Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Did you have the keyboard set on some type of repeat? If not that must have been almost as hard to play as the relentless snare drum in Ravel's Bolero:

As Bear said, not bad. BTW, thank you for posting the link.

That's actually me playing all the instruments for the first 15 seconds, recorded at different times, after that they are chopped up and looped throughout the song. The only instrument played by me the whole time are the synth and bass. As for Ravel's Bolero, thank you for reminding me it exists! One of my favorite pieces.

The Instruments are:

(808 is drum machine)

1. Tuned Melodic Cowbell 808 (melody)

2. 808 kick

3. 808 snare

4. 808 clap

5. Synth with heavy altering via transpose wheels to sound far away

6. 808 Bass Lover

• Informative/Useful 5

I used to record on a TASCAM 38 and later on a DA-88 through a TASCAM M 2524. I really learned a lot about muti-track recording, mic placement, EQ, and matching levels. I did that for about 30 years and finally gave it up about ten years ago when it became work and wasn't fun anymore.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

That's actually me playing all the instruments for the first 15 seconds, recorded at different times, after that they are chopped up and looped throughout the song. The only instrument played by me the whole time are the synth and bass. As for Ravel's Bolero, thank you for reminding me it exists! One of my favorite pieces.

The Instruments are:

(808 is drum machine)

1. Tuned Melodic Cowbell 808 (melody)

2. 808 kick

3. 808 snare

4. 808 clap

5. Synth with heavy altering via transpose wheels to sound far away

6. 808 Bass Lover

Bear looks forward to your appearance on the X-Factor; you could go by the stage name of "Steamy Florence".....

:biggrin_mini2:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

The weather is not too bad this morning, so I shall venture outside and start making up storage cassettes.

Since I've already cut  out all the various components,  it's going to be a rather repetitive kit building exercise.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just had a listen and you were right. It was not for me. 

However I think that was down more to the frantic tag melody than it being not my type of thing. 

I felt the tempo and pitch of the melody didn't quite match the backing track 

Maybe slow that melody down a little and perhaps a slightly lower pitch.

Then again I'm a bit of a bass junkie and my phone speaker may not have done it justice in the round as you have already  pointed out.

As you can tell  I am not an expert in  musical matters and I hope that makes sense and that I have not discouraged you in your musical endeavours.

In terms of Balero,

I once saw it played by the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and it was the most  marvelous circa 10 minutes 

The drum was played by an Al Murray look alike (  from where I was I thought it was him at the start) and he had the most uncomfortable looking posture whilst playing.

I was fascinated just watching him play.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Having listened to Douglas's offering, I have to say it is very like a lot of music that Shazam throws up when I'm trying to identify a tune. The tune I'm looking for is typically one from a great collection of Club Mixes by a skinny black DJ from Montreal. Some tunes are so obscure Shazam can't find them, or they are not then on YouTube.

Having had my infusion yesterday, I am utterly brain-fogged today - but not necessarily due to the med itself. I just could not sleep, and so am very slow and weary. Nurse Aurelie - plump, pretty, 40-ish, bright - turned up with the wheelie stand for the bottle of infusion to hang on, i.e. just like a drip in hospital, and I had obtained all the disposables in a kit. So I sat at one end of the sofa for 20 minutes and the job was done. Copious amounts of water were recommended before and after the event, and I must keep knocking it back today and tomorrow.

Wordle nearly defeated me today. I have been overdosing on Octordle the last few days. The same challenge but different.  

Bits of me are reminding me that on Sunday I spent 90 mins on the lawn tractor, giving the paddock a first trim of the year. Amazing what trivial repetitive actions do to muscles that have sat around all Winter!

And now I may doze off again......

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Or the new group

Florence and the Panniers 

Note that I almost choked when I read that! :biggrin_mini:

All dressed in GREEN outfits! :drinks:

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do an edit.
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Florence and the Pain in Ears. ...snip...

That is what we used to call Pioneer audio equipment. :biggrin_mini:

2 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip... My actual producer name is Caernarfon though as I thought it sounded cool, and suitably relates to railways.

Its styled as  C A E R N A R F O N  though.

Totally un-pronouncable in either format though! :jester:

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do an edit.
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

I know we're not supposed to "cross post" between threads but in these troubled times I think we can use as many distractions as possible :D

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/170588-printed-fb-track-filament-printer/&do=findComment&comment=4760829

I find all the developments in 3D printing fascinating, especially those related to our hobby. I do occasionally look at adverts for filament or resin printers but I don’t proceed as I am aware of my limited abilities with the design side (O level Engineering Drawing grade 5). I have tried in the past to use graphics software and not succeeded. However I continue to be impressed by those who do.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday's  blitz on the cassettes was only partially successful.

I did some useful work tidying up the brass angle for the inter cassette connectors, but I was then diverted onto rental property tasks.

Two bird boxes were refurbished and I found some suitable timber sculling around, so decided to make another one, which has now be put up on the ash tree that sprouts out of the hedge about half way down the garden.

This accommodation is available on short term leases at very favourable rates to the lucky tenants.

I am hoping to get back onto cassette duties later today.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

29 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I find all the developments in 3D printing fascinating, especially those related to our hobby. I do occasionally look at adverts for filament or resin printers but I don’t proceed as I am aware of my limited abilities with the design side (O level Engineering Drawing grade 5). I have tried in the past to use graphics software and not succeeded. However I continue to be impressed by those who do.

It is a bit tricky but it might be a worthwhile exercise to keep the old brain cells clonking along. I have to admit I sometimes struggle to recall how to do things that seemed obvious a few weeks ago :D

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, AndyID said:

It is a bit tricky but it might be a worthwhile exercise to keep the old brain cells clonking along. I have to admit I sometimes struggle to recall how to do things that seemed obvious a few weeks ago :D

I do occasionally think I should undertake some activity to refresh my brain cells. All the activities that I would really like to do for instance artistic or musical are seemingly beyond my ability. Fortunately Aditi helps to keep my brain active by providing me with things to repair. 
Tony

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

From tomorrow I will have plenty to do, I have purchased a micro/shunting layout and will be collecting it tomorrow afternoon. It will require a bit of tidying up and the addition of a controller and it should be ready to go.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Yesterday's  blitz on the cassettes was only partially successful.

When I read this I initially thought I had missed some previously  stated intention to sort out the bits of your music  collection that were on an old fashioned storage medium. :sad_mini2:

The things night shifts do to your head. 

Andy

• Agree 4
  • Funny 10