Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I take it you have evidence to back up that wild and extremely boastful remark young man!

Yes

They  are widely accepted as vegetables and hence have  no place in  a cake.

Unless of course you are a donkey or a horse (other farm yard animals are available)

Cake isn't supposed to be one of your 5 a day. (Unless that means 5 cakes a day) 

Good Lord, you'll be telling me you can use spinach or beetroot   next.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Yes

They  are wildly accepted as vegetables and hence have  no place in  a cake.

Unless of course you are a donkey or a horse (other farm yard animals are available)

Cake isn't supposed to be one of your 5 a day. (Unless that means 5 cakes a day) 

Good Lord, you'll be telling me you can use spinach or beetroot   next.

Andy

Obviously SM42 Towers does not tune in to “Masterchef the Professionals” unusual flavour combinations are constantly being tried out. Some work, some don’t. And some unusual flavour combinations become wildly successful – salted caramel being a good example (if I recall correctly it was invented by a chef in France sometime in the 60s or 70s).

Not every vegetable lends itself to being turned into a cake – it has to have a natural sweetness (as carrots and parsnips do). However, I must say that Zucchini (courgette) cake - to me - smacks of desperation (as in “what the @#£#@ are we going with 10 @#£#@ kilos of zucchini?”)

I can only think of three ingredients that could be used as the main ingredient for every course of a three course meal (i.e. starter, main and dessert). They are: the egg, the carrot and the potato.

May I leave you with some food for thought (no pun intended)? Without experimenting in the kitchen and trying out new food combinations, we would probably still be eating just roast meat and root vegetables boiled up into a mushy potage.

Now for breakfast…..

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

They  are wildly accepted as vegetables

I confess I do find it a bit unusual to get wild about vegetables but some of them can really be quite nice if properly prepared. The chips I made tonight were actually pretty good, at least I thought so.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, AndyID said:

The chips I made tonight were actually pretty good, at least I thought so.

Were those British chips or North American chips?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

Cake isn't supposed to be one of your 5 a day.

Lemon is a fruit, so drizzle cake is definitely acceptable as one of your five daily portions of fruit and veg.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, BoD said:

Lemon is a fruit, so drizzle cake is definitely acceptable as one of your five daily portions of fruit and veg.

A certain Bear tackled a Twix, Banana & Caramel Sauce Ice Cream Sundae last night, so that's one of the five ticked off as well......

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, pH said:

Were those British chips or North American chips?

In Edinburgh they might have been referred to as "cheps" but they were probably a bit on the skinny side for that. They definitely were not any sort of crisps.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

We have a friend who retired here from Birmingham where where she both was the owner of  and the chief manufacturer in a cake shop.

Next week she is showing Nyda's Ranger group how to make some form of Chocolate bomb.

I believe it is a Chocolate orange drizzled in molten chocolate and then Maltesers are stuck into the chocolate before it hardens off.

Various Christmas style decorations are added before it is wrapped up.

I will try and provide a picture should one make it back to the Hippodrome intact.

I now need to go and clean up my waxing kit which is currently occupying the 'spare' bench in the garage:  Not body waxing!

I am repairing a damaged mahogany fire screen for another friend, and am in the process of finishing it off with a slab of beeswax and elbow grease.

I really don't want to mix up small bits of granite ballast and the timbers I've already finished.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 29/11/2022 at 13:03, polybear said:

Most definitely - it sounds like you're a Paintaholic. 😲

As for pink starburst......just what sort of establishment are you creating??

image.png.60bcfdee3f3002cbd2d7dd43aa241448.png

I didn't realise the Bear Pit had been recently refurbished.   I thought you were still on the HSL 🤔

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2022 at 00:04, AndyID said:

You mean like cake with ice cream?

Nobody has yet mentioned one of life's finest experiences - a good moist fruitcake with a slice of mature Stilton cheese and a glass of port.

Yum yum.

For some unknown reason I suddenly feel hungry.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2022 at 00:06, AndyID said:

Sounds like I got off pretty light. I only managed a broken collar bone.

I got away with a broken elbow but it came back to haunt me forty years later with a related shoulder problem.

