Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Jeff,

Speakers are something I will need to get a few of when I come to doing a few more sound locos. I am thinking I will need a small one for the 08 but I am sure when I buy the sound chip Digitrains will advise me.

Let me know when the sound in your Crompton is sorted, I will come up for a listen.

Cheers Peter. 

• RMweb Premium

Let me know when the sound in your Crompton is sorted, I will come up for a listen.

If it's sorted properly you should be able to hear it on the north wind just by leaving your windows open ;)    They were never the quietest of locos when working hard!   Back in the days of SR Runabout Rovers a group of us always used "Area 8" (East Worthing - Salisbury) and nipped out quick-smart at Salisbury to purchase day returns to Exeter during a 3-minute station stop.  Why?   Summer Saturdays were spent on the Brighton - Exeter train (out and back in a day) which included some serious thrash up Honiton Bank behind a pair of 33s with 11 on.  And of course the start up the bank from St. Davids .....

In other news I have had Crompton haulage to Blaenau Ffestiniog (!!!) which at least gets us a little closer to Llanbourne, and "enjoyed" the train making an emergency stop inside Ffestiniog tunnel then re-starting inside that mountain of slate with stupendous sound effects.

Hope you can keep cool down there - it's been warm here with more of the same coming which has caused some of the ballast to crack and curl.  It's a PITA but it happens every year so I'm used to it now ;)

Edited by Gwiwer

Hi Rick,

Happy New Year, The Cromptons were always good for a bit of a thrash, I think we discovered once before that we were both on the Conwy Crompton Pullman. It was a good day out dispite running to the normal railtour time of, well late.

Yes hot down here but no problems with the layout apart from the normal bit of paving on the platform which comes unstuck and bends up due to the heat.

Cheers Peter.

Well it's getting hot out in the garage now but I did get some time this morning to have a go at changing CVs on my 101. As Geoff said I have had a go at changing CVs 53 54 and 55, unfortunately it seems to have made little improvement, is less cogging when pulling away but at notch 4,5 it still isn't running very well. It's a real shame as on DC these units run really well. I have cleaned the wheels and track too still no luck. I tried the decoder on my other 101 with the same motor and all it did was make a noise and nearly burn out the decoder. Maybe I need to use a different decoder.

Some good news is that 33026 now runs a bit better after changing CV2.

Cheers Peter.

Starting to feel warm here as well - must remember to bring the stock in tonight so it doesn't stay out in tomorrow's heat.

I don't blame you, I think models can handle a bit of heat but I wouldn't risk it. Direct sunlight will melt te plastic, I saw the damage on a friends Flying Scotsman, no more than about ten minutes and the plastic was warped.

Cheers Peter.

Brilliant stuff as always Peter. One thing I really like about your layout, is how well balanced everything appears. Nothing sticks out, everything just gels and looks so right. Just out of interest, roughly how long did it take you to get from baseboards to the basic scenics getting finished?

• Like 1

Brilliant stuff as always Peter. One thing I really like about your layout, is how well balanced everything appears. Nothing sticks out, everything just gels and looks so right. Just out of interest, roughly how long did it take you to get from baseboards to the basic scenics getting finished?

Thanks Lee,

I would have been about 16 when Dad helped me build the first two boards, boards have been rebuild and new ones added since then the decision to focus on North Wales didn't come until I was about 20. Which is when some senic work started, and I got more serious about what stock I wanted and that my time period  would be 1985-87.

I probably should have started again when I moved to Oz because there isn't much ofthe original left now, and I would have changed to code 75 and have less small radius points. Having said that there are a few points that I will change over time to larger ones, and there is always the next layout which will have code 75 track and handbuilt points.

Cheers Peter.  

Cracking photos Peter, I can just imagine being on the end of the platform as the choppers idle away.......

Thanks Alex,

My blue pair of Lima 20s should enter traffic soon, they are waiting for a decoder which should arrive this week. Still in boxes are another pair of Bachmann 20s the plan is to get a sound chip for these when I do them.

Cheers Peter.

I forgot to post up this pic the other day.

