Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Pre ww2 personal mortgages were quite common.. Florence Field-Low bought my house in 1927 with a personal mortgage from the Wife of the Surgeon General of the Royal Navy!!

The firemens strike of 1977 was for £100 pounds a week...(which they got in the end)  My take home in the RAF at the time I was replacing the firemen was £96 a month... So the 1978 pay rise was somewhat needed..

Yes public sector pay was very poor in early 78. I actually saved for 2 years for a trip to the US with a view to getting recruited over there.  However 2 weeks before I set off I met a very attractive Peewee, as they were known then, in court one morning.  The rest as they say is history. I was actually offered a job by the Sherrif of Laramie county in Cheyenne. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

What an image that evokes!

He was a real character.  I had a ride out in a patrol car, breakfast with him and some local politicians. Then an hour with one of his Lieutenant's firing the weapons  in his car boot, and as a result of that ended up with a cab ride over Sherman summit.  I asked him if they had any problems with firearms.  He replied that there had been one incident with a shooter in the main squate.  What did you do I asked.  Sent one of my deputies, who'd been a sniper in Vietnam, up onto the roof of the county jail.  The shooter ceased to be a problem.  I've got a photo of his car sonewhere. I'll try and post it.  The full story of my trip to Canada and the US in 78 is told in the first few pages of my Anerican Railways thread.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

He was a real character.  I had a ride out in a patrol car, breakfast with him and some local politicians. Then an hour with 9ne of his Lieutenant's firing the wespons  in his car boot, and as a resultbof that ended up with a cab ride over Sherman summit.  I asked him if they had any problems with firearms.  He replied that there had been one incident with a shooter in the main squate.  What did you do I asked.  Sent one of my deputies, whi'd been a s iper in Vietnam, up onto the roof of the county jail.  The shooter ceased to be a problem.  I've got a photo of his car sonewhere. I'll try and post it.  The full story of my trip to Canada and the US in 78 is told in the first few pages of my Anerican Railways thread.

Jamie

The present incumbent also looks a real character: https://www.laramiecountywy.gov/_officials/sheriff/Bio.aspx

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Sent one of my deputies, [...], up onto the roof of the county jail.

Now in the movies, he's a dead man every time, thanks to the incredible shooting of the outlaw, who is of course the true wronged hero.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Now in the movies, he's a dead man every time, thanks to the incredible shooting of the outlaw, who is of course the true wronged hero.

Sadly for the shooter real life and death is not like the movies.

Jamie

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I am torn between doing outside jobs and pushing on the job that has a deadline.

Problem is I don't fancy doing  either. 

Andy

I feel your pain, but do not enjoy the taste of your cake.

You do have cake don't you?

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

18 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I am torn between doing outside jobs and pushing on the job that has a deadline.

Problem is I don't fancy doing  either. 

Andy

So you will spend the rest of the day deciding which job to do.

I should get stuck into a batch of P4 milk vans, but there is a brace of part built Wah-Oh bogies on the workbench.  Bill

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I feel your pain, but do not enjoy the taste of your cake.

You do have cake don't you?

That can only be answered in the past tense.

Cake eating has been a diversion from doing what needs to be done 

Andy

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes the staged over 2 years coincided with a certain Iron lady becoming PM. The sad part wascthstvit was negotiated and approved by her predecessor  Jim Callghan who hadcpreviously the parliamentary advisor  to The Police Federation and Merlyn Rees his Home Secretary.  Mrs T brought the second stage forward and we then got the 1st index linked rise in the following September.  3 rises in a year.  The end result was that mostvpeople forgot who had actually given us the deal.  

Jamie

Over the years I have taken great delight in setting people straight when they trot out the ageing "Maggie saw you alright" comments.

Jim Callaghan and Merlyn Rees appointed Lord Edmund Davies to investigate the then police pay and conditions, and all three of the main political parties agreed to abide by the recommendations of the report, whichever party was in power when Edmund davies reported back.

"Sunny Jim" was sent packing in 1979 following the 'Winter of Discontent' handing the keys of No.10 over to Mrs. T. who duly coughed up, without question.

( Whether Mrs. T had already realised she would need to rely heavily on the police during her tenure is open to debate )

There was a strong South Walian  connection with the pay award;

Jim Callaghan was MP for Cardiff South-East

Merlyn Rees was born in Cilfynydd, Pontypridd, and

Edmund Davies hailed from Mountain Ash.

It took  future Conservative administrations to tear up the (by then) tried and tested Edmund-Davies agreement, as well as rape and pillage police pensions..................but all that is for another place.

Edited by br2975
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

What looks like a pleasant start to the day will involve lots of action outside in the sunshine.

I already have my task list which was previously worked out and varied depending on the outside conditions:  Nyda will no doubt gravitate to the garden after she's finshed work, so some point during the morning.

Over the past few days I have come up with yet another S Wales scheme for the replacement to Pantmawr North which might be the 'next interim' before Aberflyarff (LL) is commenced.

The plan is currently lodged with br2975 who will pass a verdict in due course along with a string of useful comments.

It does incorporate a number of Brian's LDE (Layout Design Elements) so I remain hopeful that it will pass muster.

I'm just catching up with things Mr. Hippo, after returning from the 30'C sun currently illuminating Murcia.

