Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Coming Saturday….

968D8EC9-A943-453D-A5AC-99456ED13DAE.jpeg.3c5412b87022dd5cb89efe27e8df71ef.jpeg

Someone (me) got given a 1948 Rivett 504 high precision lathe, complete with full tooling and drive system. I’ve been away as I’ve been heavily involved in moving it from New York to Tulsa. Full details Sunday. 

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

From some recent posts it would seem that Neddy Seagoon and Grytpipe Thynn are here under assumed aliases. This has prompted me to dig out some of my old Goons CDs for some easy listening.

Dave

Thinks - what's a double entndededer then? Do you know Eccles?

Is that the guy who makes lovely cakes.

Jamie

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Someone (me) got given a 1948 Rivett 504 high precision lathe, complete with full tooling and drive system. I’ve been away as I’ve been heavily involved in moving it from New York to Tulsa. Full details Sunday.

Glad to read that you are OK. But, New York?? is anything worth going to New York???? Well, just maybe you are referring to upstate and not that city of the same name!

EDIT: Now you need a decent mill.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do a minor edit.
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

It is still only Thursday so everything should be fine. Things only go wrong when 24hours from Tulsa according to Gene Pitney. 

That deserves the loudest groan possible.

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Coming Saturday….

Douglas

Now that cries out for an overhead shaft on the ceiling plus drive belts......

Is Florence familiar with this site - excellent for Machinery info, amongst an awful lot of other stuff:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/rivett/page5.html

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

41 minutes ago, polybear said:

Now that cries out for an overhead shaft on the ceiling plus drive belts..... ...snip...

Not to mention a boiler and a fifty horsepower Corliss engine to power it all!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

OK.

Not being familiar with the US legal system so you'll have to forgive my naivety but i would have thought though that a letter from the association's legal representative highlighting the relevant statement and the fact any legal costs etc  would have to be met by the association members would  be enough to stop this from going any further. That's what would occur here and is usually enough to 'scare' people back into line or is this person just pigheaded?

We are not quite there yet. First step was to get a survey which we still do not have. It's supposed to happen this week but the surveyors are all backed-up. The party said (verbally) that they would move their crepe if the survey proved they were trespassing but knowing the individual involved I think that will not happen.

• Friendly/supportive 7

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Is the other party after the land, the building, the well - or all of the above?

We really do not know. I called the person to try talk about it but they immediately blocked my phone number. 😀

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Coming Saturday….

Douglas

Carrying it in your arms as you hitched along the I 44 must have been fun!

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, AndyID said:

We really do not know. I called the person to try talk about it but they immediately blocked my phone number. 😀

That sounds like they've had legal advice not to talk...

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

There would be the Dearne on that list too as well as the Sheaf if they were all Pennine rivers and technically the Ouse as a continuation of the Ure

That could turn into a rather long list (shall we add the Worth and the Colne for starters ?).

Adrian

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Now that cries out for an overhead shaft on the ceiling plus drive belts......

Is Florence familiar with this site - excellent for Machinery info, amongst an awful lot of other stuff:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/rivett/page5.html

Yes been on the site a lot lately. It will have its original flat belt drive system installed which will be connected to a modern motor and VFD.

A3CF3B10-E37B-4A5D-8153-C251A47F1365.jpeg.93168a5a2f718f670d9b998b9ff6031f.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

It's good to hear you have both got the house on the market and the probate application completed.

I hope you will soon be in the position of having the house sold, then you'll just be waitng for probate - as I am right now.

I still have to call at the flat from time to time to check on it as required by my insurance company, but the visits are very brief, I know just how you feel.

Things do start to get back to normal, slowly.

David

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

7 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Not to mention a boiler and a fifty horsepower Corliss engine to power it all!

As much as I’d like to do that it would be harmful to the Corliss to be run under such little load, this lathe is only 3 feet long and a 1/2 HP DC motor runs it just fine.

A Corliss really needs to be driving a rolling mill (substitute in your preferred heavy industry) or under no load at all otherwise the governor will be fretting over where it should be all the time, which in turn will put excessive wear on the governor and its valve linkages.

Speaking of Corliss’ I recently acquired a gauge that is more than likely off one, this is a Worthington Simpson pressure gauge made in 1957 according to the inscription under the dial. Found it in a local junk shop.

2CB0134C-3C47-4C01-8286-69FA7ACFC894.jpeg.6be19c1abf818acd6386a941e2afd816.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Thr contractors skip was collected today.

I went to inspect it prior to it's departure and found a new wooden pallet and 3 used (once) 1 tonne builders bags.

The sacks are so useful for gardening, so they are now in the shed, and the pallet will be recycled into useful bits of timber.

The hedge is now fully trimmed and I just have to go around and pick up the clippings.

Luckily, I happen to have some spare1 tonne builders bags🤣

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 12
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

As much as I’d like to do that it would be harmful to the Corliss to be run under such little load, this lathe is only 3 feet long and a 1/2 HP DC motor runs it just fine.

A Corliss really needs to be driving a rolling mill (substitute in your preferred heavy industry) or under no load at all other wise the governor will be fretting over where it should be all the time, which in turn will put excessive wear on the governor and its valve linkages.

You can always put a bush on the top of the governor which will restrict the lift.

Edited by Happy Hippo
A brass bush not a bit of privet
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

You can always put a bush on the top of the governor which will restrict the lift.

A good point, although first I’d need to find a avaible Corliss. Preston Services has a disassembled one I think (and a Robey drop valve of similar size) but I’d get a right shouting at from my parents. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2