Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

17 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Decorating is about on time. 

Maybe around an hour down on plan. 

This was caused by a last minute errand added by Mrs SM42. 

For some reason today I have developed a rash of small white spots and all areas of exposed skin.

It is now rest time whilst paint dries. 

In other news I have managed to negotiate the on line delivery booking system for Warley. 

That's  45 minutes I won't get back. 

Trust me to pick a day when the site is warning of performance issues. 

Onwards and upwards tomorrow as the ceiling needs another coat.

Andy

Wouldn't worry to much those spots if I were you Andy. By tomorrow they will no doubt all be gone once you finish painting the ceiling and you'll be a nice even shade of white.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Wouldn't worry to much those spots if I were you Andy. By tomorrow they will no doubt all be gone once you finish painting the ceiling and you'll be a nice even shade of white.

It does cover very well

Andy

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

37 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Yikes! We are now only a couple of hundred feet below the snow line 😟

Same here in Nelson. They were forecasting something over 10 cm of snow for the East Kootenay over the next couple of days, but they’ve now scaled that back.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

No snow here in the Charente.  In the 4 years we've been here we've only had 2 mornings with a covering of snow but it was gone by lunchtime.  It is definitely  cooler though. Below 10 overnight now. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

1400 this afternoon. With a nurse practitioner, which in my experience is often a better option than the GP proper.

Whooppee!

Trayne Klubb shortly.....

And the icing on the cake is that the medical appointment trumps the trip to IKEA!

• Like 17

42 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

1400 this afternoon. With a nurse practitioner, which in my experience is often a better option than the GP proper.

Whooppee!

And the icing on the cake is that the medical appointment trumps the trip to IKEA!

Best behaviour Big H no showing off.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

“Here I sit, broken-hearted etc”. No, not in the loo, but on a GWR Castle class, somewhere short of Ivybridge, where someone has been bowled over by another train. This is my third day of commuting from Babbacombe to Derriford Hospital, Plymouth. It takes at least three hours by public transport, so every day is at least 11 hours. Monday I was en route from France, so this is my 4th early start, anyway. Yesterday the 06.55 bus didn’t even run! 

Meanwhile, back at Derriford, the patient is doing rather well. Clearly the heart op went ok, and by last night Sherry had had her catheter removed, and is able to get to the loo unaided. Her surgeon visited this morning, might let her home Saturday! 

We sit in bright sunlight, and have heard several emergency sirens on the road below, presumably heading to Ivybridge. No doubt the coroner will want to attend to satisfy himself that foul play is not a factor. If I make Plymouth by lunchtime I will be quite pleased! Crossing over to get back to Totnes is a vague possibility. Conductor is very articulate and making himself available. The best is being done. 

Glad to hear things are looking good on Sherry's recovery.

At times when someone loses their life in front of a train, I often find myself taking a few moments to think about the family left behind. Accidents are worse as there was no intent, but somewhere you know there will be a police officer having to knock on a door with the worst type of news to deliver. 

As far as the coroner is concerned, it will be for the police to gather such information as to cause to satisfy the coroner. 

Hopefully you should be on your way again soon.  The police aim to get things going again within 90 minutes, but a lot depends on circumstances.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Glad to hear things are looking good on Sherry's recovery.

At times when someone loses their life in front of a train, I often find myself taking a few moments to think about the family left behind. Accidents are worse as there was no intent, but somewhere you know there will be a police officer having to knock on a door with the worst type of news to deliver. 

As far as the coroner is concerned, it will be for the police to gather such information as to cause to satisfy the coroner. 

Hopefully you should be on your way again soon.  The police aim to get things going again within 90 minutes, but a lot depends on circumstances.

Andy

You are right of course. If it is suicide - Sherry’s nurse says Ivybridge is a favourite location - then all sorts of folk will be numb w shock, one imagines. At least as many as if it was an accident. We all blame ourselves when someone takes that final step.  

In my days as a local manager we were told to try to get the body moved asap. Using chalk to mark the outline was recommended, but not all coroners were happy with that, and of course in many cases the body is somewhat dismembered, maybe over some distance. The Regional Operating Manager had pledged to pay bail for any manager locked up for frustrating the coroner!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've managed to get into the doctor's call queue.  After about three months of trying!

Now I have to remember why I wanted to see the doctor.

Loss of memory perhaps?

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Whooppee!

So you have arranged an appointment to avoid IKEA.

Genius.

" So Mr Hippo, what is the problem?"

"I'm avoiding IKEA"

"Well done, but why are you here?"

"I've  forgotten, it's been that long"

Andy

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

No snow here in the Charente.  In the 4 years we've been here we've only had 2 mornings with a covering of snow but it was gone by lunchtime

It has also only snowed significantly here twice in our 20 years dans le rock, but when it did.....it did it proprly.

sub-buzz-9950-1483455554-7.jpg.95c94edee29e4b48a96cef804e9e55d0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Waiting paint to dry here on the ceilings at SM42 Towers.  Then I can start cutting in on the walls 

Not much else I can do for now. 

Second coat due on window boards at around 6 tonight. 

Should have first coat of magnolia Fresh Flour on remaining walls by then.

Should be on second coat of walls tomorrow morning and can then start on grey feature wall in the afternoon. 

It looks like I'll be using the Saturday contingency. 

Just need to move all the furniture around again to get at the skirting boards after that 

Mrs SM42 has the hall stairs and landing in her sights next, which means I'll be doing the job whilst she swans off to the Motherland again. 

Masking tape currently has a very short shelf life at SM42 Towers.

At some point I need to do some prep for Warley. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 16

4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

It has also only snowed significantly here twice in our 20 years dans le rock, but when it did.....it did it proprly.

sub-buzz-9950-1483455554-7.jpg.95c94edee29e4b48a96cef804e9e55d0.jpg

You have to wonder how they managed to get it in there 😆

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Mrs SM42 has returned from work  announced that the hedge needs trimming, the bin needs to go out ( it's raining) and then she has waltzed off to the pictures. 

Dinner it seems is in the freezer. 

At least the walls have been painted. 

Andy

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

You have to wonder how they managed to get it in there 😆

They didn't 'get it in' - it snowed over it as the bobby left it there while he dealt with an issue up the road and didn't get back to it until it was totally stuck and snowed in.  The photo was as they tried to dig it out the next morning, this was on the mail road through Kirk Michael, right outside my friend Charles' house. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6