Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Nyda has got up early to put out the chairs and sell tickets to the crowds, who are already queueing outside the front gate of the Hippodrome, in order to witness the final touches to the summer house roofing exhibition.

The final touch being the roof cap, which is a bronze finished sphere.

Once this has been fitted I will stand astride this golden globe and make a long and tedious speech to the assembled masses below.

I will then make a dignified descent to terra firma and go for a well earned drink at the post production party.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 15

And Mr Hippotomus how long have you had these delusions of grandness?

Do please lie back on the couch please. Mrs Miggins at No 31 has enough on her plate without seeing you naked in the window. No don't do your impression of Swan Lake either.

That parachute training will come in handy at last as yourll know how to land properly without embarrassing yourself.

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I don't know, as we don't have a No 31 in our lane or the surrounding area.

There are 40 houses in our road. The first house is number 1. The last house is number 41. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I went to see my late friend, Mike Storey's widow today.  She is doing well  at the moment.  One fly in the ointment though.  She wants her son in law to take their car back to the UK.  There is a snag.  The undertaker didn't check Mike's  pockets and he has been buried with his car keys. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Nyda has got up early to put out the chairs and sell tickets to the crowds, who are already queueing outside the front gate of the Hippodrome, in order to witness the final touches to the summer house roofing exhibition.

The final touch being the roof cap, which is a bronze finished sphere.

Once this has been fitted I will stand astride this golden globe and make a long and tedious speech to the assembled masses below.

I will then make a dignified descent to terra firma and go for a well earned drink at the post production party.

11 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

And Mr Hippotomus how long have you had these delusions of grandness?

Do please lie back on the couch please. Mrs Miggins at No 31 has enough on her plate without seeing you naked in the window. No don't do your impression of Swan Lake either.

That parachute training will come in handy at last as yourll know how to land properly without embarrassing yourself.

For some reason I have visions of this going pear-shaped and HH landing awkwardly on a fence or something performing some sort of numbing blank-firing procedure.

Shaun.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

We're absolutely cream-crackered this morning after the weekend yard sale. It did go well having sold 16 boxfuls of junk, surplus gardening supplies and contracting stuff. It did take from 3;30 till about 8pm to clear everything away including about 60 feet of makeshift display tables. All we have left to do is decide what to spend the big bundle of cash on.

Rogue Valley Train show have invited me to exhibit over the Thanksgiving weekend again this year but I'll have to decline due to Covid still posing a serious threat. I hope they understand that as a type one diabetic with damaged lungs from pneumonia it's simply out of the question. It was nerve racking trying to keep my distance from folk outside over the weekend.

Regards Shaun.   

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

@jamie92208 I would have thought you would know a couple of candidates who would be able to start the car up without the need for keys

What Bear does know is that in the event of no spare key then that's one problem that could get very expensive very quickly.......security coded chips in the keys don't help either.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

By Jove!

Jupiter tonight. The long run of cloud free nights is about to come to an abrupt end.

22_02_40_pss.png.2607f640095be4428d072f80f45cd309.png

That looks supspiciously like the orb on the top of our summerhouse.

IDSPYDY takes on a whole new meaning🤣.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

What Bear does know is that in the event of no spare key then that's one problem that could get very expensive very quickly.......security coded chips in the keys don't help either.

A main dealer should be able to provide a replacement including any chips. Well thats in the UK anyway. I had to have the battery replaced in my key and they had to reset the code and they just put the car details into an app (password protected).

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A main dealer should be able to provide a replacement including any chips. Well thats in the UK anyway. I had to have the battery replaced in my key and they had to reset the code and they just put the car details into an app (password protected).

There are vehicles (such as a friend's Proton) where the keys, locks, Engine Management Unit and Immobiliser/Alarm were all coded together - and getting to the Immobiliser meant pulling out the dashboard.  It was a perfectly good (apart from that) car, worth five hundred quid.  It ended up in the scrapyard because to fix it was far more than it was worth.

When I wanted a spare key for the Bearmobile I had to email photos of the key (both sides - there were no numbers stamped on the key) to the dealer, who then forwarded them to the manufacturer - they provided a key to the dealer who then needed the Bearmobile in order to code the key to the car; it had to be done on a weekday because the manufacturer had to be open in order to provide some special code to enable the key to be coded - and the "special code" was only valid on that day.  Fortunately it was all done via a GAP insurance key cover policy so cost the Bear diddly squat; they did search all their other key suppliers but none could do it.

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/08/2022 at 01:46, jjb1970 said:

I know people who are still convinced it makes a night and day difference to sound quality 😯 I have a friend in Japan who is incredibly switched on in most things and has a doctoral degree in engineering, yet he paid $$$$$$$$$$s to have his own dedicated transformer pole for the electrical supply to his house and re-wired half his home with snake oil wire as he is convinced it lifts a veil and all the other nonsense (my favourite is 'my wife could hear the difference from the kitchen'). However, he has impeccable taste in music (and food) so I give him a pass. A few years ago as a joke I once suggested developing a n audiophile rotary converter, the crazy thing was people took it seriously (a rotary converter is something used on ships to provide a clean electrical supply to certain circuits, it's just a motor driving a generator but it gives isolation from the main system).

A late pal and I tried one of the green pens out on one copy of a disc we both had so we could make a comparison.

No audible difference and my mate was one of those guys with "golden ears" and could tell if your vinyl was being played via a MC or MM cartridge.

We did try it also on a couple of discs with rather dodgy looking edges and a tendency to skip. It appeared to help a bit with those, but only the playing, not the sound.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

A somewhat productive day so far, with work in the garage and sorting out the aftermath of the summerhouse construction.  This was mainly putting things away and getting rid of plastic bags and bits of cardboard.

I do have a rather large pile of nails left over due to my decision to uses woodscrews instead.  This probably accounted for why some of the work took so long.

Of course there is no peace for the wicked and Nyda asked me to do something with an old wooden biscuit mold she had.  It was purely ornamental, so it was rubbed down to reveal a very nice light wood under the dark stain that was all the rage back in the 70s.

The carved indents were left dark and it was then sealed and had two coats of varnish to finish it off.  I was a bit wary at first, but the contrast does looks quite good, and it now has a bit more prescence that what previously looked like a dark plank.

Then a lawnmower was delivered for me to have a look at.  It won't go and having had a quick look  and with fuel getting through, it's possibly a fault in the ignition system. Further investigation is required. 

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

All those shysters sorry sellers on eBay cashing in on Hornby’s offering should take a leaf out of Dapol’s book - Hornby may well have donated from the original sales, but when you see examples being sold at twice/three times or more their original RRP and know that not a penny of such sales will make its way into NHS Charities’ coffers, it makes me mad!

Well done, Dapol!

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3