Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

12 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

On first reading of that I misread bears for bairns and thought, "Oh, heck, Polybear's gone into advertising. Next thing we'll be getting bombarded with exhortations to buy more LDC."

Dave

You don't want to know what it changed it to when I typed it do you.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'd be very worried if I was you Bear. It's when they accept that they have made a b........,ks of it that the trouble really starts. As they then try to fix it.

One of the worst things that can happen is when someone tries an identity fraud thing and signs you up for another supplier. The usual reason for this is someone trying to get a referral bonus. 

Apparently I'd also signed up for pet insurance for a dog that we didn't have (we have three cats - despite them being fairly domesticated/docile - I'm pretty certain that they would eat a dog between them)

I received the usual "welcome to XXX energy supplier" email, as well as the matching "Goodbye from YYY, we're sorry to see you're going" email

I quickly contacted both XXX and YYY and they both confirmed that it was a scam and nothing else needed doing. The words used by both were "erroneous transfer".

In the next couple of weeks, I then received another couple of emails from YYY with "you'll receive your final bill on such a date" - which were responded to and duly confirmed that all was still well and it was their automated system at fault.

Then the bills from YYY stopped....

After 8 weeks, I contacted YYY and according to them, as I had left them, I was now a new customer..... and they would take me back with a more expensive deal.  WTF!

Another 4 weeks passed with YYY doing nothing and despite repeated emails to them (actually informing them that I wanted to give them money), I was still a "new customer" and had to pay the new rate.

To use an ER phrase - they were a bunch of hoofw@nking sh!tweasel bunglec*nts.

Time to step up the response.

With many major companies, if emails fail, then the best way to get their attention is to post on their very public social media pages rather than dealing with their "computer says no" auto responses.

The  "I'm not a new customer" thing was finally sorted within a few days with a sort of apology from YYY, but as expected, accompanied by a bill for the missing 12 weeks.

(I was sensible and had put funds to one side in preparation knowing that I had been using energy in the meantime.)

But I was still annoyed at the messing around that they'd put me through.

Cue another salvo on social media.

The company was First Utility and I questioned if that the company initials meant something else - the second word is Up..

I then received a proper apology with a refund of a months bill!

Result.

Then I left them for a better deal..........................

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, newbryford said:

One of the worst things that can happen is when someone tries an identity fraud thing and signs you up for another supplier. The usual reason for this is someone trying to get a referral bonus. 

Apparently I'd also signed up for pet insurance for a dog that we didn't have (we have three cats - despite them being fairly domesticated/docile - I'm pretty certain that they would eat a dog between them)

I received the usual "welcome to XXX energy supplier" email, as well as the matching "Goodbye from YYY, we're sorry to see you're going" email

I quickly contacted both XXX and YYY and they both confirmed that it was a scam and nothing else needed doing. The words used by both were "erroneous transfer".

In the next couple of weeks, I then received another couple of emails from YYY with "you'll receive your final bill on such a date" - which were responded to and duly confirmed that all was still well and it was their automated system at fault.

Then the bills from YYY stopped....

After 8 weeks, I contacted YYY and according to them, as I had left them, I was now a new customer..... and they would take me back with a more expensive deal.  WTF!

Another 4 weeks passed with YYY doing nothing and despite repeated emails to them (actually informing them that I wanted to give them money), I was still a "new customer" and had to pay the new rate.

To use an ER phrase - they were a bunch of hoofw@nking sh!tweasel bunglec*nts.

Time to step up the response.

With many major companies, if emails fail, then the best way to get their attention is to post on their very public social media pages rather than dealing with their "computer says no" auto responses.

The  "I'm not a new customer" thing was finally sorted within a few days with a sort of apology from YYY, but as expected, accompanied by a bill for the missing 12 weeks.

(I was sensible and had put funds to one side in preparation knowing that I had been using energy in the meantime.)

But I was still annoyed at the messing around that they'd put me through.

Cue another salvo on social media.

The company was First Utility and I questioned if that the company initials meant something else - the second word is Up..

I then received a proper apology with a refund of a months bill!

Result.

Then I left them for a better deal..........................

