Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

14 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

my surplus model railway collection(s).

Well done. Superb. It's been a while since I extended my collection of oxymoronic phrases (the one that starts with 'military intelligence', and continues with 'honest politics', etc.), but this one definitely makes the cut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DenysW said:

Well done. Superb. It's been a while since I extended my collection of oxymoronic phrases (the one that starts with 'military intelligence', and continues with 'honest politics', etc.), but this one definitely makes the cut.

Industrial action also comes to mind along with leftover wine.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DenysW said:

Sympathetic detonation?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

My car was attacked this morning by a suicide pigeon £150 for a new radiator grille £3 jetwashing its remains off the car

Money I had been saving to start a layout

If it's  standard gauge, 7 mm scale, I can let you have some track and points.

After all, my generosity is exceeded only by my beauty.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes but his fist isn't quite what it used to be.

Jamie

The problem is the smaller coins fall through the hole.

Andy

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, SM42 said:

The problem is the smaller coins fall through the hole.

Andy

Yeah, tell me about it, I have the same problem. 

• Funny 3

Houses in the US have to have a deck. I'm not really sure why but any dwelling that does not have a deck is to be shunned.

Naturally our house has a deck too but as it was built 26 years ago it is now fontaebits. The wooden railings are particularly bad and need to be replaced. So rather than replace them with wood I thought I might as well make steel replacements (steel is about the same price as cheap wood).

The tricky bit is they will be constructed with square steel tubing which is only about 1/16th of an inch thick and that makes welding rather unforgiving. If you are not careful you can easily blow a hole right through the steel. I thought I better do some practicing before I ruin a lot of material. After a considerable amount of mucking about and buying just about every type and thickness of welding electrodes I think I'm just about there.

DSCN0486.JPG.b48c1d17312eae560e8f3fdb33432fd3.JPG

That's Abraham the Lincoln welder beside his pal Edward the compressor.

(Keen observers will note that Abraham is AC/DC)

Edited by AndyID
typhoo
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyID said:

The tricky bit is they will be constructed with square steel tubing which is only about 1/16th of an inch thick and that makes welding rather unforgiving. If you are not careful you can easily blow a hole right through the steel. I thought I better do some practicing before I ruin a lot of material. After a considerable amount of mucking about and buying just about every type and thickness of welding electrodes I think I'm just about there.

Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a MIG Welder.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

28 minutes ago, polybear said:

Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a MIG Welder.......

MIG would make it a bit simpler but I'd have a hard time justifying the $$$ and I'd have to learn different techniques. Now that I've got the right electrodes I can attach the verticals to the rails with a weld that looks similar to a soldered joint.

Next step is to make a jig to hold all the bits in the right place while I weld them.

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I think you nailed it there Dave.

Jamie

Someone needs to take you in hand, Jamie. You can’t just palm us off with the same old tired puns, you need to get your finger out, do some reading so that next time you can make a decent fist of it!

• Funny 10