Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, AndyID said:

DC shielded metal arc welding (aka Stick).

Thanks Andy.

Welding is not on my list of skills.

My son has a very good welding set which was recommended to him by one of his friends who is a  very good welder (qualified/certified). 

I just need about an hour with his friend and the welding set to get some practical experience and then, obviously, lots of practice.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am looking to change my old Badger (airbrush!) and was considering the Iwata range as I've seen a number of good reviews.  

Do you have a personal recommendation?

I actually have two although the Neo is ‘for Iwata’ but I’m not quite sure what that means. 
I’ve had this one for quite a few years and am very happy with it. 

I do (rather did) quite a bit of 1/72 scale aircraft and AFV modelling and splashed  out at IPMS Telford a couple of years ago and got the HB-B Plus. I’ve not been as successful with this one and I’m not sure why but I think the needle is slightly  bent now and before I have another go I’ll get a replacement. I seem to think I’ve only used enamels with it and I’m more used to acrylics these days so that may also be a contributing factor. When I bought it there  was I white piece of paper in the box with a beautifully fine airbrush swirl on it. Presumably this means that it had been factory tested and if I can get it to work as fine as this I’ll be really happy. The only other issue is the paint cup is not detachable which doesn’t help cleaning.

I have used the Neo for weathering down to N scale and am quite happy with the results. For some reason this does have a detachable cup.

image.jpg.c7e8dc3b6ae90469fdb0e6717d7b7813.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

They are both gravity fed and dual action. The ‘Neo’ is aimed at the beginner but I think it’s a great product for the price. Here’s some examples of Neo results. Can’t remember what I used the HP-B for.

I should have been able to do a finer  job with the HP-B on the flak panzer. .F1146E44-1FED-4CD9-8E7B-2AE1479251AD.jpeg.952408be6639a979bdab475a626d891b.jpeg

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Birthday party for a 3 year old was attended today. 

As before, at his sister's 1st,

free cake 👍

Andy

There was a birthday celebration here too. There was cake, baked by the person whose birthday it was. “Was cake” is accurate, as I don’t think there is any left. Some went next door to our neighbours and MiL took a large piece for her overnight carer. We didn’t use any candles as Aditi didn’t want to be responsible for any global warming. It was a lot more than three.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Surgical scars can be pretty unsightly, though nowadays skin sutures have mostly been replaced by staples – which supposedly result in lesser scarring of the skin (of course, this presume you don’t remove the staples too soon which will cause an unsightly scar - I speak from experience).

Many medics will recommend the application of "Bio Oil" (once the scar has healed) in order to minimise scarring.  Does it work?  Oh yes - a friend had a double bypass and the scar was pretty horrific initially - now you can barely see it.

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am looking to change my old Badger (airbrush!) and was considering the Iwata range as I've seen a number of good reviews.  

Do you have a personal recommendation?

I suspect you could do a lot worse than ask these people:

https://www.airbrushes.com/

- as recommended to Bear this very weekend by someone that most definitely knows rather a lot about such things.....😉

There's a buying guide on their site as well.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

@OlddduddersMy GP prescribed a sort of clear silicone strip to put over the scars, they use it for burns victims.  Cica Care or something like that - worked for Mrs NHN's partial thyroidectomy scar, and my foot. Highly, and I mean HIGHLY recommended.

P1120153.JPG.822e71602513d55ce4abceee685abb2b.JPG

20181204_090058.jpg.48ae3591caa85da915ea7ac511bbba4f.jpg

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to mention that amongst all the bottles of assorted falling down water that arrived last weekend, I discovered a carrier bag with a load of Eccles Cakes in it.  Yum yum.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm currently on a starvation diet in preparation for tomorrow's visit to Hunt Towers.

The pannier tanks can have a day off.

The food arrives, around the house at least, by pannier tank? Impressive!

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, DenysW said:

The food arrives, around the house at least, by pannier tank? Impressive!

I wish!

Today's excursion will be an attempt to enlighten one in the merits of modelling the pre-grouping Midland Railway in S7...

