Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Isn't the best system of units to base 5 so you can work it out on your fingers? (Not base 10 because you need the other hand to point at the fingers you are working with).

Dave

I thought we were getting to the constipated mathematician who worked it out with axpencil.

Nos da.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes indeed. But that has its root in the failure of the 18th century French savants to appreciate the utility of a coherent system of units; they defined the gram or gramme as the mass of a cubic centimetre of water, rather than as the mass of a cubic metre of water. By so doing they did, however, ensure that the base unit of mass was of a convenient magnitude for everyday use.

Prior to the 2019 redefinition of the kilogram in terms of the vales of fundamental constants of nature, the kilogram was defined as the mass of an artefact, a cylindrical lump of platinum-iridium alloy (made by the London firm Johnson Matthey in 1884, along with 40 copies), approximately 42 mm in diameter by 42 mm long. If the base unit of mass had been the gramme or the tonne, it would have been impossible with the technology of the time to construct a prototype and copies with sufficient precision.

To achieve a coherent system in which the base unit of mass does not have a prefix attached, one could take the tonne (a non-SI unit currently accepted for use with the SI, like the litre) as the base unit. 1 kg would become 1 mt.

The kilogram is a good practical unit for mass. But SI should have renamed it. Almost anything would have been better. I think I know who to blame but I don't want to upset Jamie and Oldudders 😃

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Isn't the best system of units to base 5 so you can work it out on your fingers? (Not base 10 because you need the other hand to point at the fingers you are working with).

Dave

Twelve fingers would have been better. 10 is only divisible by 2 and 5 but 12 is divisible by 2, 3, 4 and 6.

Of course twelve would then be represented as 10 which would confuse the crepe out of everyone 😀

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, AndyID said:

The kilogram is a good practical unit for mass. But SI should have renamed it. Almost anything would have been better. I think I know who to blame but I don't want to upset Jamie and Oldudders 😃

There will be no offence taken here. We will be putting our England flag out on Saturday.

7 hours ago, AndyID said:

Twelve fingers would have been better. 10 is only divisible by 2 and 5 but 12 is divisible by 2, 3, 4 and 6.

Of course twelve would then be represented as 10 which would confuse the crepe out of everyone 😀

My father always used to argue that base 12 was better for that reason.

Jamie

• Like 10

9 hours ago, AndyID said:

But when, as Canal Digger says:

11 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

… working with base 8 or base 16 computing systems …

then 8 or 16 respectively is represented as 10.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, AndyID said:

Twelve fingers!

I'd be more than happy  with eight and two thumbs🤣.

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

There will be no offence taken here. We will be putting our England flag out on Saturday.

And all will be well, unless the result is not in favour of the 'home' team.

If that is the case, then I look forward watching on television, the localised riots and the circling of Chateau Guest with a squadron of french farmers, in their tractors towing rapidly emptying slurry tankers.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Unless you live in Cumbria or certain parts of the deep Lancashire valleys towards Bacup - where it's base 6......

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Unless you live in Cumbria or certain parts of the deep Lancashire valleys towards Bacup - where it's base 6......

Do they only have 3 digits on each hand?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Of course, before you fork over a million quid for a flat, you better make sure there's a decent boozer nearby.

Fortunately, the inhabitants of Brunel Terrace have The Brunel Pub nearby (a gastropub with real ales, over 500 whiskys and a Michelin star):

489937620_TheBrunel.jpg.537389eb41ec3bf405ea08a1b33a83f2.jpg

946122875_TheBrunelII.jpg.a9034b48f9b7efa985a4c87200ebabd3.jpg

2102561239_BrunelDetail.jpg.ae65e780bad535e9299d8c2779ca8479.jpg

But not too far away is the Earl of Devon - very basic and definitely a chicken in a basket, scampi and chips, pork scratchings and Australian lager sort of place

1256287288_EarlofDevon.jpg.e7dd0bc5065b9466e728bad0947f6c80.jpg

Now they are rather tasty!  I think the Earl looks rather welcoming.   I’ll get my darts!

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyway to get away from communities here they play games for all the family it's time for some images of my activities at the weekend.   There was a model railway show at Angouleme put on by their MRC.  As it was after lunch I set off in the morning and made a day of it.   First off was a visit to a railway museum at Gourville which is en route to Angouleme. The old goods shed on a metre gauge line has been rebuilt into a museum with local authority support.    Sadly it wasn't open and a fresh oyster stall was set up in the entrance.  Outside was a metre gauge wagon of a type that I have just acquired a kit for.

PC032770.JPG.cc1df3779dcf6dfc41ba33b78de8e873.JPG

This shows the oyster van and the old station.

PC032774.JPG.77994a517bd5dc1b5bf5bb747467ca33.JPG

There is an 0-4-0 plinthed inside but as the wall is of glass I couldn't get a decent photo.

PC032771.JPG.676ca0e732c0378def7b6dbccd4c8535.JPG

This muriel is on one end wall.

PC032772.JPG.b7ae818dd4e003a342a3986b5f5c6d33.JPG

One day I hope to make a small layout based on our village station the building of which still exists.

Then is was off the Angouleme for some trainspotting whilst I ate my picnic lunch.  The onto the MRC where they had a few layouts set up in the school opposite the clubrooms and their own club layouts operating in the clubrooms.  One thing that caught my eye was a modelling competition for models built on cheese boxes. There was some very nice modelling on display.

PC032777.JPG.6c4b0ddadd4e18e14c9601797af7291d.JPG

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Earlier in the evening I had a very nice call from BT telling me my internet had been hacked.  I was most surprised when the lady rang off after I told her I had only divulged the security passwords to my pet hippo.

Yeah, BT, sure. The best I get are purportedly virginmedia or ntlworld telling me my payment failed, click on link, or email password needs to be validated for some change. Strangely, they all claim to come from gmail (or occasionally, japanese) addresses 🤣

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Earlier in the evening I had a very nice call from BT telling me my internet had been hacked.  I was most surprised when the lady rang off after I told her I had only divulged the security passwords to my pet hippo.

Possibly the same 'lady' who wanted me to confirm my BT password so that she could refund me a month's charges as they had made a mistake. I agreed that a mistake had been made and she'd made it by thinking I was that stupid. She also rang off at that point.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 14