Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

We were talking about layout lighting the other day, I tried to take a couple of shots to show how dramatic the layout looks with the garage lights off, the phone camera didn't cope with this very well but you may get the idea.  I show it like this to non-modelling visitors, it makes it look a lot better than it really is.

20201209_121356.jpg.100bf5ad1d6f3a17bd9faad885fd9db8.jpg

20201209_121408.jpg.2b4ec6e2ebc9f3f700ef59e13ab9b09b.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

This part of Essex was once Midland Railway territory. I think from about 1913 until 1923. Not sure if he particular type of loco visited the region though. 

Remember Tony, it's your train set and rule 1 applies, let's have a picture please.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

I dont think i could build a loco kit or coach kit. I am in awe of anybody who can really. 

I really need to start the great early retirement project. All i can tell you is that it will be N gauge. I have thought about a modular layout of seperate scenes of areas. I may devise a freemo type standard and just pick out a few scenes i could run either in any order or singly. But it is still early days yet 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Since we are rightly featuring Johnson 0-4-4Ts, this is my S7 take on one. Built over 30 years ago now.

P1050683.jpg.87a7b934db993f413886f9e95c6e1ff7.jpg.a6b9589918cf6419c61bc6fdb5115b8e.jpg

Dave

And still desperately awaiting the chance to piddle oil, water and dump the ashpan into the long expected ballast!:mocking_mini:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2020 at 10:05, Happy Hippo said:

...snip... We've forced ourselves to have a small slice with our afternoon tea and it's sublime. (Not too sweet).

Forced? Yeah, right! Forced, my Aunt Tilly! :yahoo_mini:

Edited by J. S. Bach
To crrect a spelling error.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

Well I decided to get back into American o gauge, namely the New York Central. However, a NYC locomotive was needed, so as a Christmas present, this was bought. A Lionel NYC J1-E  4-6-4 “Hudson.” These models were designed in 1935, to the tune of $65,000 in 1930s money, and were at the time considered the most accurate commercial models ever made, rivaling Bassett Lowke special commission models. (Photo credit).

Douglas

1EE98A21-89C9-4AFE-A382-1E110B872F11.jpeg

EA116966-4F10-4940-B06C-005DA512B8DD.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

Ah, the great “Scale Hudson” debate! Come over to my thread on Coarse Scale American O Gauge! 

I have a 1990s Williams “Scale Hudson” which is a lot of fun. The K Line ones are better detailed but have a reputation for being underpowered. The 1990s Lionel 6/18005 has so far eluded me, I’d say it was the best of the “old school” Scale Hudsons...

D92E51C3-DBBB-4EC9-BA81-82CE0E343CB6.jpeg.45bd7b87de5125114e46f0faa5c022bb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

When my Hornby class 50 hauling a rake of Ian Kirk Maunsell coaches:huh: has had a final run I may well get my HO scale American steamers out to have their longest ever run on the shed High Line. They have only ever run on the exhibition layout and not even hauled more than a couple of freight cars bar the odd one or two that have run on a Freemo set up.

Roundhouse2015 (21).JPG

20191109_152453.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

When my Hornby class 50 hauling a rake of Ian Kirk Maunsell coaches:huh: has had a final run I may well get my HO scale American steamers out to have their longest ever run on the shed High Line. They have only ever run on the exhibition layout and not even hauled more than a couple of freight cars bar the odd one or two that have run on a Freemo set up.

Roundhouse2015 (21).JPG

20191109_152453.jpg

That was the first of your layouts I ever saw Ian, at Warley IIRC. I do like the Big Blow though.  Having see the one in Ogden they must have been truly fantastic beast to see in action.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

That was the first of your layouts I ever saw Ian, at Warley IIRC. I do like the Big Blow though.  Having see the one in Ogden they must have been truly fantastic beast to see in action.

Jamie

I think that Warley show was in 2013 and was my first layout to attend your show and its last outing was November last year. Not sure when it is likely to be out again as nothing in the pipeline. Yes the one at Odgen is impressive. The models are quite noisy aswell even with the volume lowered form the factory settings.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Since we are rightly featuring Johnson 0-4-4Ts, this is my S7 take on one. Built over 30 years ago now.

P1050683.jpg.87a7b934db993f413886f9e95c6e1ff7.jpg.a6b9589918cf6419c61bc6fdb5115b8e.jpg

Dave

Serious respect......:clapping:

18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I will be returning the plate later this morning.  Some might say I'm ever hopeful!

Please sir, can I have some more.....:laugh_mini2:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

'Agree', Poly.  Dave's 'Yankee' mogul that appeared in MRJ years ago still makes me go weak at the knees, and that 0-4-4T is just as good.  Stunning, in fact, Dave.  Who painted it, please?   Larry? 

I think Dave gets his locos to self paint:  He tells them to stand in a corner and not come out again until they have a pristine finish.

Now in contrast, everything I paint looks as it it's been prodded with a tar brush!

I  do take some comfort from the real thing having seen how rough the finish is on the likes of Mallard at the NRM.  Rubbing my hand across the glossy front end of the great bird was like trying to stroke sandpaper!

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think Dave gets his locos to self paint:  He tells them to stand in a corner and not come out again until they have a pristine finish.

Now in contrast, everything I paint looks as it it's been prodded with a tar brush!

I  do take some comfort from the real thing having seen how rough the finish is on the likes of Mallard at the NRM.  Rubbing my hand across the glossy front end of the great bird was like trying to stroke sandpaper!

And some AC2 isn't going to argue.....paint brush in hand. 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Neil, I painted all my locos myself. They aren't as good as someone like Larry would have done but are OK. Painting is something that causes me more stress than anything else in modelling and it isn't unknown for me to take three attempts before I get a decent finish. If I tell Jill that I'm going to paint a model her usual response is, "In that case I'm going out. Give me a ring when you've finished."

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3