Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Morning all,

Been working away on Hull No. 3 again since I last posted, it’s encountered some stability difficulty in its last test so I’m having to build a keel that hangs very far down off the hull to stop it listing heavily to either side. That has yet to be tested as the bath doesn’t fill that high, well actually it does but eternity will have passed before then. Here’s a shot of the current progress. 

74B12BDF-08E5-433F-925F-5AF8319B486C.thumb.jpeg.af7c69c8da912ebd71978dcb85e906d5.jpeg

It’s based somewhat off this model made by Stevens Model Dockyard of Aldgate sometime in the mid 1870s. I think I’ve done a pretty good job capturing the essence.

https://lapada.org/art-and-antiques/class-1-model-of-a-single-screw-steamboat-by-stevens-model-dockyard-1/

This afternoon I go back to see the results from my EEG, ECG, or whatever it is everyone I ask has a different spelling😁, which will be interesting to hear and see. 

Glad to hear that everything is going well as possible Dave.

Douglas No sheds as well

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just popping in to give my two penny worth to Mr Hunt.

I think you've done bl...dy wonderful to get as much as you have done. My hats off to you. If it's any consolation I'm no where near what you have achieved , so if when you finish feel free to pop up the M6 and you can tackle my mother's estate. I'll let you have some pork scratchings and pint of stout on the estate.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Douglas

As you have identified your ship's is unstable, due to top hamper and the differing displacement characteristics of steel and wood. This means it rides far too high in the water, so you need to get it to 'dig in'

The Q will be able to give you chapter and verse on keels (Bilge and fin) ,dagger boards and centreplates.

Before you start getting really large lumps of metal hung underneath, try a small strip of iron  about 1" wide x 1/4" thick screwed down the centre line of the hull. (Use gunmetal screws).

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

No this is paradise!

image.png.397cbcd76bf9bf2506670b642660c322.png

Very similar occurred here earlier 

Men in wellies walking around in cement. 

As you may have guessed, floors have been poured. 

Andy

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

47 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Douglas

As you have identified your ship's is unstable, due to top hamper and the differing displacement characteristics of steel and wood. This means it rides far too high in the water, so you need to get it to 'dig in'

The Q will be able to give you chapter and verse on keels (Bilge and fin) ,dagger boards and centreplates.

Before you start getting really large lumps of metal hung underneath, try a small strip of iron  about 1" wide x 1/4" thick screwed down the centre line of the hull. (Use gunmetal screws).

We actually have the opposite problem, this an extremely dense bit of wood and if anything it really sits to low. I already tried the small piece of iron exactly that size underneath and it didn’t go very well, that was Tuesday. Gunmetal screws were used.

I did the same thing when I made my model of the Mahanada, tried the small bit of iron and then made a extended keel for it which worked very well.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

Been working away on Hull No. 3 again since I last posted, it’s encountered some stability difficulty in its last test so I’m having to build a keel that hangs very far down off the hull to stop it listing heavily to either side. That has yet to be tested as the bath doesn’t fill that high, well actually it does but eternity will have passed before then. Here’s a shot of the current progress. 

74B12BDF-08E5-433F-925F-5AF8319B486C.thumb.jpeg.af7c69c8da912ebd71978dcb85e906d5.jpeg

It’s based somewhat off this model made by Stevens Model Dockyard of Aldgate sometime in the mid 1870s. I think I’ve done a pretty good job capturing the essence.

https://lapada.org/art-and-antiques/class-1-model-of-a-single-screw-steamboat-by-stevens-model-dockyard-1/

This afternoon I go back to see the results from my EEG, ECG, or whatever it is everyone I ask has a different spelling😁, which will be interesting to hear and see. 

Glad to hear that everything is going well as possible Dave.

Douglas No sheds as well

You also need to angle back* the masts and stack to match the ship shown in your link.

*The proper term is "rake".

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do a minor edit.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

6 hours ago, bbishop said:

I need to be careful of fluid intake, because Mahler 3 is very long and there ain't no interval!  Then the return trip about 9:30pm.

The solution, of course, is a condom catheter and a leg bag!

Back in the day of baggy trousers, one medical student got a reputation of being a prodigious drinker and one that seemingly had an iron bladder the size of a petrol bowser....

