Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

12 hours ago, newbryford said:

Eileen and Jim were a fixture at shows across the North of England. 

Eileen was always smiling (must be all the sales that they were doing!)

EE #2 was Roger (can't remember his second name).

Very annoying to other exhibitors at show breakdown as he would pack up slowly, move his stuff near the door/access bit by bit blocking everyone else. And stop to chat during the packing up process!

Which makes me EE #2.1, because on one occasion I took the stand out when Roger was on holiday.

• Like 7
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I thought you'd sold it or was it still for sale?

It's under offer but I don't want the sale to fall through so the expense of getting a new boiler installed is worth it to me.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, AndyID said:

.......which ends up going into one of these 😀

DSCN5771.JPG.c76b756950872868b7aebd0fdc6c97e0.JPG

Stoppit, stoppit, for pity's sake stoppit! I'm supposed to be on a diet pending the Christmas blow out and you send pictures of egg 'n bacon baps!!! Possibly Probably Definitely the finest food known to man (alongside LDC, of course, which is known to allsorts of species as shown on this forum and is the only known follow up in the same league as egg 'n bacon baps).

I'm now going to lie down and try to stop thinking about egg 'n ..........

Dave

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

It's under offer but I don't want the sale to fall through so the expense of getting a new boiler installed is worth it to me.

Dave

No doubt any sensible buyer would insist on a working Boiler - or factor in the cost of a new one (plus a bit more for the aggro of doing it) and drop their offer accordingly.

Boss at work inherited(?) a place near Harrogate - 200-odd miles from where he lives.  It was somewhat "run down" so he & SWMBO spent practically every weekend for alottaweeks driving up there, totally redecorating it + new carpets & curtains in order to make it much more appealing to a buyer.  It did the trick - only the new buyer never actually moved in; instead they bulldozed it in order to build a new house.  The Boss could've cried......

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I was amused by this sign:

The light in the loo at the village hall where our model railway club is like that and it's on a timer. So you can't sneak off to sit there reading a railway magazine...

Edited by Compound2632
Grammar failure corrected
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

My QM was on the ball and spoke to the right people yesterday evening.

As a result, like the parting of the Red Sea for Moses, there only appeared to be snow well off to either side.

I was able to drive from Reading back to Telfland without any hinderance or delay.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

It has been brought to my attention that another thread within RMWeb has been spreading misinformation about myself and PB.

We are able to co-exist quite happily as our dietary requirements are somewhat different to the assumption that we both only exist to eat LDC.

Those who have read the various biographies of myself by Hazel Edwards will know that I will eat all sorts of cake, but the best of all is 'Special Cake'  It is so special that it does not have a recipe!

Generally, PB eats cakes that have a sticky filling or an equally sticky topping, whilst I prefer rich fruit cakes, Welsh cakes and Bara Brith.

That is not to say that we do not enjoy cake from each others preferred cake range, but it does put us both on an amicable footing when we (accidentally) simultaneously visit a cake shop (or some other such emporium).

I also note that although the much maligned, and very misunderstood, Crab Vulture gets a mention, the porcine brigade, of which there are a number frequenting this thread, are conspicuous by their absence.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The light in the loo at the village hall where our model railway club is like that and it's on a timer. So you can't sneak off to sit there reading a railway magazine...

You have to remember to move your body otherwise the light goes out as well. So it's two moves for the price of one. Yes i know but i couldn't resist it.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

only appeared to be snow well off to either side.

Same here. I think more may have settled in Southend and Basildon but again the clouds parted over us leaving a mere dusting of snow. Drifts of up to a cm in places. Aditi’s sister in Enfield sent us some photos of a more impressive snowfall in Enfield. MiL phoned us and told Aditi not to go out, even in the garden. Aditi tried to explain it wasn’t a problem here and anyway she had already been out to provide the garden birds with water and some food. 
I had planned to visit the doctors. I need to make an appointment for a second dose of Shingles vaccine (I can’t have the normal single dose version) to be administered after 9th January. I didn’t want to spend ages on the phone but thought perhaps it might be better than making an unnecessary journey. Anyway I was “third in the phone queue” and was asked if I would like to attend on the morning of January 10th. I know from speaking to my cousins recently that such good service is not universal. 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The light in the loo at the village hall where our model railway club is like that and they're on a timer. So you can't sneak off to sit there reading a railway magazine...