It's a DC kits 128 that my mate gave me for Christmas. He bought it part built and finished it off for me. He wan't happy with the red and white stripe as he was rushing to finish it off, so I will have a go at sorting that out. I also think the wheels are a bit small and the gap between the bogies and chassis looks a bit big. Other than that I think it's a bit of a beast. A top Christmas present.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-24819800-1357968620_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Peter,

Photos looking great and also good to see DCC taking hold! I have a Heljan 33 with Sound fitted. It's actually one of the earlier decoders from Howes but it still remains a favourite for its thrash and engine noises. Have you heard Legomanbiffo sounds available from DC kits as they are very good and now have a fair few of my locos with these fitted. The 37 is very good and some come with the rectangular speaker which is far better than the tiny round ones. If you are doing your 08 you can now get tiny sugar cube speakers which work well.

The pair of 20's on the tanks look superb as does that new parcels unit - a nice gift to get.

All the best

Mark

Edited by MRDBLUE17

Thanks Mark,

I have more decoders on the way, hopefully I can chip another class 33 my class 31s and a pair of 20s. After that I will have a go at hard wiring my Peaks and my two Lima class 40s, I jiust hope they run ok.

Funny you mention Biffo's sound I tried to order one on Friday from DC kits but had problems with it going through. I have emailed Charlie but no reply yet.

Legomanbiffo mentioned Sugar cude speakers on his blog the other day, it looks like I will get a couple for when I do my 08. which next on the list after my class 33.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter.

The first photo in post 1860 is absolutely superb. If the bricks weren't visible in the background the scene could be taken as 100% real, it's so utterly credible. The orange-jacketed rail-worker, next to his 08, certainly draws the eye.

First read I've had for a while. You've certainly got into the swing of your CVs!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Hi Peter.

The first photo in post 1860 is absolutely superb. If the bricks weren't visible in the background the scene could be taken as 100% real, it's so utterly credible. The orange-jacketed rail-worker, next to his 08, certainly draws the eye.

First read I've had for a while. You've certainly got into the swing of your CVs!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I quite like that pic, I keep meaning to make up a removable skyscene that I can attach to the front of the layout for pics like that.

Yes still getting use to this DCC lark, all good fun though.

I still read your thred though it's a job to keep up. lol fiddleyard looks great.

Cheers Peter.

That 128 is a nice job, great to see one modelled in later life.

Thanks Rob,

I quite like the livery, I might get myself another one some day and do it in blue.

Cheers Peter.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Scott,

I have been meaning to post on here this week but have just been a bit slack to be honest. It's been fairly warm here so not alot has happened really.

I have done a bit in the few cooler days though, my decoders and some other bits eventually arrived 29 days after I had ordered them, the day before a Hornby class 31 arrived which had taken nine days to get here. The same day as my decoders arrived my Biffo sound chip arrived from DC kits. 

So now chipped and running are another pair of 20s, 20169 and 20121 both are Lima bodies one is a dummy and the other is on a Bachmann chassis. 31323 and 31403 both Hornby are done and Heljan class 33202 also running but needs a tweek. I also hard wired two Bachmann Peaks and a Lima class 40. One of the Peaks runs a different way though, but I am sure that could be fixed.

The Biffo sound was fitted to my well travelled 33010 but I think there is a loose conection on the speaker as it sounds a bit crackley and muffled I think a better speaker will make a difference too.

Also on the workbench is 47570 which has had headlight fitted and bufferbeam pipes, I gave the yellow a quick repaint and have put on the overhead warning transfers and headcode discs at one end, a Heljan class 47 arrived with my decoders and I will use that to power the Lima body. Another re chassis job is to use a broken Hornby class 31 with dodgy chassis that I pick up fairly cheap. This will go under an old railfreight grey Lima class 31 i did years ago.

I took a few pic this morning before it got too hot.

Cheers Peter.   

post-7022-0-31811500-1360383296_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-03174300-1360383448_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-00908400-1360383599_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-18570800-1360383736_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-21960900-1360383926_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-60403600-1360384115_thumb.jpg

• Like 15