Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've managed to get into the doctor's call queue.  After about three months of trying!

Did it take so long as you were struggling to use one of these?

image.png.37cf74449a4f5c961e2c50c58e8a3744.png

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Inspired by DH's mention of LDC, I approached Mrs SM42 (currently making soup) requesting a tasty snack. 

Surprisingly, she said

"NO"

Oh well. Worth a try 

Andy

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

We got to Enfield and the floods had drained away except for a short stretch of the A10 which was about 6” deep. Everyone was being sensible. 

We had a nice day with the small nieces. MiL, although Aditi had asked her not to, raised various issues she had discussed with family in India about the trip to the family wedding . She had tried to arrange accommodation with a relative who doesn’t live near either the wedding venue or the family home of those organising the wedding. MiL wasn’t too happy about not being involved. All her information about travel and visas is way out of date. Aditi’s sister is letting her older son organise everything and she will pay for it. 
Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Inspired by DH's mention of LDC, I approached Mrs SM42 (currently making soup) requesting a tasty snack. 

Surprisingly, she said

"NO"

Oh well. Worth a try 

Andy

I hope that request wasn't a euphemism 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

Time to winterize the travel trailer (AKA caravan) I thought. Actually a bit past time but better late....

So off to the dump station we did go. That went quite smoothly except that while we were there a neighbor called to say there was a burst pipe at the house above us. Fortunately I was able to stop it by isolating their water line.

Then it was time to drain the water from the trailer's plumbing. That went reasonably well except that was a really bad smell of hydrogen sulfide. MrsID came down to see what was going on. She thought I might have been experiencing severe intestinal distress 😃

I think the problem was in the fresh water holding tank. It had been in there for too long. Or it might have been the water heater. The sacrificial anodes sometimes include alloys of sulfur. Fortunately the aroma has finally dissipated.

Snow and high-winds expected tomorrow. It's likely we will lose power.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

We got to Enfield and the floods had drained away except for a short stretch of the A10 which was about 6” deep. Everyone was being sensible. 

On the A10??

Or is that bold (see what Bear did there?) statement relative to their usual C0ckwomble** antics?

(** Actually that's being pretty unfair to C0ckwombles)

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I see the acceptable standards at Exhibitions is drifting like a rudderless yacht.

My only surprise is that no one has yet raised the  real standards of  how one should dress, manners, how one conducts ones self in the company of strangers and that age old complaint of attendees personal hygiene.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I see the acceptable standards at Exhibitions is drifting like a rudderless yacht.

My only surprise is that no one has yet raised the  real standards of  how one should dress, manners, how one conducts ones self in the company of strangers and that age old complaint of attendees personal hygiene.

Perhaps have some sort of sniffer dog at the entrance and turn away those that fail. Coupled with a Ryanair luggage gauge for rucksacks.  It would make things much more pleasant.  Issuing stewards with Tasers might be a tad OTT along with a ban on any green things with copper round the chimney.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Issuing stewards with Tasers might be a tad OTT.....

Oh, I dunno - I reckon it'll soon solve that age-old problem of getting people (or Bears) to volunteer for door duty.  The idea of zapping one or two kinda has a certain appeal somehow.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, polybear said:

On the A10??

Or is that bold (see what Bear did there?) statement relative to their usual C0ckwomble** antics?

(** Actually that's being pretty unfair to C0ckwombles)

I must admit I was a bit surprised too. Driving in Enfield is often “interesting “. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

We use to have such standards

It was after all an exhibition in our club's name, so any scruffy oiks behind a layout meant no invite. 

Reasonable, clean attire was all we required. 

Once they were in though  not much we could do. 

Eating behind the layout was also frowned upon when there was a perfectly good mess area with lunch provided and no-one wants to watch or hear someone eat at an exhibition. 

It detracts from the modelling

Drinks were fine, although not alcoholic. 

We took the look of the whole quite seriously and requested our guests helped us in that regard.

As a club we like to make a good impression when out on the road too.

Andy

• Like 9
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Perhaps have some sort of sniffer dog atvthe entrance and turn away thosecthat fail. Coupked with a Ryanair luggage gauge for rucksacks.  It would make thi gs much more pleasant.  Issuing stewards with Tasers might be a tad OTT along with a ban on any green thi gs with copper round the chimney.

Jamie

I only have one green thing with a copper cap, and whenever I take it out, it's fully harnessed and wears a muzzle.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Back in the day it was taken as read that exhibitors would be 'properly' dressed and behave in a socially acceptable fashion. The first time we took Dewsbury out Bob Essery required all the operators to wear jacket and tie, not to eat whilst operating, respond politely to members of the public (even if just to say, "A moment please", if busy) and to wear badges proclaiming their association with the layout. This would probably be laughed at today but being and old dodderer I do find it regrettable that things have slipped to the extent seen in some instances.

Dave  

• Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, br2975 said:

Take it from me, it is one of the worse parts of 'the job' - breaking the worst conceivable news, to a total stranger.

Indeed. Some, more than others, stay with you. 

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3