Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

I'll be at the Warrington show tomorrow, my 4th in about 7 weeks. I'm certainly making up for all the ones missed due to the pandemic. 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

No chance of any exhibitions unless you want an exhibition of me going up and down a ladder multiple times, and fitting felt shingles to the summer house roof.

I got half the roof done, but fortunately it's a two day exhibition and providing the weather stays fair, I should finish it off tomorrow.

Then I need to paint it!

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Back from the concert and can only describe it as absolutely brilliant. 

I can definitely recommend them if it's your sort of thing and have the chance to see them 

I am a little biased though

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BSW01 said:

I'll be at the Warrington show tomorrow, my 4th in about 7 weeks. I'm certainly making up for all the ones missed due to the pandemic. 

There's an outside chance that I'll get to Warrington Ex.

Having worked last week at GETS, this is my first full weekend off for 6 weeks....... (and possibly the only one until the end of November)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Having worked last week at GETS, this is my first full weekend off for 6 weeks....... (and possibly the only one until the end of November)

If you do manage to get there Mick, I’ll be wearing my ‘Old Git’ hat! 

9D0EEC83-567F-4250-B2C5-0048CE748A92.jpeg.4250c39e80dc71137d2d22a0bb208110.jpeg

So I should be easy to spot😂

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, newbryford said:

One of the biggest problems of working within the model railway industry is you end up working at exhibitions, rather than looking around them.

Mind you after a good show, you will have taken more money than you've spent.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

No exhibitions to visit nearby for me but the grass has started growing again just when I've taken the front axle of the lawn tractor to have it repaired. This is the offending item.

PA152661.JPG.25d75fcfcd2a81295d873a24b4e3de7e.JPG

Two pressings welded together. There are bushings at either end that the vertical part of the stub axles rotate in. I had noticed that the left front wheel was a little wonky. 

PA152660.JPG.e408e4191d599280796a77e57a78ea81.JPG

This was why. The weld had split from the bottom to nearly the top and the whole issue was well covered in grease and crud.  Our neighbour across the road had said that he could weld it, but having seen it has said that it's beyond him.   I'll now have to go and see Francois at the fabricators up the road.

Happy days.   I might even head back to the shed this afternoon and do some soldering.   I believe that the boss has some Strictly come prancing to watch.   I'd rather watch solder harden.

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I believe that the boss has some Strictly come prancing to watch.   I'd rather watch solder harden.

Jamie

Quicker and less mind numbing

What's not to like?

Andy

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Quicker and less mind numbing

What's not to like?

Andy

I disagree, not that I mind watching people being good at what they do, but on a more "basic" level, many of the dancers are, shall we say, "easy on the eye".

In other not-quite-railway-modelling-news, we had a Chinese takeaway on Friday night.  I now have six new clear plastic sealable tubs to store various model parts in.  To think people actually pay for such things in hardware stores.....

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Just been to the birthday party of a friends 1 year old.

Main motivation was the cake and of course 1 year olds don't eat much cake and hence there was enough for two helpings plus a take home slice for tomorrow 👍

Andy

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Is that TMI for tender ears.

Jamie

No just letting the Colombians know I don't need capturing,  getting cut off and then having to start a new career as a soprano.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Many years ago I opted for the blank firing procedure.

I lost one to cancer but that was almost 40 years ago. It's a good idea for all you younger chaps to check for any abnormalities on a regular basis.

• Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

The weather here has been spectacular for weeks. Cooling off a bit at night now which is hardly a surprise.

MrsID with Shona on our morning constitutional.

DSCN5714.JPG.9492361ab787378d8e3a939c4b155861.JPG

And naturally any excuse to exercise the oil seals.

DSCN5673.JPG.6bc76094e88850564b3aafc416f9ebfc.JPG

• Like 10

Well yesterday was a busy day, Julie had her Covid booster  at The OrthopaedicHospital, we shifted loads of logs (that will all need splitting and seasoning from our neighbours across the road to our house. He is an 89 year old ex forester who had just chopped down a tree at his house. We helped him log it and then moved them to our house and another neighbours. 

On Saturday evening we went into Shrewsbury for a very nice meal and a visit to Theatre Severn to see The Dark Side a rather good Pink Floyd tribute band. 

Sunday started with a surprise,  I found out we were having a sort out of our clothes, so that some could go to the charity shop. Then apparently the lawn needed mowing....

I thought retirement was supposed to be relaxing lol.

• Like 8
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

One of the biggest problems of working within the model railway industry is you end up working at exhibitions, rather than looking around them.

Mind you after a good show, you will have taken more money than you've spent.

I do try and make a point of exhibitions being either work, exhibiting my layout, doing a demo stand or just visiting and not mixing any of them. Even near-ignoring my boss at a previous show as I was there with my layout!

As it turned out, I didn't go as my modelling buddy couldn't make it and I had a dose of CBA. Instead, I did some of the M word at home as well as earning the near-mythical brownie points with some of the G word.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

The weather here has been spectacular for weeks. Cooling off a bit at night now which is hardly a surprise.

MrsID with Shona on our morning constitutional.

DSCN5714.JPG.9492361ab787378d8e3a939c4b155861.JPG

And naturally any excuse to exercise the oil seals.

DSCN5673.JPG.6bc76094e88850564b3aafc416f9ebfc.JPG

I take it Shona isn't the tree.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I take it Shona isn't the tree.

Correct. She's the small dog under the tree to the left of MrsID. (Do you need a new pair of specs? 😀)

Shona.JPG.53efc1974f36a0fdc1ea0c5e742649ab.JPG

Shona2.JPG.4504a2132c90d75ff5cdbdca8c0edb4d.JPG

😀

Edited by AndyID
add
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12