Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

We had a dusting, like someone  sneezed whilst using weathering  powder 

You can tell it was serious. The buses have stopped running. 

Most of them about 20 years ago.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 11/12/2022 at 17:28, AndyID said:

Paris (France) 😀 is 49 degrees North. Miami is 26 degrees North.

New York City is a good bit further South than Paris at 41 North. I'm almost in Canada and I'm still further South than Paris 😀.

London is a bit South of Moscow, but not all that much.

13 US states are completely north of the most southerly point in Canada. Another 14 states are partly (though some, like California, only just) north of it.

Edited by pH
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, pH said:

13 US states are completely north of the most southerly point in Canada. Another 14 states are partly (though some, like California, only just) north of it.

Living in the UK I had a vague idea that London and New York were sort of opposite each other across the Atlantic but they are nothing like it. We were in Mesa Arizona for several years and it's at the same latitude as Casablanca 😀

• Like 11

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

We've had some snow here.  About 2cm.  The seaweed twirlers say that it will be gone today.

Jamie

No shortage here. We've had about 20 inches so far although it has melted down to around 10 on the ground. It's quite mild at the moment (daytime temps above freezing) but the forecast for next week predicts low temps of zero (Fahrenheit!) which is unusually cold for here, followed by more snow. A White Christmas seems highly likely.

The mountain where I ski typically gets around 400 inches of snow every Winter.

I have upgraded the headlights on Lorna's Jeep Wrangler, at least I think I have. We'll find out tomorrow night.

• Like 11

On 11/12/2022 at 23:14, AndyID said:

I've been playing with the air fryer. The bacon here is usually very fatty

but the air fryer converts it into this

which ends up going into one of these 😀

DSCN5771.JPG.c76b756950872868b7aebd0fdc6c97e0.JPG

Oh dearie me, methinks that AndyID needs to attend remedial bacon sandwich making classes.

For one the thing the bread to bacon ratio looks all wrong. From the photo it would seem that it’s a 1 to 1 ratio (1 part bread to 1 part bacon) but the minimum acceptable standard is 1 to 2 (1 part bread to 2 parts bacon). Additionally, as @Winslow Boy pointed out, there’s a conspicuous absence of HP sauce…

The therapeutic benefits of a bacon sandwich are well known; in addition to having the right bread-bacon ration, the bacon needs to be co-administered with HP sauce to get the full therapeutic benefit. What you have there, I’m sorry to say Andy, is a homeopathic bacon sarni…..

Finally, it’s a little known medical fact that the therapeutic benefit of a bacon sarni can be augmented by the addition of soss, black pud, grilled mushrooms, white pud, lorne sausage or haggis. But there’s no evidence to support either grilled tomato or baked beans augmenting the already notable therapeutic effect of a bacon sandwich.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

You bring up an excellent point, HH, and as a fellow predator, albeit not ground-borne, I think that it is time we teamed up to counter this porcine intrusion into our otherwise select ambit. I would be willing to attend a summit meeting at the Muddy Hollow and would even provide cake.

Sincerely

Crab One

That sounds painful.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Oh dearie me, methinks that AndyID needs to attend remedial bacon sandwich making classes.

For one the thing the bread to bacon ratio looks all wrong. From the photo it would seem that it’s a 1 to 1 ratio (1 part bread to 1 part bacon) but the minimum acceptable standard is 1 to 2 (1 part bread to 2 parts bacon). Additionally, as @Winslow Boy pointed out, there’s a conspicuous absence of HP sauce…

**NEWSFLASH**

Bear agrees with iD's Culinary preaches on this one......

17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Finally, it’s a little known medical fact that the therapeutic benefit of a bacon sarni can be augmented by the addition of soss, black pud, grilled mushrooms, white pud, lorne sausage or haggis. But there’s no evidence to support either grilled tomato or baked beans augmenting the already notable therapeutic effect of a bacon sandwich.

Oh, oh, hang on a minute.....stop press......

So close, and yet so far.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Are you saying David Attenborough is wrong?😮

He doesn't have the same gravitas as Johnny Morris and his researchers are lazy and content to feed from the table of disinformation found in social media. Apart from the staged encounter with Archie the silverback gorilla and his family,  all of whom received an appearance fee from the BBC, he doesn't attempt to interact and find out what it's like on the other side of the camera.

Unlike Dr Doolittle who is multi lingual and very much respected for this.

Funnily enough it was his great nephew James who was behind training a select few American Crab Vutures to take to the air off ships.

As an aside, it is a little known fact that Archie and Co did receive intense performance coaching by George the Stunt Hippo prior to their TV appearance.

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, DenysW said:

Putting Lizard Point into the USofA? Let alone the Channel Islands.

Confused of Leicester.

The 49th parallel goes right around the world and the Channel Islands are not part of the UK they are Crown Territories

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just back from a sortie over to Chirk for the Dapol factory and then onto Llandrinio for the last Borders MRC running day before the new year.

Taking two boxes of Christmas biscuits to the Dapol factory as a bribe did produce a set of four buffers out of the factory bits box.

Next time I'm going in with just a buffer from a pannier tank and asking if they have a spare loco that will fit?

The usual cake fest took place at Llandrinio.  Christmas pudding truffles, Bailey's Tiffin and a form of Bara Brith with an additional sprinkling of sugary crystals and bits of marzipan completed my early afternoon snack.

I now have to endure our friends coming around where I will be forced to consume nibbles, wine and a decent glass (or two) of single malt.

The sacrifices I have to make in order to appear sociable!

• Like 5
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Currently sat awaiting delivery of a new freezer. 

This is holding up other jobs as space made to remove old one has filled up working space.

There ate other things I could do, but I  bet once I start I'll be intetupted by the  arrival of  white goods. 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

You need to revise your Not The 9 O'Clock News sketches, Ian.

Oh i remember hearing about this program. My parents said they used to stay up and watch it. Was it as good as they said it was. I must say they've done a cracking job colourising it from black and White. 

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Freezer has arrived. 

Old one removed from West Wing.

Prep for more painting of walls in white North Pole (AKA expensive white) completed. 

Woodwork filled and sanded and ready for undercoat. 

Another 3 rolls of masking tape standing by.

Occupation  of West wing will not now happen by Christmas.  

Mid Feb is the new target. 

The freezer was a major step forward  to that end. More stuff will be removed this evening.

Upgrade of utility room (West wing annex) is nearing completion which will release other items from the West wing itself

The East Wing has been officially handed over to Mrs SM42 for maintenance. 

There may be an piece on the local TV news about this momentus occasion later. 

Club quiz night tonight so work has now been suspended for the day 

Andy

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Andy just a bit concerned here. Have you booked you time off over Christmas yet?

It's just that i don't want to be sitting down to my Christmas meal worrying that you'll still attached to a paint roller or brush etc. It would give me terrible indigestion as i was tucking in knowing that because you hadn't booked it off you were having to 'work' while everyone else was enjoying themselves.

I'm certain that others would feel the same.

So do the decent thing and get you leave card completed and signed off as soon as possible please. Have some consideration for the rest of us please.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11