Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

Great minds think alike Peter.  The last train run on Penhayle Bay before the stock was cleared and locked away from the holiday break was the extended TPO; extra BGs at both ends to accommodate all the cards being sent!  Then the trip to Sharon's family in the 12" : 1' scale car was assigned head code 1Z24 out and 1Z25 back (express passenger, special, train number derived from dates of operation)  so I must be some sort of nerd!

Hope all was well with you.  We returned to an extremely quiet neighbourhood so everyone's either away or still terminally hung over ;)

January is in the diary.  Return gig here possible for the week after.

A lovely photo.

I got plenty of shots in pouring rain but was never up there to see them in snow. Apart from 2 Scottish Rover Tickets in 1988 before the sprinters arrived ,I regularly caught up with the 37/4s on freight when I was in Scotland walking and climbing.

post-13274-0-78602700-1388016082.jpg

37413 in pouring rain

This train stood for 15mins giving passengers time to call in to the famous tea room where we were having breakfast. The guard also came in for a cuppa. Having finished he went out joking that he was off to play with his train set.

The craziest photo I remember taking was of a 37/4 with 6 Seacows heading back to Spean Bridge alongside Loch Treig. It was taken from the top of a mountain 3,400ft above the line on the opposite side of the loch. The loco and wagons were almost invisible...but the sound of the 37 working hard was incredible.

However, one of the best journeys I had was Crewe-Holyhead. Through the night in the front coach, behind 37414, departing Bangor with loco being thrashed through the tunnels.

I've started 00 modelling again. Working on a few old Lima parcel vans and building a coupe of kits. A new layout is definitely being started in the New Year... although I don't think it's going to be what was originally planned.

Alan

• Like 5

Great minds think alike Peter.  The last train run on Penhayle Bay before the stock was cleared and locked away from the holiday break was the extended TPO; extra BGs at both ends to accommodate all the cards being sent!  Then the trip to Sharon's family in the 12" : 1' scale car was assigned head code 1Z24 out and 1Z25 back (express passenger, special, train number derived from dates of operation)  so I must be some sort of nerd!

Hope all was well with you.  We returned to an extremely quiet neighbourhood so everyone's either away or still terminally hung over ;)

January is in the diary.  Return gig here possible for the week after.

Hi Rick,

I would have loved to seen the loook on Sharon's face when you gave the car trip a headcode.  :locomotive:

Not so quite here, and the beach was already busy when I walked the dog before. 

A meeting at yours would be good.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

I would have loved to seen the look on Sharon's face when you gave the car trip a headcode.

It's the rolled eyes when I do the departure announcement that really tell the story ;)

"The special service to Romsey will be the car at the far end of the platform ..... please do NOT join the car nearest the buffer stops  :locomotive: "

I have difficulty winding up a 4-character head code on a 1998 model as well - they were built long after TOPS saw to it that such things were consigned to history and the electronic reporting systems :D

• Like 1

A lovely photo.

I got plenty of shots in pouring rain but was never up there to see them in snow. Apart from 2 Scottish Rover Tickets in 1988 before the sprinters arrived ,I regularly caught up with the 37/4s on freight when I was in Scotland walking and climbing.

attachicon.gif37414 Crainlarich 1988-08.JPG

37413 in pouring rain

This train stood for 15mins giving passengers time to call in to the famous tea room where we were having breakfast. The guard also came in for a cuppa. Having finished he went out joking that he was off to play with his train set.

The craziest photo I remember taking was of a 37/4 with 6 Seacows heading back to Spean Bridge alongside Loch Treig. It was taken from the top of a mountain 3,400ft above the line on the opposite side of the loch. The loco and wagons were almost invisible...but the sound of the 37 working hard was incredible.

However, one of the best journeys I had was Crewe-Holyhead. Through the night in the front coach, behind 37414, departing Bangor with loco being thrashed through the tunnels.

I've started 00 modelling again. Working on a few old Lima parcel vans and building a coupe of kits. A new layout is definitely being started in the New Year... although I don't think it's going to be what was originally planned.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Nice Pic, The tea rooms was awesome we always bailed there for a cup of tea and bacon and egg rolls. I did a few 37/4 on the North Wales Coast too but it wasn't the same as in Scotland.

Look forwards to seeing your 00 layout getting started in the new year, let me know when you start a thread.

Cheers Peter.

It's the rolled eyes when I do the departure announcement that really tell the story ;)

"The special service to Romsey will be the car at the far end of the platform ..... please do NOT join the car nearest the buffer stops  :locomotive: "

I have difficulty winding up a 4-character head code on a 1998 model as well - they were built long after TOPS saw to it that such things were consigned to history and the electronic reporting systems :D

Lol, I get the rolled eyes from Leanne and Abbie. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

37413 in pouring rain

You don't see too many shots of the Mk2 BSOT type (front coach on the train) despite their extensive use in the Highlands for a number of years.  And as here often at one end of the rake rather than in the middle.

