Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave John said:

.....set at the correct 20 mm gauge looks about right. 

Ah, yes, after delving into my A level maths notes it has transpired that rather than wittering on about 22mm gauge, by application of some advanced calculus the reduction of 1000mm (AKA 1 metre) to 1/50th full size equates to 20mm. I appreciate that this is possibly too cerebral compared with most of my posts but, as a well-known contributor to other threads on RMW, some concerning locomotive lamps, says, "You've just got to get these things right." So there we have it - 20mm it is. 

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

For some reason every time I have recently tried to react to a post I just get a message saying, "Sorry, there was a problem reacting to this post," and my reaction doesn't appear. Anyone else have this problem? 

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

For some reason every time I have recently tried to react to a post I just get a message saying, "Sorry, there was a problem reacting to this post," and my reaction doesn't appear. Anyone else have this problem? 

Dave

I have also had the same problem. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Are you referring to "lampgate"? 😉

Isn't that one of the lesser known stations in Wigan?

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

A distant acquaintance wants to know if they have lamps, and if so, do they get changed?

Yep, there was a filum made about the men that used to do it. It’s on YouTube if you search for ‘The change of the Lamp Brigade’.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Why? Because it might really have trains in it? s_shocked-10.gif

He hasn't seen the trains since they left the fiddle yard on Monday.

They'll get round the front eventually

Andy

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

If this happens to me, I just refresh the page.  It seems to solve the issue.

Paul

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Ah, yes, after delving into my A level maths notes it has transpired that rather than wittering on about 22mm gauge, by application of some advanced calculus the reduction of 1000mm (AKA 1 metre) to 1/50th full size equates to 20mm. I appreciate that this is possibly too cerebral compared with most of my posts but, as a well-known contributor to other threads on RMW, some concerning locomotive lamps, says, "You've just got to get these things right." So there we have it - 20mm it is. 

Dave

Sorry Dave, but that's no good at all.

First of all what you have to do is convert this meter thing into feet. According to my Casio Super-FX calculator (formerly the property of one or other of the kids when they were is school and who are now all over forty) that's PD close to 3.3 feet.

Now if 20mm represents 3.3 feet the actual scale is 6.06 mm/ft which, for easy math, we could round off to 6mm/foot. So you see it isn't really 1:50 scale, it's actually 6mm scale. Pretty obvious really.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

15 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Additionally, is there a difference in luminosity between the electric lamp at the base of the  chimney and the oil lamp on the platform? Have to get theses things right you know, as your acquaintance will tell you 🤪.

Does the “acquaintance” manage this? Telekinetic luminosity ain’t for beginners.

It’s all in the mind y’know.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Sorry Dave, but that's no good at all.

First of all what you have to do is convert this meter thing into feet. According to my Casio Super-FX calculator (formerly the property of one or other of the kids when they were is school and who are now all over forty) that's PD close to 3.3 feet.

Now if 20mm represents 3.3 feet the actual scale is 6.06 mm/ft which, for easy math, we could round off to 6mm/foot. So you see it isn't really 1:50 scale, it's actually 6mm scale. Pretty obvious really.

I've discovered thst Slaters do axles with a b to b of 20.2mm which seems anout right to me.  I must go back to the museum that I visited a couple of weeks ago and measure and photograph varioys things.  They have a bit of track and a flat wagon similar to the one I'm modelling outside.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Your formula is somewhat at fault because the Damned Frenchies use 1:43.5 for their 0 gauge stuff as opposed to the more normal 1:45 which is the Continental European norm.  You have been drawn into the Gravettesque world of 1:50 by my sneakily linking TNM to an article on Pempoul.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, PMP said:

Yep, there was a filum made about the men that used to do it. It’s on YouTube if you search for ‘The change of the Lamp Brigade’.

Thank you Paul, my mouthful of tea has just departed in the direction of the keyboard😂.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I've discovered thst Slaters do axles with a b to b of 20.2mm which seems anout right to me.  I must go back to the museum that I visited a couple of weeks ago and measure and photograph varioys things.  They have a bit of track and a flat wagon similar to the one I'm modelling outside.

Jamie

Pempoul uses 18.2mm gauge track. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Have the gauge wars broken out across La Manche.   Will there be treaty of Hipposhire to conclude them.

And will it include an agreement on the size of lamps and their correct employment? I believe that the French have a saying on the subject that goes something like Claire de Looney.

Dave

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

If the Slaters axles are 20.2mm b-b that would seem to indicate a gauge of about 22mm, which would suggest 7mm/ft for metre gauge. So, the question now is do we have a scale of 7mm/ft or 1/50 or Andy’s 6mm/ft? Only one thing for it, we will have to establish the SM (scale metre for those whose minds drift to other things) Society and show those damned Frenchies that we mean business!

Alternatively we could just wait for Jamie to measure a few things.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1