Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Well, that means the Old Farts bike club is OK, as long as we don't say Old Gits!

As old trumps are usually stale just change the name to stale trumps.

20 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

If, instead of a mature male, the nudity had been a pretty late-teen female, would the complaints have been so loud? 

It sounds as if the neighbours are like a couple I had to deal with. They lived opposite the terminus of a bus route where the No 31's often had to wait time. They parked their caravan in tne front garden blocking the view from their lounge across the moor to the drainpipe factory.  One Sunday afternoon they decided to sit in the caravan to enjoy the view, perhaps they were closet bus spotters.  They complained when a driver relieved himself over the rear offside wheel. I had to deal with the complaint.  The magistrates threw it out.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

The story about the naked Admiral sounds like a Morecambe and Wise routine, probably ending by observing that whatever he was wearing, it badly needed ironing...

Unfortunately it was an Air Marshal otherwise it would have been classed as Naval Gazing.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

In other new the salacious story today in the Daily Failingwail is that of the RAF Air Marshal who has been suspended by the RAF pending an investigation over him being naked in his own garden.  His neighbours promptly complained to the police.

The police investigated and suggested a community resolution of a letter of apology, which was written. Quite rightly the police and CPS decided that no offence had been committed.

Certainly, the usually apoplectic rants of the commentators to the article are all fully behind the poor AM, and are quite vitriolic towards the neighbour.

If I was that neighbour, I'd now be spending a lot of time looking up, rather than into the AMs garden, awaiting  the arrival of the apology gift:  Probably a JDAM or a Hellfire.

Sadly one of the national rags deem it to be front page news today.  Perhaps he should've complained to the Police that his next door neighbour was a peeping tom.....

He'll get sh1t for evermore from the Troops, unless he bales out on retirement.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, polybear said:

Sadly one of the national rags deem it to be front page news today.  Perhaps he should've complained to the Police that his next door neighbour was a peeping tom.....

He'll get sh1t for evermore from the Troops, unless he bales out on retirement.

If he's got any sense he'll stamp on that by inviting 'the troops' around for a b*llockybuff  bbq and beer fest in his paddock and hot tub.  That would make his neighbour's eyes water.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

When I got into military modelling in the early 70s a common solvent for polystyrene was carbon tetrachloride and modelling articles would always warn against smoking while using it as you would be inhaling phosgene.  It was banned for over the counter sale not long after.  It could be used to make 'spret', sprue dissolved in it, which was a gooey styrene gloop that you could use as a filler or to add material to a model, such as folds/creases in clothing.  It works with other solvents.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

My father used to have aerosol cans of Carbon Tetrachloride for cleaning electrical gear.  I think it went under the trade name of Inhibisol.

I used to spray it onto a rag and then use it to clean the railway track in our garage.  I remember you had to be careful using it, as after prolonged contact it used to remove all the natural oils out of your fingers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the subject of ‘Old Gits’, I’m a member of that club and I’ve got the hat to prove it!

3CBCA02C-447A-452C-90A5-044FB244B3F5.jpeg.b0b9b50f28c9cc8082afd64efbb215e3.jpeg

I used to have the T shirt as well, but I wore it out!

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, petethemole said:

When I got into military modelling in the early 70s a common solvent for polystyrene was carbon tetrachloride and modelling articles would always warn against smoking while using it as you would be inhaling phosgene.  It was banned for over the counter sale not long after.  It could be used to make 'spret', sprue dissolved in it, which was a gooey styrene gloop that you could use as a filler or to add material to a model, such as folds/creases in clothing.  It works with other solvents.

Never fear - Ebay has it for sale.....

At £225 for half a litre.....

From the Ukraine.....

I'd get your order in quick if I were you.  Very quick.....

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

My father used to have aerosol cans of Carbon Tetrachloride for cleaning electrical gear.  I think it went under the trade name of Inhibisol.

Yes, Inhibisol; we practically swam in the stuff in the early 80's as Apprentices - we used to use it as a flux remover.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

As old trumps are usually stale just change the name to stale trumps.