Nice shots Peter

Merry Christmas to you and keep flying that BR Blue flag in 2014 :good:

Thanks Pete,

I plan to keep the flag flying, not much chance of me changing the time period now, too much stock. :locomotive: I may even have an O gauge loco by the end of the year.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hope you had a nice Christmas Peter, nice to see some Parcels action at Llanbourne. I did chuckle when I heard about your trip out to the garage to wrap up some presents, quality! 37428 certainly looks good on the vans. 

Thanks Alex, it was a good Christmas.

I am back to work for two days now then the rest of the week off. Hopefully I will get some more time to play trains, I haven't run things to a timetable for ages so I might clean the track and give it a go. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Happy New Year everyone.

I have uploaded a short video to my Flickr site. I can't load it on here at the moment, I need to work out how to do it.

Also a Question for all those who know about North Wales workings in 1986. How common were the class 150 Sprinters along the coast? I have one but was thinking do I need another.

Thanks Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Peter, my family went on holiday from Leeds to Llandudno in August 1986 by train. The run along the coast (can't remember if we changed at Manchester or Chester) was in a two-car 150, packed like sardines and without any working toilets. What fun when you have a five-year-old and a two-year-old with you.

• RMweb Premium

ISTR much the same.  That would have been around the time of the Blythe Bridge - Llandudno "Chopex" summer specials which carried as many gricers as holidaymakers.  With 2x20 on passenger was that a surprise to anyone?

There were 150s on the coast but not that I remember west of the Junction where everything still seemed to be loco-hauled.  My memory is of them on stopping Manchester - Llandudno workings also which accords with the post above.

An early turn followed by a dash north from London to Crewe, connecting onto the North Wales coast and reaching Llandudno just in time to chop back to Stoke (couldn't manage Blythe Bridge as there was nothing handy going on to Derby) made working the sometimes evil railway shifts worthwhile!  One one occasion there was also a kettle running along the coast as well so ALL the cameras were out! ;)

Thanks John and Rick,

I have seen a few pics of 150s on Manchester on services, but was wondering if they were common on other services.

I never did the class 20s though I did hear about them, my brother has a few shots though. 

Cheers Peter.

Happy New Year Peter, cracking videos. Always nice to see some old generation DMU action! Although I am looking forward to seeing some 150 action too!
As well as some chopper action......

Loving the 25 on the speedlink service, I quite fancy getting a class 25 for Boxenby. If I recall correctly, there was a 25/9 withdrawn and left in a siding at Toton for a few years. I think I might have to get one just to leave sitting with a snowplough.

How good does your 33 look and sound, great work Peter. Just what we were looking for! Thanks for sharing them.

Hope this helps:

th_MVI_0435_zps16005505.jpg

th_MVI_0436_zps54821a01.jpg

th_MVI_0441_zps7260a933.jpg

Whilst not uploaded they can be viewed by clicking on them.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

With Photobucket you go to the gallery on that site and select the video you require.  Either hover over the little "cog wheel" icon in the top right or click on the thumbnail and go to the "Share this image" link to the right.  Either way will give an option to "share" by clicking on a link.

Come in here, paste the link which will appear in both IMG and URL tags and post - you don't need to do anything else.  I usually remember to add a comment such as "click to play" in case it isn't obvious to folk reading that it's a video rather than a still image and it won't come to life my magic - you need to click on it.

I now host my clips at Smugmug which works in a similar way but instead of clicking on a link to "Share" I have to copy and "Embeddable link" which on most sites will start automatically or will show a "Start arrow" over the still image but on here for some reason still requires a click to play.

Happy New Year Peter, cracking videos. Always nice to see some old generation DMU action! Although I am looking forward to seeing some 150 action too!
As well as some chopper action......

Loving the 25 on the speedlink service, I quite fancy getting a class 25 for Boxenby. If I recall correctly, there was a 25/9 withdrawn and left in a siding at Toton for a few years. I think I might have to get one just to leave sitting with a snowplough.

How good does your 33 look and sound, great work Peter. Just what we were looking for! Thanks for sharing them.

Hope this helps:

th_MVI_0435_zps16005505.jpg

th_MVI_0436_zps54821a01.jpg

th_MVI_0441_zps7260a933.jpg

Whilst not uploaded they can be viewed by clicking on them.

Thanks for sorting the vids Alex,

I am sure some class 20s will turn up soon, my 150 is in bits so may be a while.

I do like my class 25s I have a pic somewhere of 25032 withdrawn at Toton I will try and find it.It's certainly possible a few 25/9s were left at Toton.

Cheers Peter. 

Great videos.

Thanks for taking the time to share them.

Happy New Year.

Alan

Thanks Alan, Hopefully I will get a few more done other the weekend.

Cheers Peter.