We stayed in a hotel in SW France, just for one night. The room had a sink, a shower and a bidet but no loo. The loo was down the corridor. It seemed very small. I am not very tall really (not 6 foot!) but when sitting down my knees wouldn’t let the door shut and the lights wouldn’t come on until the door was locked. Also the sign explaining this was in Spanish.  Most of the hotel trade seemed to be Spanish coach excursions. We have got better at choosing hotels after that holiday, especially after the next stop in Arles. Never mind it did mean we spent lots of holidays in Austria after that. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It has been brought to my attention that another thread within RMWeb has been spreading misinformation about myself and PB.

An ideal opportunity for a Class Action methinks - what say you, Big H?  Of course if the perpetrator wishes to settle out of Court (usual currency) then this Bear is prepared to show clemency...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, polybear said:

No doubt any sensible buyer would insist on a working Boiler - or factor in the cost of a new one (plus a bit more for the aggro of doing it) and drop their offer accordingly.

Boss at work inherited(?) a place near Harrogate - 200-odd miles from where he lives.  It was somewhat "run down" so he & SWMBO spent practically every weekend for alottaweeks driving up there, totally redecorating it + new carpets & curtains in order to make it much more appealing to a buyer.  It did the trick - only the new buyer never actually moved in; instead they bulldozed it in order to build a new house.  The Boss could've cried......

When were having our kitchen re-done a few years ago, one fitter who came to quote told us about one job he had to turn down, despite it being "lucrative", involving a VERY expensive set of fixtures and fittings.  He realised after about five minutes that he'd installed the immaculate existing kitchen, only about two years earlier.  I guess it shows some pride in his work that he couldn't bear to destroy it.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Afternoon all,

Thought I’d show the ponderous way I’ve devised to power the Iron Duke.

As we know I served a years apprenticeship as a horologist and do clockmaking as a side business mostly for friends and family. I also quite like the things and was wondering how I might be able to incorporate a well made clockwork mech into an engine. 

So one night at 3 am I work up and was thinking about this and it dawned on me I could put one in the tender of the Duke.  So the quest began to find a suitable mech. I started with calling up my old boss and bought this 1900s Vienna regulator movement off him. I chose this design as it uses cuts gears rather than stamped one.

6200FC43-6A42-4BF1-A295-67B5A4DF3D3E.jpeg.244c39b217d9db64eedbfd50a148c052.jpeg

Now obviously this movement is far too large to fit in a great western tender of any size in 7mm. So I got my helpers saw and chopped it in half down the middle. Now I had a movement that was still to large, but not so large as to look ridiculous. 

68319E43-C2B7-472E-8434-2735EED7BF8C.jpeg.035d4d33e88ff1533ae7598348795c8f.jpeg

The next task is to make a worm governor for it so that it doesn’t run away and sound like a severely oppressed cat which is what currently happens. It’s still to talk for the tender but I will cross that bridge when I get there, a cunning plane has already been hatched.

Heres the movement after polishing.

37CCD5A6-6A49-49D1-B2A0-3AA405CA8E5D.jpeg.07ed299da6070c1a5b069843a4dd5cc6.jpeg

Douglas

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I also note that although the much maligned, and very misunderstood, Crab Vulture gets a mention, the porcine brigade, of which there are a number frequenting this thread, are conspicuous by their absence.

You bring up an excellent point, HH, and as a fellow predator, albeit not ground-borne, I think that it is time we teamed up to counter this porcine intrusion into our otherwise select ambit. I would be willing to attend a summit meeting at the Muddy Hollow and would even provide cake.

Sincerely

Crab One

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I have made it back safe, but poorer from IKEA. 

"Should be home by 7" she said 

We left at 1945hrs.

I did get some painting in this.  morning.

This could be a new exercise trend:

Rollerton.

Order your rollers and pink emulsion and log in to regular on line painting classes led by experienced instructors.  

I reckon I could be a millionaire by next Christmas 

Andy

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Same here. I think more may have settled in Southend and Basildon but again the clouds parted over us leaving a mere dusting of snow. Drifts of up to a cm in places. Aditi’s sister in Enfield sent us some photos of a more impressive snowfall in Enfield. MiL phoned us and told Aditi not to go out, even in the garden. Aditi tried to explain it wasn’t a problem here and anyway she had already been out to provide the garden birds with water and some food. 
I had planned to visit the doctors. I need to make an appointment for a second dose of Shingles vaccine (I can’t have the normal single dose version) to be administered after 9th January. I didn’t want to spend ages on the phone but thought perhaps it might be better than making an unnecessary journey. Anyway I was “third in the phone queue” and was asked if I would like to attend on the morning of January 10th. I know from speaking to my cousins recently that such good service is not universal. 

We had about four inches (10cm) of snow and only about five miles away as the crow flies. 

• Like 8