Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Yippee! I think I've collimated my telescope (unfortunately I can't test it due to cloud cover).

Collimation is just a fancy word for making the reflector and the mirror align correctly with the eyepiece. The telescope is a ten inch reflector. The main reflecting lens is a blooming heavy piece of glass on a metal frame which is attached to everything else by three 4mm adjustment screws. The mirror alignment is done with the scope horizontal which means the entire weight of the mirror assembly is being supported cantilever fashion on three 4mm screws 😀 Understandably they can be reluctant to rotate to change the plane of the mirror. It's a pretty crepey mechanical design but the optics are very good and it was not very expensive.

I have added a leaf-spring to relieve some of the lateral load on the screws and that seems to have done the trick.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, SM42 said:

What she doesn't know is I turned the heating off after 10 minutes 

She also doesn't know the old thermostat in the hall is no longer connected, so she can set it a hot as she wants. 🤫

If you think it's warmer, it probably is. 

👍

Andy

A Buddy at work had one of those jobbies (Hive?) that let you control the heating remotely, as well as analyse what temperature the house was at (I think).  We had hours of fun watching him dial in a thermostat setting remotely, only for his daughter (who was at home) wind the wick up considerably.  He'd wait a few minutes then drop it again.  A while later he'd have a call from an irate daughter screaming down the phone at him.....and so it would go on......

8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

As per my early post the saga is twisted because the lying thieving ba............s have cocked up. When I first logged on to see how much I was supposed to pay they wanted £200 pounds which if I had gone ahead and paid would have put me ,£250 in credit. How do I know that well I read the meters and surprise I had an excess of £50. They really are crafty and several other words.

Bear is STILL waiting for an In-Home Display to be delivered - the so-called smart meters were fitted 3.5 months ago, yet they still ask for meter readings (a job for today cos' the prices are going up on Saturday). 

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

If not already checked in there are a couple of good threads in the Wheeltappers section on the USN and RN which are worth reading if you are interested in warships.

The Zumwalt is basically a technology demonstrator, the program was cut back to three hulls from an intended 30 or so, and Zumwalt was already an attempt to make the older DD-21 program more affordable when costs were going out of control. The centre piece of the ships was the advanced gunnery system 6" guns but they're just dry ballast as the ammo was cancelled as unaffordable. They are to be removed to make way for more VLS cells. Originally they were to have 57mm Bofors guns with guided smart ammo as CIWS (the same guns going on the Type 31) but that was cancelled when the ammo was judged as unaffordable too (assuming the technical issues would be resolved). However, after the Zumwalt's are modified by removing the guns they will be useful and capable ships. The bigger problem is the LCS, both designs have been highly problematic, very expensive and resulted in extremely fast and stealthy but quite large ships with very limited capabilities and serious problems (hulls cracking up on one of the designs, never ending transmission issues on the other).

On a positive note perhaps they'll make useful artificial reefs some time in the future.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

25 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear is STILL waiting for an In-Home Display to be delivered - the so-called smart meters were fitted 3.5 months ago, yet they still ask for meter readings (a job for today cos' the prices are going up on Saturday)

I probably should not mention this but I did work for a company that made radio-readable meters (electric, gas and water). At one point I was stuck with trying to collect readings from all the electric meters in very a large city in Pennsylvania, every fifteen minutes! A software outfit from the UK was part of the project - I better say no more 😄

Then there was also the development outfit in France...........

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Could somebody please point out to advertisers on various sales sites, that expertly weathered does not mean using a 1/2" brush to daub dung coloured paint over the bottom half of the vehicle in question.

It might be what I end up doing, but I don't claim it's been expertly weathered.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Could somebody please point out to advertisers on various sales sites, that expertly weathered does not mean using a 1/2" brush to daub dung coloured paint over the bottom half of the vehicle in question.

It might be what I end up doing, but I don't claim it's been expertly weathered.

Having seen the video of your tail twirling action, you must be an expert at that.

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

A Buddy at work had one of those jobbies (Hive?) that let you control the heating remotely, as well as analyse what temperature the house was at (I think).  We had hours of fun watching him dial in a thermostat setting remotely, only for his daughter (who was at home) wind the wick up considerably.  He'd wait a few minutes then drop it again.  A while later he'd have a call from an irate daughter screaming down the phone at him.....and so it would go on......

Could always blame the tech.

A colleague of mine went one further by setting up a speaker in the loft and would quietly play the sound of children singing  nursery rhymes  like ring of roses ( Sapphire and Steel style for our older readers, ) at a volume such as they could only just be heard, making the source hard to find. 

The haunted house back story helped. 

Needless to say he got some grief from his offspring when the jape was revealed before she went completely doolally tap.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Now Big H don't knock the poor copy writers they can't help it. It comes naturally to them just like you swirling your tale for them it comes straight out of there mouths.

