Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

6 hours ago, Northmoor said:

@iL Dottorethat's not a Defender, it's a Series 2 (a very nice one too).  I .

Thank you for the FYI. Not being a “petrol head“ I really don’t have much knowledge about automobiles beyond the usual ability to match silhouette with badge (and even then I don’t get it right a lot of the times).

It’s interesting to note that Sir Jim Ratcliffe is building a modern version of the Land Rover (as I posted above) because I think reinventing/updating classic models is a an adventure fraught with failure or disappointment. Jaguar created the S type in 1999 (basically a modern version of the classic Jaguar Mk1/Mk2), Volkswagen created the Volkswagen Beetle (A5) - an updated version of the original, classic, VW Beetle. Unlike with the original models, I rarely see the updated Jag or the new generation Beetle around here. The less said about the reimagined Mini, the better – at least in my view. I would argue that Fiat’s reimagining of the classic Fiat 500 was a much better redesign than the Mini reimagining.

And for us old, unreconstructed, hippies Volkswagen is going to be releasing an updated version of the classic Volkswagen Kombi bus this year (https://www.tomsguide.com/news/vw-id-buzz).  So whilst we may not be able to get back into our tie-dyed jeans, grow our hair long again or blissfully ingest various mind altering substances; at least we’ll be able to listen to really good classic Rock ‘n’ Roll and Folk whilst driving an environmentally friendly hippie bus (the VW ID Buzz is electric). And in regards to “free love“ if you can (in more ways than one), go for it!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, pH said:

There is another suggestion for where the body used came from - the sinking of this carrier in the Clyde in March 1943, just before Operation Mincemeat;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dasher_(D37)

If you think about it, if you’re trying to create a believable scenario, the body of a Royal Navy officer (or perhaps even a real Royal Marine officer) who had died by drowning would be more appropriate to represent a Royal Marine officer who had drowned than that of a tramp who had died by poisoning.

Incidentally, the loss of HMS Dasher was the second most deadly Royal Navy sinking in home waters in WW2. (More lives were lost in the sinking of HMS Royal Oak.) Despite growing up on Clydeside, I was in my 50s before I first heard of it - it certainly was not publicized.

Most bodies that come from the wrecks of ships tend to be polluted with bunker oil.

Major Martin was supposed to have drowned after an aircraft ditching in the bay of Biscay.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

And for us old, unreconstructed, hippies....... whilst we may not be able to get back into our tie-dyed jeans, grow our hair long again or blissfully ingest various mind altering substances......

I often think that I missed out on the flower power era's attractions as joining the RAF in 1966 just short of my 19 th birthday put paid to long hair and mind altering substances, alcohol excepted, and by the time I left nearly forty years later I was almost hairless and my mind was in no state to be altered anyway.

Dave

PS and as for free love..... 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

12 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Right well a lot has happened in the last 48 hours.

Majorly, I got my first car.

This 2003 Land Rover Discovery SE, which thankfully has nothing major wrong with it. I’m very pleased with it, I’ve wanted a Land Rover since I was nine and never expected one to be my first car. 

AC7ED654-1B99-4DBA-BF3F-ED015FD9EA69.jpeg.e03d46507629144884ddce20f0af4759.jpeg

I was also gifted this today as an early birthday gift by my aunt and grandfather, a Georgian writing lap desk to accompany the drawing set. As they live in NZ it was more convenient to buy something here than in NZ and have it shipped here. It’s a very nice thing, and a I spent several hours making it look presentable again. The only big missing bit is the diamond shaped mother of pearl inset around the lock which I will either replace with brass or ivory. 

149B621D-31F8-4034-8216-8A9625440DF7.thumb.jpeg.dc41c1ff757154a2f1e6d4be95bc755d.jpeg

Here it is folded up.

C589098F-A6FC-49B2-ACDA-74E6F21DCD04.thumb.jpeg.cc8747032939c994baeec0e95ca87e86.jpeg

Douglas

A friend of mine has made a pretty good living over the years buying and restoring these cases. Nice wheels.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

We returned from Cheshire Oaks to the Hippodrome to find power has been restored.

My credit card has now gone for a lie down in a darkened room.

I have put my new socks away in a drawer where they have met up with their elderly relatives.

• Like 5
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Here's one for Dave:  He probably knows all those involved!

I do indeed know both Roy Lawrence and Al Inverarity well. Roy replaced me on 92 Sqn. In May 1980 whilst Al had been there before I left and I had flown with him. The story in the video is remarkably accurate. As a matter of interest the 'Jag killer' Phantom was one that I flew several times, albeit without shooting anything down.

Dave

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I do indeed know both Roy Lawrence and Al Inverarity well. Roy replaced me on 92 Sqn. In May 1980 whilst Al had been there before I left and I had flown with him. The story in the video is remarkably accurate. As a matter of interest the 'Jag killer' Phantom was one that I flew several times, albeit without shooting anything down.

Dave

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Here's one for Dave:  He probably knows all those involved!

I like to think I know a bit about "recent" military history, but had never heard of that incident until now.  Of course it might have been major news in the UK, had 25th May 1982 not been notorious for the attacks on SS Atlantic Conveyor and HMS Coventry in the South Atlantic.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

I like to think I know a bit about "recent" military history, but had never heard of that incident until now.  Of course it might have been major news in the UK, had 25th May 1982 not been notorious for the attacks on SS Atlantic Conveyor and HMS Coventry in the South Atlantic.

There are quite a few minor military 'incidents' from the 70/80s that will never make the press, and probably a good thing too! Either too embarrassing or too politically sensitive.

These days some numpty would upload his helmet cam onto Youtube or the like, and  then all hell would break loose. 

