Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, AndyID said:

OK - Enough procrastination. I will "hit the slopes" (hopefully just not too hard) tomorrow.

You will be able to check my progress here. I'll give you a wave,

Tried that but it is all dark and no-one is there.

What do you mean, time zones?  🤣

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

At the risk of seeming political I'm now getting insane "Master of the Universe" Trump ads flashed up here. If it wasn't so incredibly sad it might even be funny. It's either that or "crypto is a safe investment, trust me".

BTW, I hope you all know that "Gullible" is not in the dictionary,

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Tried that but it is all dark and no-one is there.

What do you mean, time zones?  🤣

We had an email last night from a hotel we had stayed in a few years ago in Austria. Although we went in summer their real high season is during winter. Yesterday’s email had this year’s new features. There were photos of seasonal foods (much cake) and an invitation to go early morning black run skiing with Franz Klammer . I am sure we will go back one day but it will be in summertime. 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

For you consideration m’lord, made yesterday a’ternoon. (The congealed cows milk* was not added to the sandwich)

*cheese

AFCCBE65-B530-417A-820D-E23B98F6493A.jpeg.c9747cd1b9d3392a498259219a2f25bc.jpeg

9/10 Douglas, a good effort and no doubt very tasty. To achieve top marks it should be on a bap (bun in Americanese I think). And I applaud the fact that the cheese slices are for consumption as a separate course rather than spoiling the baco 'n egg.

Dave

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

At the risk of seeming political I'm now getting insane "Master of the Universe" Trump ads flashed up here. If it wasn't so incredibly sad it might even be funny. It's either that or "crypto is a safe investment, trust me".

Here we go:

image.png.24e3d9601eb34511777b5cde30e4b7f9.png

From the BBC website:

Later on Truth Social Mr Trump said the non-fungible tokens (NFTs) were "very much like a baseball card, but hopefully much more exciting".

He added that the cards, costing $99 (£81) each, "would make a great Christmas gift".

Buyers will also be entered into a sweepstake, with the chance of winning prizes including a gala dinner or a game of golf with Mr Trump."

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Yes, and did you know that if you say the word ‘orange’ out loud, very slowly and clearly,  it sounds like gullible. Try it and see.

• Funny 12

4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Just as I was winding down for a stress free and quiet Christmas, my  second cousin, Bryant, goes and spoils it for the whole family.

Now I'm going to have to spend the weekend on damage limitation!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1710327/Uganda-news-hippo-toddler-boy-baby-latest

Sorry Big H i can't see what all the fuss is about. They got him back didn't they. What more do they want.

Or is it that they didn't want him back and we eying up a big compo claim.

I don't know first off they don't want the brat, then they complain when i spit him out.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

I was getting ready for a quiet Christmas too  but ,

the timer on the Christmas lights has failed to understand the concept of off, i have tobdig out and put up thd Christmas tree, there is more painting to do ( already done some) I need to find an empty box to wrap for Mrs SM42 ( she did ask for nothing after all) and only have Tuesday off between now and Christmas Eve.

Pressure's on.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

For you consideration m’lord, made yesterday a’ternoon. (The congealed cows milk* was not added to the sandwich)

*cheese

I hope someone was standing very nearby with a phone and ready to quickly dial 911.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

Morning all,

Last day of proper school for this semester today, Monday and Tuesday of next week will be finals and then I’m off for 2.5 weeks. The joy.

More work has been done on the Duke. The left side driving wheel splasher is now more or less complete, however it has yet to be mounted and the sandbox needs several more plates adding to it.

E9A9620E-4DB1-4A92-B5A4-DE4EC502F1EE.jpeg.09aabd8903098617e1370a4593679c24.jpeg

I’ve also fitted the first connecting rod in place on the crank. The bearing has yet to be honed so it’s very stiff. Big end bolts needs slacking off as well.

F8505AA5-9715-4F58-AE74-A3673F3CFE97.jpeg.4ba90b7007e4a1789c4b36d1f1806460.jpeg

This is the best picture I could get of it.

Today I’ll finish the right hand side splasher and then over the weekend I’ll turn the piston rod and crosshead. Then it’s on to attaching the cab, and a few other things.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
Semester not smelter. Feels like to some days though.
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

I could always come up to MD and be a pain in your other ear!

My desktop PC is declining to get on line.  Everything else is working via the wireless router, so I am assuming it is PC orientated: Of course all this has happened after the latest Windows update, so I'm blaming Microscab.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, DenysW said:

@Dave Hunt's footer includes "The moving finger writes and having writ, moves on....."

Am I the first to notice a sadly frequent reminder of HH's recent digital problems in this? Or is it just Philosophy? I've never been good at this subtlety business, so I have to ask.

The quote in my footer comes from The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, who was an accomplished ancient Persian astronomer, mathematician and poet and therefore IMHO worth quoting. I began using it back in the dark ages when HH had a full set of digits. Had it referred to HH it probably would have read, The moving finger slips and having slipped is gone...

Dave

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Only if caught.

There are 80,659 people in jail across the UK "Only for getting caught." * 

* https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/offender-management-statistics-quarterly-january-to-march-2022/offender-management-statistics-quarterly-january-to-march-2022

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1