Besides which think of all the little bairns they have to provide for.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Besides which think of all the little bairns they have to provide for.

On first reading of that I misread bears for bairns and thought, "Oh, heck, Polybear's gone into advertising. Next thing we'll be getting bombarded with exhortations to buy more LDC."

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
When I first posted, the spell mucker changed bairns to Nairnshire's. I ask you!
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Things are not following their chain of events this morning.

I finished off the outer face of the bearing to a snug push fit first time.

Usually I end up with a pile of swarf and lots of naughty words before getting it right on about the third attempt.

I'll not mention the drilling out being easy for fear of hexing the process.

I'll give it a rest now until this afternoon as I have quite a bit of work to do in the garage: None of which is train related.

I also need to sort out the cake run after finding out DH will fail to launch in my direction on Saturday.

Of course, it has to be stated quite categorically, that this is in no way his fault, and is a result of a decision at higher command to ground all weekend mercy flights until further notice.

Back to my PBI role.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

We have Hive heating and a couple of Hive  light bulbs.

When i was at work I used to turn lamps on and of on my phone just for fun. Used to drive the Mrs potty.

We got a letter from the gas supplier this morning asking for a meter reading for the 30th. Its a job for Saturday we have until the 5th of October to submit it.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

One is not amused.

I  drilled and checked the clearance hole of the bush to ensure the carbon brush was able to slide up and down without issue.

The bush was then  trimmed to length and fitted to the motor housing.

New brushes were collected from the packet and....

They did not fit!

When measured, the new brushes are 0.5 mm greater in diameter than the old ones.

Tomorrow morning I will have to carefully open out the hand made bush and the factory fitted one in order to get a matched set.

Nimrod wings immediately spring to mind🤣.

I won't try and fix the issue this evening as I've just had a haircut and am naturally feeling rather light headed.

Beer might be a useful antidote.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Beer is being imbibed at SM42 Towers.

We have just had a visit from two Ukrainian sisters who arrived on Friday to stay with our neighbours 

An hour of conversation in broken English and Polish with a smattering of Polish sounding Ukrainian words and Russian 

My head hurts now.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

What you describe is not "expert weathered", but "PRO-WEATHERED"....

Capitals are compulsory.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

We got a letter from the gas supplier this morning asking for a meter reading for the 30th. Its a job for Saturday we have until the 5th of October to submit it.

I have a smart meters for both gas and electric and a duel fuel tariff.

Apparently my readings are taken half-hourly so there's no need for mine to be submitted around the price change date.

Although for some reason, this months bill doesn't include electricity.

I have sent them an appropriate communication...........

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Despite sending in readings last price change, I still had an estimated bill. 

The estimate was one out from reality on gas and two out on the electrickery.

I was mildly impressed by this level of accuracy. 

Andy

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

As narrow as that?

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, AndyID said:

I probably should not mention this but I did work for a company that made radio-readable meters (electric, gas and water). At one point I was stuck with trying to collect readings from all the electric meters in very a large city in Pennsylvania, every fifteen minutes! A software outfit from the UK was part of the project - I better say no more 😄

Then there was also the development outfit in France...........

Bear phoned this morning to discuss why an in-home display has yet to arrive; after looking at my account it seems that Bear's very latest super-duper smart meters are sooooo smart that they won't work with the current network surrounding Bear Towers - and as a consequence are working in "legacy mode".  Huh?  The bottom line is that an IHD won't work at Bear Towers.  What a total and utter FWAOT.

And despite submitting readings they estimate on the bill.  And I never did get an explanation as to why one bill said I was £750 in credit - yet the very next bill says that the last bill was £300 in credit, not £750.  

However, they do now realise that all is not well with Bear's bills.....

F'wits.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

13 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear phoned this morning to discuss why an in-home display has yet to arrive; after looking at my account it seems that Bear's very latest super-duper smart meters are sooooo smart that they won't work with the current network surrounding Bear Towers - and as a consequence are working in "legacy mode".  Huh?  The bottom line is that an IHD won't work at Bear Towers.  What a total and utter FWAOT.

And despite submitting readings they estimate on the bill.  And I never did get an explanation as to why one bill said I was £750 in credit - yet the very next bill says that the last bill was £300 in credit, not £750.  

However, they do now realise that all is not well with Bear's bills.....

F'wits.

I'd be very worried if I was you Bear. It's when they accept that they have made a b........,ks of it that the trouble really starts. As they then try to fix it.

If I were you i'd lay in a supply of kindling as I wouldn't be surprised if you get a bill saying you owe them £2.5 million, due to backdating and unless you pay with the next seven days they will be round to disconnect you.

Then of course the next bill will arrive and say your £250 in credit but that they would like to raise your direct debit to £3,000.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

• Funny 13