• Agree 8
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I saw some air crew today, wandering around Sleaford.

Flt Lts,

Wearing their green overall suit, and chip hats. Hands in pockets, and one had a beard.

I now realise the effects of the RAF getting rid of real Station Warrant officers...

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Flt Lts,

Wearing their green overall suit, and chip hats. Hands in pockets, and one had a beard.

I now realise the effects of the RAF getting rid of real Station Warrant officers...

It's all gone to pot really, hasn't it?

It's not just the loss of SWOs but the loss of what we regarded as reasonable standards.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Flt Lts,

Back in the day, a decent SWO would have ripped them well deserved new Ar*eh*l*s.

Even us pongo types know that officers with their hands in their pockets are a big nono

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Station Warrant Officer aka God

I know a few RSMs who would dispute that......

Of course a Conductor (used to be RAOC, now RLC) trumps them all apart from the singular Army RSM.

Conductors are the most senior Warrant Officers in the British Armed Forces (despite what the Household Division think).

The Army RSM being a one off appointment.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Station Warrant Officer aka God

Once, when I was a young Flying Officer at RAF Chivenor in Devon, I was walking along the main camp road when the SWO passed me going the other way on the opposite side. He gave me the usual extremely smart salute, which I returned with a, "Good morning Mr. Goodall." He stopped in his tracks and in the voice that SWOs were issued with and which could stop a grizzly bear in its tracks said, "Excuse me Sir, I saluted you!" Somewhat puzzled I replied, "And I returned your salute Mr. Goodall." Back came the response, "My apologies Flying Officer Hunt, I thought you were just brushing flies off your hat." A severely chastened DH stood erect and gave a parade ground salute, which achieved the response, "Thank you Sir. Enjoy your day."`

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

It's all gone to pot really, hasn't it?

It's not just the loss of SWOs but the loss of what we regarded as reasonable standards.

Dave

18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I know a few RSMs who would dispute that......

Of course a Conductor (used to be RAOC, now RLC) trumps them all apart from the singular Army RSM.

Conductors are the most senior Warrant Officers in the British Armed Forces (despite what the Household Division think).

The Army RSM being a one off appointment.

I believe that you are referring to the Garrison SM always from the Brigade ofvGaurds with an official residence in The Tower.  My son referred to him as god when he was in the Coldstreams. 

Jamie

• Like 8

My twin grandsons (aged 12) are Sea Cadets, and have commenced basic drill.

I recently enlightened them as to the antics, and comments of my two 'drill pigs' in training school.

There followed a lot of me screaming commands, and abuse at Rhys & Dan regarding everything from the length of their hair, to the poor creases in their . . . . . . jogging pants.

They were highly amused by the comments yelled at me prior to our senior course passing out............

"Rowwwwwleeeeee, you call that marching.........you move like a Russian General from Kurdistan, I'll call you Rowwwleeeovitch from now on !"

By the time he had us 'at ease' - it was my turn again.

"Rowleeeeovitch,  you march like a windmill having a fit ? - I will not permit you to desecrate my square on Thursday, you can fart ( well it sounded like fart....) about in the car park, meeting and greeting the VIPs - I bet you are a champion brown noser anyway !" 

R.I.P. Gwyn Michael, a true gent.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I'm not saying I was hopeless at drill and scruffy with it but whenever there was a big parade where I was stationed I was always first to be chosen for the flypast.

Dave

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm not saying I was hopeless at drill and scruffy with it 

Readers will be reassured to know that nothing has changed since Dave's youth.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I believe that you are referring to the Garrison SM always from the Brigade ofvGaurds with an official residence in The Tower.  My son referred to him as god when he was in the Coldstreams. 

Jamie

Not quite.  since 2015 the Army has appointed an Army RSM who is the official link between all other ranks and the General Staff.

it is a singular appointment and covers the whole of the British Army and is superior to any garrison/brigade/district/divisional appointment.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

These days some numpty would upload his helmet cam onto Youtube or the like, and  then all hell would break loose. 

Speaking of numpties 😀

377446659_Screenshot(8).png.45b7bb86536ec5274b48ce7980760d91.png

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

When I was in USN boot camp, I rather enjoyed the marching and drill. We had a company commander's aide that knew some fancy steps and taught us some; "DOUBLE TO THE REAR WITH A HALF-STEP .... MARCH!!" is one that I remember the most. Once we got that one down pat, he had us pull it off at some marching review we were in and a few senior jaws dropped! I can still here him calling it out sometimes even when we were just marching between classes or the messhall. Note; the CC's aides were very recent boot camp graduates that got a short tour of duty there before going on to their regular assignments. I asked about it myself but was told that as an airdale, I was too "valuable" to fleet to be held back for CC aide duty. Me? Valuable??

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

When I was in USN boot camp, I rather enjoyed the marching and drill. We had a company commander's aide that knew some fancy steps and taught us some; "DOUBLE TO THE REAR WITH A HALF-STEP .... MARCH!!" is one that I remember the most. Once we got that one down pat, he had us pull it off at some marching review we were in and a few senior jaws dropped! I can still here him calling it out sometimes even when we were just marching between classes or the messhall. Note; the CC's aides were very recent boot camp graduates that got a short tour of duty there before going on to their regular assignments. I asked about it myself but was told that as an airdale, I was too "valuable" to fleet to be held back for CC aide duty. Me? Valuable??

When I was in the Boy Scouts we did something we called the "Commando March". The general idea was to keep your toecaps a few inches from the heals of the guy in front. A variation of this was to do that for ten steps then do a "forward-backward-side-together" in place. It was quite impressive when it actually worked.

ISTR we actually did it on the Rhine promenade in Köln. Naturally we were all wearing kilts 😃

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1