Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Thanks Cav,

It's nice to have some 4mm model cars and vans. It wasn't that long ago you couldn't get any.

Cheers Peter.

Loving the van very nice indeed!!!

Cav

Hi Terry,

Good luck with your point rodding. Mine was brush painted as it was added after I had done the ballasting, I am pretty sure I used Humbrol matt 64 light grey.

Cheers Peter.

Hi

I recieved my order of all the point rodding wire and chairs-wheels this week and will start to fit it at the weekend and
I wanted to know what colour you painted your point rodding and was it done with an airbrush?

Sorry for all the questions but i think you have a very high level of detail on your layout and im trying to acheive something similar.

Cheers
Terry

There should be a few more coming out this year, British Leyland Marina, Princess and Triumph Stag.

I agree. In fact its still very thin on the ground for late 80s early 90s stuff!

Cav

• Like 1

Thanks Larry,

Here is something else you may remember seeing back in the 80s.

First is a pic of my Bachmann flask followed up with a pic of a flask wagon that was Scratch built useing Cambrian bogies by a friend of mine about 5 years ago. I painted and added the Fox transfers does'nt look to bad next to the Bachmann model.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-76600700-1362977102_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-32207000-1362977155_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-62040700-1362977223_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Some nice pics there, Peter. I've just ordered one of those VW vans (I felt I needed at least one obligatory White Van) and I'm glad I did looking at yours. Do you think it would be possible to write "Also available in white" on the back?!

Like the nuclear flasks too. The Cambrian model stands up very nicely next to the Bachmann one. Those flasks make for a nice short but realistic train.

Cheers,

Dave

Ok chaps, I need some help here please.

I have removed one of my old code 100 cross overs due to my class 08s stalling on it. I have made sure the wheels were clean and even added extra pick ups still with no joy. So I thought I would replace the insulfrog cross over with SL-E193 which is an electrofrog code 75 job. despite it being a code 75 I have raised it up a bit and stock runs through ok. I problem is how do I wire this in?

Here is a pic to help.

Cheers Peter.

G'day peter I've got a code 75 double slip on my layout in between standard code 100 rail. I've yet to secure it permanently and am curious as to how you have done yours and what did you use to raise it up to the same level as the other track.

Cheers Steve

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64812-st-james-station

Some nice pics there, Peter. I've just ordered one of those VW vans (I felt I needed at least one obligatory White Van) and I'm glad I did looking at yours. Do you think it would be possible to write "Also available in white" on the back?!

Like the nuclear flasks too. The Cambrian model stands up very nicely next to the Bachmann one. Those flasks make for a nice short but realistic train.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

The VW is a good model, and a bit of graffiti on the back would look good. What about "I wish my wife was this dirty".

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

G'day peter I've got a code 75 double slip on my layout in between standard code 100 rail. I've yet to secure it permanently and am curious as to how you have done yours and what did you use to raise it up to the same level as the other track.

Cheers Steve

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64812-st-james-station

Hi Steve,

All I have done so far is sit the crossing on some plasticard to get it the right hight and pin it down, I haven't wired it up yet. but stock seems to go through ok. 

Cheers Peter.

Well I have spent about 4 hours this afternoon wiring up a Peco electrfrog crossing only to find the class 08 still ####ing stops. I have played with the pick ups I have cleaned the track I have wired in an electrofrog crossing still no joy. Then the last straw was one of the push buttons wich change the points for branch just fell apart. That was it a screw driver is now imbedded in the control panel.

The 08 was swipped off the track and hit the backscene. Oh yes I am well and truly over it. The only option is to remove the crossings and truncate the branch to hold just a DMU under the senic section, which makes the thing pretty much pointless. I have had enough quite frankly so I in the next few weeks i might take Llanbourne apart and have a think about what to do next. Llanbourne is well over 25 years old now so maybe it is time to start again. 

Sorry about the rant,   I will go and have a cup of tea and calm down.

Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Very frustrating Peter.  I've had moments myself.  It took ages to wire the double-slip in a satisfactory manner (bearing in mind the supposed limitations of DC) but after trashing the first double-slip entirely and having to buy another, and perhaps 6 or 7 different isolating and wiring attempts it finally does what it should.

Walk away, grab a cuppa and go back to the shed another day.  Or even another week.  Llanbourne may have been around for a while but is surely not deserving of the Beeching Axe just yet.

• Like 3

Walk away, grab a cuppa and go back to the shed another day.  Or even another week.  Llanbourne may have been around for a while but is surely not deserving of the Beeching Axe just yet.

Thank you. I've read Peter's post several times and was desperately trying to find the words needed.

I have to totaly echo your sentiments.