Dave

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
On 29/11/2022 at 21:53, jamie92208 said:

......the subs crew sang a marvellous song called "Nobody washes in a Submarine".

Back in the late sixties when I was stationed in Singapore I flew the first lieutenant of an O class diesel electric sub in a Hunter T7. As a thank you he arranged for me to go on a three day post refit cruise on his boat. I have never before or since been in such a crowded, smelly environment and when we dived for the first time the creaking and pinging noises from the hull, not to mention drips from the ceiling, were terrifying. Afterwards we were chatting over a beer and he said that he couldn't do my job for a big clock and I responded by saying that his job was very firmly the last thing I would ever consider. Horses for courses I guess.

Dave  

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Back in the late sixties when I was stationed in Singapore I flew the first lieutenant of an O class diesel electric sub in a Hunter T7. As a thank you he arranged for me to go on a three day post refit cruise on his boat. I have never before or since been in such a crowded, smelly environment and when we dived for the first time the creaking and pinging noises from the hull, not to mention drips from the ceiling, were terrifying. Afterwards we were chatting over a beer and he said that he couldn't do my job for a big clock and I responded by saying that his job was very firmly the last thing I would ever consider. Horses for courses I guess.

Dave  

It was an O class thst I went on. I don't think that a nuke would fit in Stornoway  harbour.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I can only think of three ingredients that could be used as the main ingredient for every course of a three course meal (i.e. starter, main and dessert). They are: the egg, the carrot and the potato.

I'm led to believe that there is some sort of club for those who love garlic to excess and there is an annual dinner where garlic is used as part of every course.

Now, I do like garlic but .........

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 8

Due to the onset of a stinking cold, activity at SM42 Towers has been scaled back. 

Having said that, we do have a trade in later to do the utility room, the work top for which has just been delivered. 

As the plan to paint beforehand has failed, I predict another roll of masking tape will be sacrificed. 

General tidying up is my mission for the day, which is now a bit harder with a whopping great slab  of timber in the way. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Due to the onset of a stinking cold, activity at SM42 Towers has been scaled back. 

Having said that, we do have a trade in later to do the utility room, the work top for which has just been delivered. 

As the plan to paint beforehand has failed, I predict another roll of masking tape will be sacrificed. 

General tidying up is my mission for the day, which is now a bit harder with a whopping great slab  of timber in the way. 

Andy

At least when it is all finished you can look forward to no more decorating for about 30 years. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Nobody has yet mentioned one of life's finest experiences - a good moist fruitcake with a slice of mature Stilton cheese and a glass of port.

Yum yum.

For some unknown reason I suddenly feel hungry.

Dave

That sounds seriously interesting....

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have never before or since been in such a crowded, smelly environment

I'll have to do better with the Hippodrome next time you visit.

However, being the gentleman you are, you never mentioned my inability to please at the time of your last visit.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

I didn't realise the Bear Pit had been recently refurbished.   I thought you were still on the HSL 🤔

Since Puppers @PupCam has stooped to a scurrilous attempt at "outing" a certain Bear.....just who do we know that lives in a Kennel like this?......

image.png.a5dc176d34650b91a94538e0a38ea13a.png

17 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

At least when it is all finished you can look forward to no more decorating for about 30 years. 

Dream on.....I'll put money on SWMBO already looking at colour charts....

When Buddy (in his 60's) ex. next door moved last year - to yet another of SWMBO's extensive projects he told her firmly that "this'll be the last one".  He said to me that "she wasn't happy".....

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

30 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I've managed 12 years, but there has been a slow process of decorating here and there over the last 5 years or so. 

The hall radiator is still in primer though from when we moved in.

She hasn't noticed yet. 

Andy

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I've managed 12 years, but there has been a slow process of decorating here and there over the last 5 years or so. 

She hasn't noticed yet. 

Andy

Aditi didn't notice the 40" tv had been replaced by a 55" while she had been at her Mum's for a week. She is very observant at colour matching though. 

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

She hasn't noticed yet. 

Andy

The Boss managed to hand an entire strip of wallpaper upside down when decorating his kitchen - but didn't spot it until the end.  So he invited SWMBO & kids in to see the finished job - and they never spotted it, so it stayed that way ever since.  They never did find out.

• Like 5
  • Funny 11