It sounds as if the neighbours are like a couple I had to deal with. They lived opposite the terminus of a bus route where the No 31's often had to wait time. They parked their caravan in tne front garden blocking the view from their lounge across the moor to the drainpipe factory.  One Sunday afternoon they decided to sit in the caravan to enjoy the view, perhaps they were closet bus spotters.  They complained when a driver relieved himself over the rear offside wheel. I had to deal with the complaint.  The magistrates threw it out.

Jamie

IIRC London cab drivers are legally allowed to relieve themselves on the rear offside wheel of their cabs.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Me to. Can I also bring to your attention a recent tribunal ruling in which the person won the case against his employer because he was being called an 'old git'. Now of course you may indeed be an 'old git' but that does not entitle your employer to call you one.

It was only a few days ago the plumber called "Half Dead Dave" got £25,000 from a tribunal - he was the oldest there and it was seen as age discrimination when he was selected for redundancy. He's now 71 but has proved that he isn't half dead - actually probably near three quarters. As for my son, he's a plumber as well and his nickname was 'Leaky Pete" - nothing wrong with that as it was true - he always went to every job twice !

Click for news link to half dead dave

• Like 7

I got some upvc cleaner from one of our customers that made sealants and associated stuff. I put it on a shelf in what was the old pantry in the 2 up 2 down terraced house. The Mrs rang me at work to say she was dizzy,headache and queasy when I got home later I went in the pantry and found the culprit it was the upvc cleaner some had run down the neck of the bottle and eaten its way through the fumes had filled the pantry 

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

IIRC London cab drivers are legally allowed to relieve themselves on the rear offside wheel of their cabs.

Fake news, I’m afraid. 

https://www.insurancerevolution.co.uk/blog/weird-british-driving-laws-truth-or-myth/

No law preventing it but it must not offend public decency (neither be seen in the act nor expose the essential parts such that another person might see) nor other local laws. 

A couple of other myths discussed there too. 

The “right to urinate” was often discussed among us when I drove buses and coaches. Some duties didn’t offer a realistic option for several hours. We all knew the quiet spots in rural areas where we were unlikely to be spotted ;)  Our National Express drivers who could be at the wheel for 4½ hours continuously (Plymouth to Heathrow was one such run) had the on-board toilet and the option of a “statutory break” at a service area for 10 minutes :blush:

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Richard, could you check if our Squadron Leader is in sympathy with his superior, and is wandering around North Hipposhire in the buff?  Bill

I've just looked out in the general direction of Hunt Towers.

There was some indistinct flashing  and then the moon.

Before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusion, I suspect the flashing was a strobe off one of Shawbury's rotary wing fleet.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, pH said:

This guy had a ‘standard’ lecture on the many ways of producing an explosion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Duncan_Shaw

He continued to ‘tour’ the lecture after he had retired as a lecturer at Nottingham University, and came back to give the lecture at Nottingham ‘on or about’ Guy Fawkes day. 

I think I had the pleasure of attending one of his lectures (which included audience participation) in 1979.

Adrian

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Nyda and our first granddaughter both have a birthday today, the younger one is six.  I am not permitted to mention the older age, but it's older than the Beatles song and too young to draw a state pension.  That should give you a bracket to work with.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

I suspect the Air whatsit will be quietly invited to retire, he'll be way above the minimum age for retirement anyway..

Not that he's done anything wrong anyway.. It's not illegal to be naked in the UK, a guy walked from lands end to John o'groats naked, they repeatedly arrested him every time someone complained ... and repeatedly had to release him as he had broken no law.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

but it's older than the Beatles song and too young to draw a state pension.  That should give you a bracket to work with.

At one time Aditi thought the pension age was increasing faster than she was ageing. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I suspect the Air whatsit will be quietly invited to retire, he'll be way above the minimum age for retirement anyway..

Not that he's done anything wrong anyway.. It's not illegal to be naked in the UK, a guy walked from lands end to John o'groats naked, they repeatedly arrested him every time someone complained ... and repeatedly had to release him as he had broken no law.

Actually he spent a lot of time inside, mainly for contempt of court/disorderly conduct/breach of ASBO etc., rather than for nudity.  

https:/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Gough/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Gough

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5