I shall burrow into your messages and e.mails later, and get back. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, br2975 said:

I'm just catching up with things Mr. Hippo, after returning from the 30'C sun currently illuminating Murcia.

I shall burrow into your messages and e.mails later, and get back. 

Can I now send the package for Dan?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Jim Callaghan and Merlyn Rees appointed Lord Edmund Davies to investigate the then police pay and conditions, and all three of the main political parties agreed to abide by the recommendations of the report, whichever party was in power when Edmund davies reported back.

Teaching was very much the same back then.  Pay would fall further and further behind and then there would be a report followed by a ‘relatively’ reasonable increase.  Pay would then start to fall behind again until another report was deemed necessary.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, br2975 said:

Over the years I have taken great delight in setting people straight when they trot out the ageing "Maggie saw you alright" comments.

"Sunny Jim" was sent packing in 1979 following the 'Winter of Discontent' handing the keys of No.10 over to Mrs. T. who duly coughed up, without question.

( Whether Mrs. T had already realised she would need to rely heavily on the police during her tenure is open to debate )

There was a strong South Walian  connection with the pay award;

Jim Callaghan was MP for Cardiff South-East

Merlyn Rees was born in Cilfynydd, Pontypridd, and

Edmund Davies hailed from Mountain Ash.

It took  future Conservative administrations to tear up the (by then) tried and tested Edmund-Davies agreement, as well as rape and pillage police pensions..................but all that is for another place.

Merlyn Rees was my MP and a really nice chap with clear and deeply held principles.  His constituency  home was in thecarea that I policed in 78 and 79.  A late friend of mine used to regulsrly sit  gaurding him overnight. Merlyn would often show Tony briefing papers and ask his opinion. As he wanted the opinion of a PC from the streets of Leeds rather than the federation bigwigs.  

Jamie

• Like 9

1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

Merlyn Rees was my MP and a really nice chap with clear and deeply held principles.  His constituency  home was in thecarea that I policed in 78 and 79.  A late friend of mine used to regulsrly sit  gaurding him overnight. Merlyn would often show Tony briefing papers and ask his opinion. As he wanted the opinion of a PC from the streets of Leeds rather than the federation bigwigs.  

Jamie

Jim Callaghan had a constituency flat in eastern Cardiff, and was not as pro-police as Merlyn Rees, in fact officers on static duty outside his flat would not even receive the offer of a cup of tea.

During the 1979 (?) General Election hustings two of my colleagues, a PS and PC, were detailed to perform plain clothes armed, static duties outside "Sunny Jim's" flat.

The 'Operational Order' directed they draw their weapons at Barry Police Station, where they duly attended and presented their warrant cards and  'permits' to the Superintendent, who handed each officer a Smith & Wesson, and shoulder holster. 

"Haven't you forgotten something sir ?" asked Dave, the sergeant.

"Like what ?" responded the pompous Superintendent.

"Ammunition" replied Dave.

"Pass me the op order , sergeant" directed the Super, who then read aloud.......

"........Sergeant A******n and Constable M****y will attend Barry Police Station where upon production of identification and authorisation each will draw a .38 Smith & Wesson, and  shoulder holster."

The Superintendent turned to Dave and growled "Show me where it says I have to issue you with ammunition Sergeant ?"

So it was that two plain clothes officers with empty firearms protected the Prime Minister during the height of 'The Troubles'

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Better than us guarding military bases, we were issued with a pickaxe handle and a whistle.. Sometimes, quite often nothing at all..

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I've done some of the outside jobs. 

The garden has been tamed. 

I can't be bothered to get the drill and masonry bits out, so boxing in some pipes can wait. I've cut the timber ready though. 

The brown bin ( garden rubbish) is full so I have left a neat (ish)  pile waiting for it to be emptied next week. 

Recovering some energy now before starting prepping for more painting. 

An SM42's work is never done. 

Only good thing is that as today is a standby shift  I'm getting paid. Hopefully the phone won't ring before midnight when my standby period ends.

With a bit of luck and a fair wind, the west wing will get a little emptier over the week end.

Andy

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Jim Callaghan was one of our local MPs in Cardiff.  My grandfather liked him because Callaghan had 'worked for a living' prior to becoming a politician.

He was the last British PM to have served in the armed forces.

Hmm might be wrong big H but at thought that was Paddy Ashdown.

Do you mean he was the last of the politicians who fought in WW2?

By that I don't mean the World Welly Championships.

Be careful how you pronounce that.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hmm might be wrong big H but at thought that was Paddy Ashdown.

Do you mean he was the last of the politicians who fought in WW2?

By that I don't mean the World Welly Championships.

Be careful how you pronounce that.

Paddy Ashdown didn't make it to Prime Minister.

Charlie

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

You are correct but in my defence I did say I might be wrong.

You did, and you were.🤣

It happens to us all from time to time.

When it comes to making decisions around the house, if I make one without consultation, it will be wrong.

If I suggest a method of operation during a consultation, I will be wrong.

If I am right, I can guarantee a rule will be invoked which proves me wrong.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

When it comes to making decisions around the house, if I make one without consultation, it will be wrong.

If I suggest a method of operation during a consultation, I will be wrong.

If I am right, I can guarantee a rule will be invoked which proves me wrong.

If I am alone, in the middle of a forest, miles from the nearest civilisation I will still be wrong.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11