Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening all,

Very big welcome back to Dave. 

In other news, I’ve got my first Saturday off in a month from life in general tomorrow, should be enjoyable. Dad and I will probably be moving the press and bandsaw tomorrow as well, here are some pictures of them along with the 30 lb GE electric motor thrown in. Not sure if it works.

5D7B5388-3CC6-46F3-A5C9-883F71B8AEFD.jpeg.954da485d06fee5a269522dd00c3f406.jpeg

Douglas

Who has the strange desire to scratchbuild another engine now that he doesn’t have to hacksaw out parts!

That band saw may be missing part of the top cover; plus there is an awful lot of rotating machinery exposed. Not a very safe-looking installation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

8A674DFA-477D-4D2B-B96B-C4610E792AF8.jpeg.c39bcd3aef3b390081711c1ca97b6c1d.jpeg

Douglas

Two things:

1. a picture of the data plate and

2. pictures of whatever the thing is on the load side of the motor; it does not look like a pulley, tt least from the angle shown. I am thinking some kind of clutch assembly.

My mechanical curiosity has come to the forefront!.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Two things:

1. a picture of the data plate and

2. pictures of whatever the thing is on the load side of the motor; it does not look like a pulley, tt least from the angle shown. I am thinking some kind of clutch assembly.

My mechanical curiosity has come to the forefront!.

I’ll get some pics soon, but yes it’s a stepped pulley.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, polybear said:

YIPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!  Dave's Back!!!

But @PupCam now seems to have gone AWOL.....was Puppers shot down by Dave by any chance?

6 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening all,

Very big welcome back to Dave. 

In other news, I’ve got my first Saturday off in a month from life in general tomorrow, should be enjoyable. Dad and I will probably be moving the press and bandsaw tomorrow as well, here are some pictures of them along with the 30 lb GE electric motor thrown in. Not sure if it works.

743FAD33-BA10-4514-A4B0-001253B7F3A3.jpeg.aedbb6815b3606f9c1d0a3c94c5966f0.jpeg

5D7B5388-3CC6-46F3-A5C9-883F71B8AEFD.jpeg.954da485d06fee5a269522dd00c3f406.jpeg

8A674DFA-477D-4D2B-B96B-C4610E792AF8.jpeg.c39bcd3aef3b390081711c1ca97b6c1d.jpeg

Douglas

Who has the strange desire to scratchbuild another engine now that he doesn’t have to hacksaw out parts!

That Pillar Drill looks rather nice - far better than the usual Chinese Junk; it even appears to have a pristine drilling table, which is a good sign of a careful owner (or very little use).

As for the fret saw, wanna swap it for a large LDC by any chance?  And is that a built-in sanding disc I see?

Signed,

A Jealous Bear

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

To improve the use you will get out of the drill press, it is probably worth making a base which includes a fence and clamps, similar to the one in the following video.  It is far quicker to set up and use/adjust that using the existing slots in the original press table.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I have taken a break from watching a bunch of cowboys and a chainsaw.

They have been working the site opposite for most of the week and they are now back dealing with the trees that skirt the road.

No high viz

No helmets and visors

No ear defenders

No protective gloves

No protective Trousers

Poor use of ladders

No climbing harnesses

No proper traffic control (ie stop boards or traffic lights).

I'll bet they have not carried out a risk assessment.

One wonders if they are properly qualified via NPTC or the like.

I must film the demolition of the big tree (30'+) which they will be doing next  and see what happens.

I don't wish them ill, but it's totally against safe working practice for arborists. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, petethemole said:

May I suggest checking the local council website to see if there are preservation orders on the trees, and notifying the HSE.  

When the site was sold for development, there was a full survey, which included trees and animals conducted by an independent contractor who has  suitably qualified people.  There were no trees listed for preservation on the site survey.  I did check the planning application prior to the tree work starting.

The purpose of my filming the large tree demolition is exactly as you suggest.  It will be forwarded to our local authority for their amusement.  By doing this the planning department get involved and once breaches are on their radar, they will be keen to ensure that things are done properly:  They'll also give the building inspectors a poke, so when things have to be signed off, the builder and his contractors will have to b very much on the ball.

What will be interesting is when the site is dug up as there are quite a few land drains that are underneath that feed into the various network of ditches around the perimeter.  Without them the site will quickly turn into a bog.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

When the site was sold for development, there was a full survey, which included trees and animals conducted by an independent contractor who has  suitably qualified people.  There were no trees listed for preservation on the site survey.  I did check the planning application prior to the tree work starting.

The purpose of my filming the large tree demolition is exactly as you suggest.  It will be forwarded to our local authority for their amusement.  By doing this the planning department get involved and once breaches are on their radar, they will be keen to ensure that things are done properly:  They'll also give the building inspectors a poke, so when things have to be signed off, the builder and his contractors will have to b very much on the ball.

What will be interesting is when the site is dug up as there are quite a few land drains that are underneath that feed into the various network of ditches around the perimeter.  Without them the site will quickly turn into a bog.

Horses for courses I'm afraid. The first job IE inspection needed someone who actually knew what they were doing. This lot though are obviously the bottom of the barrel and as a result cheap. Be interested to know what the planners say/do. I'd like to say a lot but I'd probably want do it with my fingers crossed. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2022 at 18:10, Dave Hunt said:

So, there I was venturing back into TNM as a bit of brightness in my life to offset the black dog and having got covid only to find...........?

I could get paranoid except that I know all you b'tards really are out to get me.

Dave

Well, I posted the Paneer photos to get a reaction - welcome back Dave! 🤗

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Could come in handy for anyone looking for a hollow to wallow in.

Adrian

• Agree 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

The other day I installed a decoder in a loco which was designed without provision for dcc. It wasn’t too difficult. So yesterday I recalled I needed to fit a decoder in a Bachmann LNWR loco. Easy I thought, I have done similar installations  loads of times. Except after removing the tender top I knocked the loco and tender chassis on the floor. I was quite relieved to see nothing looked broken, until I noticed  3 of the 4 wires between loco and tender had snapped. It has been not a lot of fun rewiring everything. At least I now know to completely dismantle recent Bachmann locos. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I only have three......🤣

At my skool paneers were considered a bit nerdy. It was a considerably cooler to have a quick-release saddle-bag on your Trent Tourist. So much better for the image than a briefcase and much more in line with the trousers cunningly tapered on mum's Singer.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, AndyID said:

At my skool paneers were considered a bit nerdy. It was a considerably cooler to have a quick-release saddle-bag on your Trent Tourist. So much better for the image than a briefcase and much more in line with the trousers cunningly tapered on mum's Singer.

Tapered Flairs.

The next great fashion statement folks, and you heard it here first!

• Like 1
  • Funny 7