Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Polac is either a derogatory term for someone from Poland, or a Police Accident (usually rtc).  ...snip...

I recall that word had no "a", rather second "o". However, it might not have been considered derogatory, at least in Baltimore, MD, there is a very popular and very, very good sandwich shop chain known as "POLOCK JOHNNY'S"*. Just looking at the website is making my mouth water; and I just finished lunch!

*https://www.polockjohnnys.com/

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, skipepsi said:

Could you not use single strand wire insulation to fix it?

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that would be strong enough to withstand handling and I'm dubious about the appearance. Anyway, after my offer at the end of my post yesterday I've heard from someone who wants the kit so I'm getting rid of it.

Dave

Also, I didn't tell the whole story in my post - see my reply to PB below. 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, polybear said:

@Dave Hunt Or bush the holes with tubing (Hobby Holidays has 1mm o.d., 0.5mm i.d., for example?).

Quite possibly Bear, but to be honest the type of van isn't exactly right for what I want, which is to run in a 1906 breakdown train, but having bought the kit I was convincing myself that I could live with the discrepancy. However, doubts were building up and I've realised that I was dragging my heels as a consequence so the issue with the handrails has given me pauses for thought and I've decided to bite the bullet, give the kit to someone who will probably make a good job of it and do what I should have done in the first place, i.e., scratch build the right type of van in plastikard.

Dave 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, br2975 said:

As I had an unenviable history of POLACs - I'm not the best man to comment on this subject.

I haven't had any history of POLACS but I've been told to stop being a PILLOCK on occasions. Is that the same thing? 

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Polac is either a derogatory term for someone from Poland, or a Police Accident (usually rtc). 

A covert transfer of railway supplies took place this afternoon at an undisclosed location near to Aberflyarff.

Both parties appeared happy with the arrangement and there were no Polacs.

Agreed HH, this party was more than happy, and no doubt Daniel will be when I tell him tomorrow.

Thanks for the goodies - hopefully we were not being covertly observed.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

PILLOCK - PILot Landing cOCKup.

Dave

(just made that up actually)

I’m sure you will be able to copyright it as all your very own.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

Tomorrow's (mis) adventures loom. 

Undercoat drying. Top coat early tomorrow before getting my jabs. 

(The plan then is to get second coat on in the afternoon, leaving some modelling time in the evening.)

Then the impending trip to a large Swedish emporium in Wednesbury. 

I have resorted to alcohol to try and take my mind of it. 

This could get expensive. 

More importantly I'm trying to work out how to get a kitchen and 3 people in the car. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, SM42 said:

More importantly I'm trying to work out how to get a kitchen and 3 people in the car. Andy

I can figure out how to get a car and three people in the kitchen but .............

Unless you have a Tardis 2.5i GT

Dave 

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, SM42 said:

More importantly I'm trying to work out how to get a kitchen and 3 people in the car. 

Andy

After a couple of glasses of Dalwhinnie Winter Gold, (single malt naturally) it  will be easy 

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 11

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

After a couple of glasses of Dalwhinnie Winter Gold, (single malt naturally) it  will be easy

After spending some time on The Night Mail, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not drinking enough single malt. I will try to use the festive season to remedy this shortcoming.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darlington_Shed said:

After spending some time on The Night Mail, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not drinking enough single malt. 

Too much time spent on dodgy internet sites is reducing you a life of drugs* and alcohol. 

*I've noticed frequent references to LCD which is clearly an illicit substance of some sort.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, AndyID said:

I think you might pushing your luck 😄

They say revenge is a dish best eaten cold.  And if course we no longer need to worry so much about HH having his fingers in the pie.

8 hours ago, SM42 said:

Tomorrow's (mis) adventures loom. 

Undercoat drying. Top coat early tomorrow before getting my jabs. 

(The plan then is to get second coat on in the afternoon, leaving some modelling time in the evening.)

Then the impending trip to a large Swedish emporium in Wednesbury. 

I have resorted to alcohol to try and take my mind of it. 

This could get expensive. 

Andy

Simples. Buy a trailer. The 3 people can then go in there. You wouldn't want the flatpacks to be exposed to the weather.

I presume that the jabs inckude the one that stops you getting to addicted to Swedish sheds.

Anyway I had a very good lunch and afternoon out at the MRG. It was our annual quiz and one question was  asking what the name of the house in The Railway Children.  Apparently  my answer of Jenny Agutter wasn't correct.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Too much time spent on dodgy internet sites is reducing you a life of drugs* and alcohol. 

*I've noticed frequent references to LCD which is clearly an illicit substance of some sort.

Liquid Crystal Display?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

They say revenge is a dish best eaten cold.  And if course we no longer need to worry so much about HH having his fingers in the pie.

Simples. Buy a trailer. The 3 people can then go in there. You wouldn't want the flatpacks to be exposed to the weather.

I presume that the jabs inckude the one that stops you getting to addicted to Swedish sheds.

Anyway I had a very good lunch and afternoon out at the MRG. It was our annual quiz and one question was  asking what the name of the house in The Railway Children.  Apparently  my answer of Jenny Agutter wasn't correct.

Jamie

A trailer would be a good idea. 

It's the 800 quid for the tow bar that isn't. 

Another thing that wouldnt be good is that one of the three is me. 

I'm sure that as an ex officer of the law, the sight of someone driving from the trailer through a set of complicated linkages and furry string,  you would agree, would be frowned upon. 

After all, I am not a push pull service.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

2 minutes ago, SM42 said:

A trailer would be a good idea. 

It's the 800 quid for the tow bar that isn't. 

Another thing that wouldnt be good is that one of the three is me. 

I'm sure that as an ex officer of the law, the sight of someone driving from the trailer through a set of complicated linkages and furry string,  you would agree, would be frowned upon. 

After all, I am not a push pull service.

Andy

If you had a pickup truck the passengers could sit in the truck-bed 😱. Perfectly legal in this US state and many others.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

21 minutes ago, AndyID said:

If you had a pickup truck the passengers could sit in the truck-bed 😱. Perfectly legal in this US state and many others.

I may have to get one to curl up in the spare wheel well. 

Or leave them behind. 

A sort of sacrifice one for the benefit of the many type of thing.

Andy

• Funny 9

24 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I may have to get one to curl up in the spare wheel well. 

Or leave them behind. 

A sort of sacrifice one for the benefit of the many type of thing.

Andy

Skateboards. That's the answer and any who don't want to hold the bumper, in case they scratch it or chip there nails, can have a piece of furry string instead.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

It has just occurred to me that you may not have enough, as in none, skateboards. If that is the sad situation, no home should be without one just in case they need the freezer moving, then a bit of DIY and some four be two, a couple of castors and heypresto, bobs Ur uncle three skate boards.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

One track mind.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

50 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Skateboards. That's the answer and any who don't want to hold the bumper, in case they scratch it or chip there nails, can have a piece of furry string instead.

I was thinking a pair of goggles and hold onto the roof.  

Furry string tied between the roof rails as a hand hold / arrestor cable.

Anyway. Painting  done and I've been double jabbed so not long now before we play car Jenga. 

Andy

• Like 6