Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

things are moving along quite rapidly in the Hippozone.

I got  a call this morning telling me our new garage doors have arrived and did I want them fitted tomorrow?

The answer was yes, so I then had to go out and clear the area around the existing doors which included an extension cable (temporary) with a pair of sockets to provide power to the doors.

Also needed was the removal of a shelf and the redeployment of it's contents into the store shed.  Of course, to do this I needed to create room in the storeshed first, then shift all the paint and other things in cans, before demolishing the shelf.

One of the exiasitng garage doors threw a wobbly on learing that it was bering replaced, and blew open with such force that it bent the lower hinge and this meanst the door could not be closed again. Well it did, after some not too gentle persuasion with my lump hammer.

The next time it's opened will be it's last.

I have given myself a strong talking to, about not keeping the doors for the timber!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

...snip... I have given myself a strong talking to, about not keeping the doors for the timber!

isn't that something that you could correct before the remains of old ones are hauled away?

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

isn't that something that you could correct before the remains of old ones are hauled away?

They are definitely going!

At the rate I am disposing of  stuff 'too small to be of any use, but I'll hang onto it anyway', I'll be able to get a car in the garage by Christmas.  (Is that a low flying pig I see before me?)

• Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'll be able to get a car in the garage by Christmas.

I really hope I don’t have to as that would mean removing all of my Scalextric track and making the railway layout into an end to end rathe than round the walls layout. Any modelling for the last year has been for my narrow gauge layout. The slot car and standard gauge model railway have been neglected. Over the last couple of days as part of my garage tidy I have removed stuff from the car and train layouts and I have had powered vehicles moving on both. The slot car track needed a bit of soldering, a couple of the push fit electric connectors wouldn’t connect so I made them permanent. One train , just set off from where it had been parked over a year ago but another lot of track needed cleaning. Not sure why some did and some didn’t. Pleased it worked at all.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

As it happens @Happy Hippo we had our new roller shutter garage door fitted yesterday afternoon. Ours is running on an extension cable until the weekend until I have time to wire it up properly. The fitter did offer to do it for an extra £50 but i have most of the materials in stock I just need to buy a new single socket front from Toolstation.

The next job is to spray some concrete sealer on the floor to stop the dust on the floor area we have cleared then move the assortment of stuff left to the front of the garage then do the sealant on the back of the floor. It's a damn sight warmer in there already. 

We have redone the lighting with an Led batten (I may fit another one at the back but will see how we go).

The ceiling has been lined with polystyrene tiles (fire retardant ones).

Hopefully we can start building a layout at some point soon .

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

They are definitely going!

At the rate I am disposing of  stuff 'too small to be of any use, but I'll hang onto it anyway', I'll be able to get a car in the garage by Christmas.  (Is that a low flying pig I see before me?)

Big H are they circling? If so that's the time to worry as it means that you're actually starting to believe your own b*"':;'**t.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

The flying pigs did a couple of orbits around the Hippodrome, dragged in the rain clouds and left.

Their final message on departure was 'We have cancelled today's opthalmic appointment (again).'

Work is  already starting outside on the garage door replacement.

SOP for me on arrival of contractors is to ask if they want tea or coffee and how they take it.

Supply drinks (in this case two teas NATO) and add box of biscuits for good measure.

Point out where the lavatorial facilities are.

Let them get on with it.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

'We have cancelled today's opthalmic appointment (again).'

Talking of cancellations.  

Our son’s partner developed a growth on an ovary - and it grew and grew.  Thankfully it was benign but it would take a long complicated op to get rid of it.  The op was cancelled three times because they couldn’t get a surgical team together. Apparently such a long op needs a ‘reserve’ surgeon available.  Finally, they said the op must go ahead.  Accordingly she arrived,  as instructed, at the hospital on Tuesday at 7.30 am only to be told there was not a bed available for her.  What the ****!!!   Was the surgical team going to sit and twiddle thumbs for seven hours that day.  

Her parents arrived to pick her up around 10 and just as they were about to leave she was informed that they had found a bed for her and the op went ahead several hours late. The surgeon advised her to formally complain in the strongest possible terms.

Are things so bad in our hospitals that they would stand down a surgical team for want of a bed?  It would seem so.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

........and add box of biscuits for good measure.

Ahh, the good 'ol Bribery Trick.  Cunning.

1 hour ago, BoD said:

Her parents arrived to pick her up around 10 and just as they were about to leave she was informed that they had found a bed for her and the op went ahead several hours late. The surgeon advised her to formally complain in the strongest possible terms.

Bear suspects that the Surgeon(s) said to the Bed Manager(?) "You WILL find a bed, and you'll find it NOW"....or I'll make your life a very unhappy place....

• Agree 9

Nicked from the BBC website.  Shurely shome mishtake?  "Liz Truss has been in office for just 45 days - the shortest tenure of any UK prime minister. The second shortest serving PM was George Canning, who served for 119 days after dying in 1827."  Since corrected.

Rumour has it that Larry will be ennobled to serve as PM.  Certainly the only one at No.10 capable of doing a job properly

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear suspects that the Surgeon(s) said to the Bed Manager(?) "You WILL find a bed, and you'll find it NOW"....or I'll make your life a very unhappy place....

Back in my old life it was suggested a good move for me would be to apply for the bed manager's post that had become vacant.  I can only assume they wanted rid of me from their department at the time, it was a grade higher but...bed manager at Newcastle General?  No way jose.  Would have been even worse than the outpatients manager job I ended up in!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have decided I need a USN style dive klaxon to sound when the garage doors are opening and closing.

How long would it be before you were informed it was very irritating? After our washing machine was repaired it started beeping at the end of a wash. Aditi wanted to know why it was beeping. I hadn’t heard it. She thought I was being awkward.  

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, polybear said:

Surgeon now ‘going off it’ because ward removed drips and drains without his knowledge and didn’t increase pain management accordingly. Poor lass was in distress until he came round.

I think the bed was quickly found for her without the ward being informed of the nature or seriousness of the op.  The junior doctor on the ward thought it was a straightforward hysterectomy and told her it was just keyhole surgery.   They would find it hard to remove a lump the size of a very large orange through a keyhole.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, bbishop said:

Nicked from the BBC website.  Shurely shome mishtake?  "Liz Truss has been in office for just 45 days - the shortest tenure of any UK prime minister. The second shortest serving PM was George Canning, who served for 119 days after dying in 1827."  Since corrected.

Rumour has it that Larry will be ennobled to serve as PM.  Certainly the only one at No.10 capable of doing a job properly

You were saying?

image.png.eeb0c8228a038a92be85b9561d0de23a.png

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

4 hours ago, DenysW said:

I am willing to believe this given the stubbornness of the ruling classes, but should 'after' be replaced by 'before'?

I would hope so 😄

(I'd vote for "when he died".)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

After 20 hours on the road, I am in the motherland again.

The beautification of SM42 Towers can wait. 

A couple of guys from work also happen to be in town ( a seed sown with Mrs SM42  pre lockdown has come into fruit) 

We are hoping to get some steam haulage in tomorrow. 

Mrs SM42 will be a railway widow for a few days. 

As for HH's garage doors  need I point out it will soon be bonfire night. 

I still have the remains of the old skirting hanging around for that very reason.  

Andy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1