Plus Dave's signature LDC.

I suppose with enough visits and enough cake I might be persuaded to have a little dabble.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I forgot to mention that amongst all the bottles of assorted falling down water that arrived last weekend, I discovered a carrier bag with a load of Eccles Cakes in it.  Yum yum.  

Jamie

Bit late this but I'll give it a go just in case.

Behave Young Man. No snaffling of all those Eccles cakes. Eating them all in one go will only make you poorly. Save some for tomorrow - was going to say the rest of the week but realise that would be wrong choice of words for you

Here I am Eccles Cake free walks quietly away sobbing.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

@OlddduddersMy GP prescribed a sort of clear silicone strip to put over the scars, they use it for burns victims.  Cica Care or something like that - worked for Mrs NHN's partial thyroidectomy scar, and my foot. Highly, and I mean HIGHLY recommended.

P1120153.JPG.822e71602513d55ce4abceee685abb2b.JPG

20181204_090058.jpg.48ae3591caa85da915ea7ac511bbba4f.jpg

Impressive scar improvement.

But was the second photo taken before or after shaving??? 🤣

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Impressive scar improvement.

But was the second photo taken before or after shaving??? 🤣

The hairs growing back were a real issue, my hobbit foot was very itchy indeed.  Quite how some hairs managed to grow through the scars beats me. 

The incisions have been opened twice too, the second time to extract most of the hardware (some was broken and stayed in, too deep to get out), the surgeon says they will also use the same places when I have further surgery which unfortunately is on the horizon.  Apparently they bleed less that way, I'm not bothered what it looks like really, but the silicone strips helped healing, especially after the second round.  IIRC it works by keeping the area warmer, therefore increasing blood flow?  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

The hairs growing back were a real issue, my hobbit foot was very itchy indeed.  Quite how some hairs managed to grow through the scars beats me. 

The incisions have been opened twice too, the second time to extract most of the hardware (some was broken and stayed in, too deep to get out), the surgeon says they will also use the same places when I have further surgery which unfortunately is on the horizon.  Apparently they bleed less that way, I'm not bothered what it looks like really, but the silicone strips helped healing, especially after the second round.  IIRC it works by keeping the area warmer, therefore increasing blood flow?  

Couldn't you have convalesanced in the Caribbean then.

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Couldn't you have convalesanced in the Caribbean then.

Nice thought, but I had a business to run at the time!  As I'm now retired, any donations to help me buqqer off to the Carribean for three months after the next lot of foot shredding gratefully received!

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

Nice thought, but I had a business to run at the time!  As I'm now retired, any donations to help me buqqer off to the Carribean for three months after the next lot of foot shredding gratefully received!

Best get those lottery tickets bought then.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to Dave for hosting today's meeting of Shropshire's TNM faction.

Cake, cheese scones Pork Pie and hot Cheese slices soothed the our rumbling stomachs.

Many crumbs were scattered on the workshop floor and we were able to admire the improvements to Dave's 'shed diorama'.  

As is usual with such meetings, much gum bumping took place, although my accidental Spoonerism of that phrase will need to be bleached from our minds. (Stop sniggering at the back Mr Guest!)

I am now responsible for coordinating the next meeting which will be sometimes in the new year.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Many thanks to Dave for hosting today's meeting of Shropshire's TNM faction....As is usual with such meetings, much gum bumping took place.......

Thanks to the eclectic mix of participants, the subjects discussed ranged from our local orthopaedic hospital via language misunderstandings when in forrn parts, car servicing and, among many others, to the Kray twins (don't ask). We even managed to talk about trains and models at times and actually ran a couple of locomotives up and down my diorama for all of five minutes. Allin all, though, a very enjoyable day.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

.......much gum bumping took place, although my accidental Spoonerism of that phrase will need to be bleached from our minds. (Stop sniggering at the back Mr Guest!)

I did warn HH not to admit to that in TNM but you just can't protect some people from themselves.

And the rest of us immediately disowned him.

Dave

• Agree 3
  • Funny 8