Duncan

• Like 2

Hi Peter

You are right that a change might be a good idea, but not at the cost of destroying this one. You'll soon miss it and long for running trains! (much like me at the moment!)

Perhaps a side project or a micro layout to give you some breathing space from Llanbourne?

As for sorting that piece of track, why not have a go at wiring one up on a plank.... Sometimes it's simpler to get the principles right on an isolated piece of track. At very least, if it continues to frustrate you, it's not the 25 years of hard work that is in the firing line!

I've smashed and bashed many a frustrating project so fully appreicate how you are feeling. Hope you feel better about it soon as this project is definately one of my favourate layouts on RMWeb and beyond!

Regards

Lee

• Like 1

The only option is to remove the crossings and truncate the branch to hold just a DMU under the senic section, which makes the thing pretty much pointless. I have had enough quite frankly so I in the next few weeks i might take Llanbourne apart and have a think about what to do next. Llanbourne is well over 25 years old now so maybe it is time to start again. 

Familiar territory to me Peter and simplicity is my keyword. Insulfrog diamonds save a lot of mucking about and nothing stalls on the Code 83 diamond, which is far longer than a Code 75 or 100.

If you feel it is right to build anew then it's the right thing to do. Scrap & rebuild is preferable to living with compromise and you can incorporate the things you want while you're at it.  Good luck.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Llanbourne is well over 25 years old now so maybe it is time to start again. 

:O :o

I will go and have a cup of tea and calm down.

Or maybe a glass of something stronger...

As others have suggested Peter, perhaps a small micro to give you some breathing space...certainly works for me that :good:

• Like 1

Thanks Dave,

The VW is a good model, and a bit of graffiti on the back would look good. What about "I wish my wife was this dirty".

Cheers Peter.

Yes, that was another popular one.

Maybe this would be a step too far though...

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/life/the-best-white-van-graffiti-youll-see-all-year/

Not the work of your average builder!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear how frustrated you feel over the above problem with your crossings & the Class 08. I had the same problems with my 156 Sprinter departing the station, then after a load of testing without a fault, my large logo Class 47 was derailing Mark 2 coaches on the bends at random. It does get frustrating, especially when you work hard & want to sit back & enjoy the layout.

As the others have said though, sometimes it's best to walk away from it for a while then go back to it after a couple of days or so, & then adjust what you need to.

I'm in the process of remodelling quiet a bit of track in my station & altering the bends....in hope it'll work.

If your deciding to start again, then i'll look forward to what you come up with as your modelling is brilliant, & Llanbourne is one of my favourite threads on the forum. I'd be really sorry to see it go....

All the best,

Mark

• Like 2

Hi All,

Thanks for all your kind and encouraging words, sorry about the dummy spit but I felt a need to vent. I hasn't happen'd for a while as the layout generally behaves quite well.

For now Llanbourne will stay in one piece, it has it's faults but the thought of starting agiain doesn't really appeal at the moment. I do have plans for a small exhibition layout that I will start one day but for now I will try and finish Llanbourne.

Why? Well after calming down and having several cups of tea and a number of beers I have repaired the broken switch and done a bit of a bodge repair to the panel, I then removed the point motor which I fitted the PL 15 too to make sure every thing was working, as I thought maybe the switches might not be throwing properly. As it turns out one seemed to be a bit dirty so I cleaned it up them before refitting I powered it up, it all worked ok. Next I refitted point motor and made sure a loco would run through both ways with no problems. This took a few attempts to get the point motor to sit in the right spot to throw the point blades enough to each side,  

Next I double checked my wiring of the cross over and then tested it all with a loco. Everything worked well with  no shorts.

Next up is the class 08 which I think now is the main cause of the problem. Dispite being wacked off the track there is no damage and it does still run. I am going to have a go at sorting out some propper pick ups so will let you know how I go.

Thanks, Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For now Llanbourne will stay in one piece, it has it's faults but the thought of starting agiain doesn't really appeal at the moment. I do have plans for a small exhibition layout that I will start one day but for now I will try and finish Llanbourne.

Yippee  -the signal box will get done !

I think we've all had those "Loco at the wall" moments Peter.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I think we've all had those "Loco at the wall" moments Peter.

Oh yes.  Why else do you think I have grey hair and a loco-shaped indentation in the garden fence ?????    ;)

• Like 1

Hi Peter, sorry to hear of your frustration. My wife often asks me why I do a hobby that frustrates me when it is supposed to be for relaxing!

Anyway it is nice to have a good rant now and again.....

Whilst Llanbourne is 25 years old, it is still a cracking layout, you just need to get a class 56 on test from Crewe to finish it off!

Keep going Peter, can we have more photos please?!!