...His secret was a condom catheter and a leg bag

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Tomorrow it's off to see the registrar to get Dad's death certificates

Dave, thoughts are still with you.

Remember to get enough copies of the certificate for what you think you need.  Buying more later is  more expensive than buying extra now.  Having said that when mum died earlier this year I was surprised by how many places were now willing to accept uploads of scans of originals. Probably a spin off from covid.  

• Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, BoD said:

Remember to get enough copies of the certificate for what you think you need.  Buying more later is  more expensive than buying extra now.  Having said that when mum died earlier this year I was surprised by how many places were now willing to accept uploads of scans of originals. Probably a spin off from covid.  

I thought I needed 3

6 would have been better as I had to chase a  few times to get them back to use somewhere else.

Of course being under various states of lockdown at the time did slow a lot of processes to a crawl  which may have been a big of a blessing in disguise 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

I found we didn't have as much call for death certificates as I expected; most organisations that want to see an original returned them. Once we had the Certificates of Probate, we'd reached the stage at which we didn't need the Death Certificates.

The one document we couldn't find, which was a little awkward, was the deed for the double grave plot my father had purchased for my mother's funeral. Fortunately there was sufficient other evidence - possession being, as they say, nine-tenths of the law. A new deed was issued, so I'm now the holder of the 75-year lease. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The one document we couldn't find, which was a little awkward, was the deed for the double grave plot my father had purchased for my mother's funeral. Fortunately there was sufficient other evidence - possession being, as they say, nine-tenths of the law. A new deed was issued, so I'm now the holder of the 75-year lease. 

What happens to them when their lease runs out?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, BoD said:

I took several photocopies of my fathers death certificate and I didn't have any problem with requests for the originals.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I found we didn't have as much call for death certificates as I expected; most organisations that want to see an original returned them. Once we had the Certificates of Probate, we'd reached the stage at which we didn't need the Death Certificates.

Just a word of advice in relation to the grave deed. Further internments such as ashes can only occur if the deed is in the name of the deed owner. You can arrange for a transfer of the deed but that needs to be witnessed by a notary i.e magistrate etc. Sorry if I'm saying something you've already been told.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

25 minutes ago, BoD said:

What happens to them when their lease runs out?

The grave returns to the ownership of the burial authority. They can then resell the grave if they choose. This has occurred in London were the Corporation of London has done it. As you can imagine it has caused quite a bit of controversy and has not proved popular. 

Since cremations have now overtaken internments I think it's more likely you will probably end up on a relative's mantle piece or in their attic.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Sp3ellinv
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:
1 hour ago, BoD said:

I took several photocopies of my fathers death certificate and I didn't have any problem with requests for the originals.

When dealing with my mothers probate, we had to get Certified Copies of the Death Certificate and the Probate

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

I'm planning on getting six copies of the death certificate on the basis that a few quid now could save me trouble later and compared with what's at stake in the legacy the cost is insignificant.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

I took extra copies of my fathers death certificate even though we had four or five originals. If an original was requested that was sent otherwise a photocopy was sent. I do recall when I requested my fathers army records they were quite happy with a photocopy.

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

When dealing with my mothers probate, we had to get Certified Copies of the Death Certificate and the Probate

That's what you get, anyway, not the originals.

On the grave plot question, my understanding is that the rules depend on who the proprietor of the cemetery is. In this case, one option is renewal on the termination of the lease but that will probably be for some grandchild of mine (if there are to be be any) to deal with.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The one document we couldn't find, which was a little awkward, was the deed for the double grave plot my father had purchased for my mother's funeral. Fortunately there was sufficient other evidence - possession being, as they say, nine-tenths of the law.

That happened to us (myself, brother and sister) as well. We’d been assured everything we would need was in a specific locked box. Unfortunately, we hadn’t checked. When we did have to open it, there was nothing referring to a lair. We had to purchase a lair in another cemetery, since the local cemetery was full by then.

• Friendly/supportive 7

51 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

The grave returns to the ownership of the burial authority. They can then resell the grave if they choose. This has occurred in London were the Corporation of London has done it. As you can imagine it has caused quite a bit of controversy and has not proved popular. 

Since cremations have now overtaken internments I think it's more likely you will probably end up on a relative's mantle piece or in their attic.

My Brother in laws ashes are in our garage 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1