Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Given that you have the space, I like the second arrangement. On my old layout I really wanted to do the same with the church and road scene but there was insufficient room between the tunnel mouth and the backscene, so it ended up resembling your first idea.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

The second option will probably look a little more realistic, it is rare to find a road running parallel to a tunnel mouth, even at Kemble there is a reasonable gap between the tunnel mouth and road:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=kemble&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.d2k&biw=1024&bih=651&wrapid=tlif136699786194310&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=Ybt6UaH2L6nT0QXei4B4&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

• Like 2

Now that has thrown the cat among the pigeons, Peter. It is now a 50/50 split!!! :D

Still, knowing what your modelling skills are like, we all know the end result will look superb. :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

I think I am going with option 2, as much as I like option 1 the road doesn't look quite as good being that low, I can't curve it round the hillside as well. A bit hard to explain really but I will post up some pics once I have made more of a mess.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Just spent a while catching up.

Superb pictures. :)

Just one question? Where did you get your figures from? I'm still looking for some 1980s people.

Thanks

The figures on the platform are  mainly Bachmann some are the older ones that I don't think you can get any more. Other figures on the platform and about the layout are white metal Phoenix models railway workers and trackside workers.

Cheers Peter. 

Thanks guys,

I think I am going with option 2, as much as I like option 1 the road doesn't look quite as good being that low, I can't curve it round the hillside as well. A bit hard to explain really but I will post up some pics once I have made more of a mess.

Cheers Peter.

A little slower than everyone else as usual, I thought I'd chip in here. I think option 2 is the right one to go for, Peter. A road so close to a tunnel mouth would look like, well, a model not based on any likely prototype. Like other posters have said, if it's a bridge then that would be fine, but not a tunnel. No doubt there are exceptions to that "rule", but on the balance of probability, option 2 looks more "natural" and likely. That's my view anyway!

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I agree if it is a tunnel mouth. I suggested option 1 before based on it being a bridge.

Cav

Sorry Cav, I seem to be copying everything you say, but...

Nice to see some scenic modelling, Peter.

Btw, I'm with Cav on this one. Road next to the bridge, please!

Jeff

me too - I thought it was a bridge structure. So yes, option 2 probably better...

Jeff

Peter,

Another option, (similar to Summit Tunnel see Wikipedia) road over bridge ,road turns left at end of bridge and stays behind lowish wall parallel to the railway, tunnel mouth a short distance (a couple of coach lengths) from the bridge.

Somewhat prototypical ?

Edited by DerekEm8

A little slower than everyone else as usual, I thought I'd chip in here. I think option 2 is the right one to go for, Peter. A road so close to a tunnel mouth would look like, well, a model not based on any likely prototype. Like other posters have said, if it's a bridge then that would be fine, but not a tunnel. No doubt there are exceptions to that "rule", but on the balance of probability, option 2 looks more "natural" and likely. That's my view anyway!

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I had a picture in my head of what I wanted, then started to have second thoughts, as I was thinking of having a side road down to the oil terminal so looked at making the road lower. Even that wasn't going to look right so it's back to plan A which is pretty much option 2.  

Cheers Peter.

Peter,

Another option, (similar to Summit Tunnel see Wikipedia) road over bridge ,road turns left at end of bridge and stays behind lowish wall parallel to the railway, tunnel mouth a short distance (a couple of coach lengths) from the bridge.

Somewhat prototypical ?

Thanks Derek,

I will have a look at that.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Cav and Jeff,

Sorry about that, not sure why I wrote bridge. I need to make up a tunnelmouth now before I go much further.

Cheers Peter.

I wouldn't worry about it Peter....I'm currently building two bridges to carry an aqueduct over double main and branch lines. I keep referring to the "tunnels" on my thread and have had to make several edits. They do look a bit similar in terms of the portal structure!

Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not alot to report really, I am still working on the senic section and still need to build a tunnelmouth. Fitting decoders has been taking up a bit of time recently and I now have another class 45 and an old Hornby class 25 with 5 pole motor running. I did buy some Bachmann 21 pin decoders for two Bachmann class 47s but the decoders were basically rubbish no matter what I did I couldn't get a smooth take off so I have tried a TCS decoder which was more expensive but worked really well without any farting around, this means 47106 is now back in service.

Tonight I managed to wire up a double motored Hornby 142 Pacer, It actually runs ok but I am not happy with it as it seems to just wobble and bounce around way too much. Has anyone ever managed to get one of these things running smoothly?

Cheers Peter.

Tonight I managed to wire up a double motored Hornby 142 Pacer, It actually runs ok but I am not happy with it as it seems to just wobble and bounce around way too much. Has anyone ever managed to get one of these things running smoothly?

Cheers Peter.

My 142 was wired with 2 wires between the 2 motors. Kept permanently coupled. This improves the pick up from one wheel one side and 2 the other on each coach, to 3 wheels each side on the whole unit. 

It is supposed to wobble and bounce to be like the real thing :yes:

Merf.

• Like 1

Thanks Merf,

I have mine wired like that and they do run quite well, it's more the wobble and bounce that annoys me. Agree the real things do a bit, I remember riding on one from Crewe to Chester one vehicle was really bouncing around due to wheel flats we moved to the front and had a much smoother ride.

Cheers Peter.  

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Merf,

I have mine wired like that and they do run quite well, it's more the wobble and bounce that annoys me. Agree the real things do a bit, I remember riding on one from Crewe to Chester one vehicle was really bouncing around due to wheel flats we moved to the front and had a much smoother ride.

Cheers Peter.  

We have two we use on Widnes and spent some time looking at replacing the chassis, in the end we stuck with the originals as the ride was so realistic !

My Aunt Ethel, god bless her, was coming to stay with us in North Wales and was directed by a railman to her train in the days when there was a service starting from Stalybridge. It was a doodlebug-nodding donkey-call it what you will and she thought it must be a mistake as it didn't look like the kind of train she imagined would take her on a longish journey. After some reassurance she settled down at the front and started knitting. The trains set off for North Wales and I leave the 'picture' to your imagination as stitch after stitch was dropped and my poor aunt struggled to hold back language she was perfectly aware of but had rarely used since the air raids.... :mosking:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

We have two we use on Widnes and spent some time looking at replacing the chassis, in the end we stuck with the originals as the ride was so realistic !

Hi Dave,

Did you do anything with the motors I think someone does a remoter kit Iight look into that.

Cheers Peter.