Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

A couple of pics from the other day, too hot out there to play trains this week.

45029 on the first no heat working of the year leaves for Holyhead. 

31323 sits in the yard with a Flask train, the Chargeman and a Shunter have a rest outside the cabin.

Cheers Peter.

Just as well it's a 'no heat' working ... run that with heat in this weather and you'll melt the carriages, let alone the passengers!!  ;)

• RMweb Premium

The tin shed must be like a furnace this week Peter.  I don't much envy you.  I've managed to run stuff every day and park it in the shade out of harms' way.  I also had to replace a point spring tonight.  The only heat-related incident I've had in several years apart from ballast cracking.  It's been about 45C under the roof late afternoon but cools to a more bearable 35C after dark.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

A very belated happy new year to you. I think I can just about still say that (mid-Jan is the cut-off I believe!).

Love the photos and the videos in particular. I think they really bring a layout to life.

Do you get many problems with heat expansion? You must have to allow for it at rail gaps and so on? Not a problem I suffer from often.  :)  

I've been shamelessly copying your "bungy cord" pipe technique on a few locos recently, as I now fit pipework as standard wherever possible. It works really well. How did you come up with that idea? If I hadn't seen you make it work, I'd never have believed that the bungy cord could stick to a tiny pipe like that.

Keep the pics coming when the heat allows!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Love the atmosphere and detail of your layout Peter, always something to look at I find. I may well have to make Millers Dale a little more long term in that adding details can take years, adds to the old saying a layout is never done! Would the flask train be in the yard Peter? I thought that they werent allowed to be stopped over anywhere due to security risks?

Thanks Cav, it means alot when someone tells me it has atmosphere. I think most people take less time than me to get the detail to this stage though, Having seen your last layout in the flesh I have no doubt Miller Dale will be a superb layout. Their is still plenty to do, I really need to build the station roof and engine shed not to mention a few other buildings, oh and scenic the new bit.

Not sure about the flask, on Llanbourne the train arrives into the loop then shunts so that the brake van is on the back for departure. It's not in the yard for long, but someone may know the rules that applied to these trains.

Cheers Peter.

The tin shed must be like a furnace this week Peter.  I don't much envy you.  I've managed to run stuff every day and park it in the shade out of harms' way.  I also had to replace a point spring tonight.  The only heat-related incident I've had in several years apart from ballast cracking.  It's been about 45C under the roof late afternoon but cools to a more bearable 35C after dark.

Hi Rick,

When it's this hot I don't bother going out there to do anything. I did go a get and book last night though and the temp gauge was at 50. Thats as high as it goes so was probably warmer that that.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, the layout is looking superb, do you have an overall shot of the layout at all? sorry if thats a mission hahaha

Really enjoying the vids too, makes me want to be there in the flesh

Thanks Neil,

I think I have somewhere but can do another. I did video the whole layout the other day but I am having trouble loading to photobucket at the moment.

If you are ever down in Oz you are more that welcome to come and visit. I wouldn't come over at the moment though, bit warm unless you like 40 plus degrees.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 2

Hi Peter

Excellent photos as always mate, love looking at all your photos and clips.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie,

I have more to post when I can sort out uploading them, 20s on oils will be first up.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

A very belated happy new year to you. I think I can just about still say that (mid-Jan is the cut-off I believe!).

Love the photos and the videos in particular. I think they really bring a layout to life.

Do you get many problems with heat expansion? You must have to allow for it at rail gaps and so on? Not a problem I suffer from often.  :)  

I've been shamelessly copying your "bungy cord" pipe technique on a few locos recently, as I now fit pipework as standard wherever possible. It works really well. How did you come up with that idea? If I hadn't seen you make it work, I'd never have believed that the bungy cord could stick to a tiny pipe like that.

Keep the pics coming when the heat allows!

Cheers,

Dave

Happy New Year to you Dave,

Thanks, Only problems with heat expansion are on my platforms, the plasticard paving has bent up then split but the track has been fine. Partly due to Llanbourne being end to end and partly my average track laying.

Copy away Dave just send me a cheque later. Lol It was an article by Jim S W that got me thinking. He used the bungy cord and small magnets to join air pipes on some wagons. 

Cheers Peter.

Interestin

Thanks, Only problems with heat expansion are on my platforms, the plasticard paving has bent up then split but the track has been fine. Partly due to Llanbourne being end to end and partly my average track laying.

Cheers Peter.

Interesting, Peter. I fiddled briefly with my platform today, to finish off a couple of things that have been screaming at me to do. I found that the joints near each end were lifting due to the plasticard expanding also. I will have to wait and see whether the cooler weather to come allows it all to settle back or I will need to do something about it.

Thanks Neil,

I think I have somewhere but can do another. I did video the whole layout the other day but I am having trouble loading to photobucket at the moment.

If you are ever down in Oz you are more that welcome to come and visit. I wouldn't come over at the moment though, bit warm unless you like 40 plus degrees.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter, be careful with invites like that, there will be a queue at the airport. hahhaha.

I'm just loving the pics and as Cav says its all the small details that make it so right. cheers for that.

Andy.  :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Peter, the last photo in post # 2376 really is something.

So realistic!

This continues to be a great layout and one of my favourites on the Forum.

As Andy said, we've booked our tickets to Melbourne (I wish!) - though we'll probably melt when we get there!

Jeff

Hi Peter,

Absolutely loving the video's you've made on here, can only agree with all the comments everyone else has said, brilliant stuff as always :)

I thought you'd be interested in this youtube clip I've come across, although set in the early 90's after your time of modelling, it shows some old DMU's & freight workings at Llandudno Junction & Llandudno stations at the beginning of the clip as well as a class 31 hauled Regional Railways train at Llandudno station...

Hope you enjoy.....

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1

Interestin

Interesting, Peter. I fiddled briefly with my platform today, to finish off a couple of things that have been screaming at me to do. I found that the joints near each end were lifting due to the plasticard expanding also. I will have to wait and see whether the cooler weather to come allows it all to settle back or I will need to do something about it.

Hi Jeff,

I glued a section back down last year at it has just come back up again, I think once the heat has got to it thats the end of it and you need a new bit.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, be careful with invites like that, there will be a queue at the airport. hahhaha.

I'm just loving the pics and as Cav says its all the small details that make it so right. cheers for that.

Andy.  :sungum:

Hi Andy,

thats ok more the merrier, it's going to be cooler this weekend so hopefully more pis soon.

Cheers Peter.

Peter, the last photo in post # 2376 really is something.

So realistic!

This continues to be a great layout and one of my favourites on the Forum.

As Andy said, we've booked our tickets to Melbourne (I wish!) - though we'll probably melt when we get there!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Well we have a cool change coming through so next week should be cooler, it's still 33 outside at the moment and it's 7 O clock.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Neil,

Cheers Peter. 

I dont mind the heat Peter, ill get my ticket and ill be there soon hahaha

Hi Peter,

Absolutely loving the video's you've made on here, can only agree with all the comments everyone else has said, brilliant stuff as always :)

I thought you'd be interested in this youtube clip I've come across, although set in the early 90's after your time of modelling, it shows some old DMU's & freight workings at Llandudno Junction & Llandudno stations at the beginning of the clip as well as a class 31 hauled Regional Railways train at Llandudno station...

Hope you enjoy.....

All the best,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I enjoyed the video too, I was up there around that time, I remember standing on the bridge near the station then later on caught a Reggi railways class 31 back to Stafford.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

With all these people coming out to see Llanbourne do we need to set up a DURM Group layout-a-thon ;) I'll do the bus driving if you like - still have PCV (category D) on my UK licence.

• Like 2