CC0-4FE9918F7855.jpeg.c9950fdecb3bf2a191e45d8bc728ecbd.jpeg

Not a single bit of cake or steamed pudding on the menu. So clearly no Hippos are involved in any way, shape or form.

There’s not even a Hippo (meat) burger on the menu (Hippos are apparently deliciously edible: https://eatdelights.com/hippopotamus-taste/)

Quite frankly I’m disappointed - no cake, no toffee pudding, no hippo burger….

Edited by iL Dottore
Added link
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 7

Some snow was pushed around - there was quite a lot of new snow too. I also met some old friends (they actually spotted me in the bar) and we did a bit of catching up and some skiing

With some coaching from my friends the demo skis helped me negotiate a run that had previously defeated me and I've now decided what I want go for. Not sure how they quantify on the Deltic scale but they must be up there 😀

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I checked out the Fat Hippo menu, and I reckon Happy Hippo has a case for suing for impersonation.

5AA13E36-2486-4F8A-9CC0-4FE9918F7855.jpeg.c9950fdecb3bf2a191e45d8bc728ecbd.jpeg

Not a single bit of cake or steamed pudding on the menu. So clearly no Hippos are involved in any way, shape or form.

Quite frankly I’m disappointed - no cake, no toffee pudding, no hippo burger….

Bear would suggest that suggests Hippo most definitely IS associated associated with the above establishment....what self-respecting Hippo would wish to voluntarily deplete their very own SCR?

Actually that's not a bad menu for at least one Bear I can think of - though I suspect a need for Statin's for ever after may well be required.  Just three dessert options (Ice Cream/Choccy Brownie/Belgian Waffle) is a bit PP though - and a little surprising cos' I've always thought that the prices of desserts in many/most restaurants to be somewhat of a p.take and a very easy way to jack the profits up for very little effort.  The black ice cream seems somewhat strange though....

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 07/01/2023 at 18:40, Happy Hippo said:

With the amount of paint I've found in the collection, I could also start a painting and decorating business.

Paint the drive and ballast the walls and ceilings:  That would be novel!

image.png.e42ae411f586c1b3c940e0b3a87855eb.png

image.png.c7e511a807583fe3f56659caa58aebba.png

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

The black ice cream is the result of DH being employed as a chef. Apparently his motto is:

My spills are your thrills!

Hmmm....heavily weathered ice cream....not sure about that one....

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

20 minutes ago, polybear said:

Hmmm....heavily weathered ice cream....not sure about that one....

Pity it’s not “egg and bacon ice cream” as invented by Heston Blumenthal - it’s rather good (as is bacon jam - ideal on savoury scones).

Amazing taste treats await when you “think outside the box” (or in your case Bear, “outside the igloo”)

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2