Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

I used to work with a german lady who always had raw garlic in her lunchtime sandwiches. Currently trying a few raw garlic cloves a day, but not sure if I'll see any health benefits (apart from people standing clear of me when I open my mouth)

There's a restaurant in Changwon, South Korea named "Death by Garlic".  Think "Spam spam spam spam...." only with Garlic.  ISTR they even had Garlic Ice Cream.  Did a good trade too.

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I think most will use a ghost writer,  that's understandable. The proof of the pudding (so-to-speak) is whether or not they have actually tried out the recipes in "their" cookbooks.

I'd hope that they would get someone (or even better, several) who the book is aimed at (i.e. Bear, Joe Average or iD) and get them to try out all the recipes.

* professional kitchens have way more heat/power available to them than the average domestic kitchen. Even an inexpensive salamander will pump out 2000W, whilst professional induction hobs will start at about 2700 Watts and go up from there

Bear's Induction Hob is rated at 7.35KW, with the most powerful ring being 3700W with the afterburners on.  Will that do?  Omelette's don't stand a chance....🤣

One final thought: very old cookbooks (1900s or earlier) can be great fun - not only for the dishes (e.g. "Mock Turtle Soup") but also for the cooking instructions (e.g. "first, kill a fat hen...")

Not sure if I still have it, but ISTR a Mrs. Beeton's Cookbook that included "Jugged Wallaby"...

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

We'll not discuss the table saw which has now dried off to LB&SCR brown.

Does Timmy the Table Saw now proudly display a Hippo Silhouette Sticker on the side?

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

There's a pasty shop at Euston station that sells pretty good cheese and onion pasties that I sometimes buy. If I get the pasty about half an hour before my train leaves it is just about at an edible temperature as we pass through Rugby.

Sayers pasties in Liverpool are much better in that sense, in fact the pastry is should be used for loft insulation.  I once bought two, left one in the car for over two hours and when I bit into it burned my mouth. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, polybear said:

Does Timmy the Table Saw now proudly display a Hippo Silhouette Sticker on the side?

I’m sure HH would give that comment the proverbial two fingered salute …

… if he could.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I think most will use a ghost writer,  that's understandable. The proof of the pudding (so-to-speak) is whether or not they have actually tried out the recipes in "their" cookbooks. Partly to check that the recipes does indeed produce the intended for dish and partly to see if a professional kitchen* recipe can be/has been adapted to domestic use. I have a number of cookbooks where it is clear that (a) the recipe doesn't work as written or (b) you need a semi-professional/professional kitchen in order to get the desired result.

Dad's former next door neighbour* was a writer of books on gluten-free cooking and she would completely agree with you.  It was always her claim that she had actually cooked every recipe in her (well-furnished but pretty normal) home kitchen, several times, until she was satisfied with the recipe.

*https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antoinette-Savill/e/B0034O78Q8%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Sayers pasties in Liverpool are much better in that sense, in fact the pastry is should be used for loft insulation.  I once bought two, left one in the car for over two hours and when I bit into it burned my mouth. 

Sayers had several shops in the Liverpool area when I was a kid and I always found them very good. There was one in Formby, where I lived as a teenager, and their pork pies and custard slices were superb.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Shock horror, played with the trainset this afternoon, due to a reduction in toasting levels.

Well that's an improvement Neil - the engine may still be green but it's a different green and the lettering is much improved. And it doesn't have panniers.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BoD said:

I’m sure HH would give that comment the proverbial two fingered salute …

… if he could.

Is there such a thing as a one and half-fingered salute?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Is there such a thing as a one and half-fingered salute?

I don’t know.

I’m not an education minister.

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Well that's an improvement Neil - the engine may still be green but it's a different green and the lettering is much improved. And it doesn't have panniers.

Dave

Nor have they wasted copper by putting it round the chimbley.

17 minutes ago, BoD said:

I don’t know.

I’m not an education minister.

Unfortunately  she's officially my MP.

It was cool enough for me to actually do some work in the shed tonight. Wonders never cease.

Jamir

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Feeling guilty for having just reinstated the garage air conditioner as my poor mum (in Essex) hasn't got one for her tiny flat. They don't even sell off the shelf in-window air conditioners in the UK. Must be some red tape involved.

I'm quite use to the heat now and can work in the shade when it's 95F. When the sun comes up over the trees however, I'd rather be eating a pasty from Euston station somewhere in the vicinity of satin's privates. 

My wife must have been reading this thread too. This morning she swept up the workshop! 

Now I can't make up my mind if I should do some more work or play trains in the cool.

Squatch.     

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6