I had the same thing happen to me. I kept getting letters from British Gas with my address but another name. Next thing is I got a letter from my energy supplier asking for a meter reading as I was transferring to British Gas. I contacted my supplier and they weren't interested and told me to get in touch with British Gas as it was their mistake. This I did but when I told them I did not want to transfer my account they were not interested in sorting it out. When I asked them to sort their mess out the told me that I would have to sort it out myself. I did do that and fortunately my original supplier took me back on the same conditions. As it turned out British Gas did not register me or anyone else using my address as a customer and I wonder if I hadn't contacted my original supplier to re-open my account I would have been getting free gas and electricity.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

A former colleague bought a house and contacted the existing supplier who denied all knowledge of supplying the address. 

He contacted all the other companies too who said the same.

He did it again in writing, so when the first company came back for 2 years worth of bills, he told them they were not his supplier and they had confirmed it 2 years ago. 

Eventually they agreed  they did supply the address but had to write off the previous 2 years. 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, newbryford said:

Brilliant - fantastic idea.  Right, where's the phone book - Bear needs name & addresses - lots of 'em.......🤣

• Funny 9

36 minutes ago, polybear said:

Brilliant - fantastic idea.  Right, where's the phone book - Bear needs name & addresses - lots of 'em.......🤣

Now bear you've no time for running up your phone bill you need to be collecting kindling so that you can have a fire when your gas and electricity gets cut off due to the unpaid bill.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

In order to retain my military bearing, today's first action will be drill!

This will take place behind the bushes.

Then I will need some of the new brushes, to fit into the Hall motor unit and another bigger brush to clean up the immediate vicinity of the micro mill.

The rest of the morning will no doubt be spent using choice words and expressions as I re-assemble the loco.

The rest of the day will be spent using choice words and expressions as I try to get my stuff ready for tomorrow's show.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting posts re the ineptitude of energy suppliers.  I have had a similar example this week. Not on par with those outlined above but still incompetence.

Just this week I received two letters from the energy company informing me that they had omitted to send bills for March.  They told me that they would send copies of the bills but not to worry though as the gas/electricity use would have been accounted for in later bills/payment.  On closer inspection I found that these letters referred to mum's old house.  I had informed them in January of her death and then in April that I had sold the house and gave them final meter readings. I have had the final bills addressed to her estate and receipts showing them as paid.  I look forward to these 'omitted' bills. At which point I may revert to social media or fire of a letter to the CEO. 

• Friendly/supportive 14

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

It's not magnolia it's barley cream.

You don't know how close to the truth that is. 

Looks just like expensive magnolia. 

In this case keeping schtum is probably best as she doesn't like magnolia  despite the kitchen being painted in it for the first 10 years we were in residence.

Having said that she didn't notice the radiator was in primer for tbose 10 years either

Andy

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

47 minutes ago, SM42 said:

In this case keeping schtum is probably best as she doesn't like magnolia  despite the kitchen being painted in it for the first 10 years we were in residence.

Having said that she didn't notice the radiator was in primer for tbose 10 years either

Andy

Wouldn't worry Andy the last time i looked there was an entire- to use a botanical term, genus of magnolia themed colours - apple blossom, buttermilk, lighter shade of pale (or was that a song) anyway you get the ghist.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Matt finish radiators are all the rage.

I am not usually in a rage about stuff so I am glad my radiators are merely eggshell finish. They are at the matt end of the eggshell range. The colour is “house white” which I think is meant to be amusing. 

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Andy

Bear's tame carpet fitter said that if you show a customer a sample of carpet called sh1t brown they hate it, yet show 'em the very same carpet and call it "nutmeg dream" and they say "Oooooohhhh - I like that......."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

I have been thinking about getting some electric radiators to make use of our spring and autumn electricity surplus. They would save using our gas on days like today. We haven’t turned the central heating on but only because neither of us will admit to being cold yet. The cottage we stayed in recently had some interesting “intelligent” heaters with control options that would fit in with our solar energy generation. We don’t generate enough to cope with our  full winter heating requirements. I need to do some sums to work out whether it is worth using such heaters. Using it rather than getting 3.5pence for each kWh we export is part of the calculation, not that I expert to export anything during the winter months. 

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I am not usually in a rage about stuff so I am glad my radiators are merely eggshell finish. They are at the matt end of the eggshell range. The colour is “house white” which I think is meant to be amusing. 

Petite Properties do a colour called Old Sock which is a sort of grey white.

I did ask them if they would consider naming one of their range 'Baby's Yellow'.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I remember there used to be a whole range of "whites" that were anything but . Apple white, Daffodil white etc.

All our radiators are powder coated so they don't need painting 

Our radiators are also powder coated.....

With dust!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12