Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Friend Merf Jones of this parish brought some CD's around the other night containing 1988-9 video footage assembled from his and my cameras. I havent seen it for years and it certainly brought back memories especially on the Llandudno-Conway Valley route

Of the good and the bad, a very smart 47 in Midland lake lined in LMS style took top biling, the bad being the 'orrible looking ex NSE liveried stock that invaded he coast line in the late 1980s. Merf obtained unique footage of a 7-coach DMU going literally to the end of the Trawsfynedd branch into the long grass after the points were chocked and clipped. Llandudno still had its overall roof and railmen are seen, now long since retired. Happy days - happy viewing.

Sounds like a fun evening Larry, I still need to make an overall roof for Llanbourne.

I must admit I wasn't a fan of the NSE liv when it first came out, but it grew on me. Which was probably a good thing as I lived in NSE territory.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid it was always disrespectfully "Notwork Gone West" here. Chris Green ran a magnificent railway but I never shared his taste in livery styles.

Pop over to Penhayle - there's a familiar-looking beastie just arrived there!

I'm afraid it was always disrespectfully "Notwork Gone West" here. Chris Green ran a magnificent railway but I never shared his taste in livery styles.

Pop over to Penhayle - there's a familiar-looking beastie just arrived there!

A Crompton, Nice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We came close when 73101 went into pseudo-Pullman livery ;)

I liked the L&SE sector Jaffa Cake - a lot more than the NSE livery which was adopted - and was sorry to see it cast aside so soon.

Great Pics Peter and good to see that you are going over to DCC, you won't regret it having trains idling away in your station or yard ready to depart and then thrashing away! It will be superb on your layout!

All the best with it

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I have ordered some decoders this week so hopefully it won't be long before I have a few more locos running.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, was good to meet you last week. However I must say I always preferred the original L&SE sector Jaffa Cake livery. Would've looked interesting on a loco! Jim

Hi Jim,

Likewise,

I quite liked the Jaffa cake liv, a loco would have looked ok I think.

Cheers Peter.

Not sure about class 33s but the 'Jaffa Cake' livery would have looked quite good on a 73, I think. :)

Well why not they painted them in almost every other livery back in the day. It would be an interesting paint job for a model.

Cheers Peter.

We came close when 73101 went into pseudo-Pullman livery ;)

I liked the L&SE sector Jaffa Cake - a lot more than the NSE livery which was adopted - and was sorry to see it cast aside so soon.

I saw 73101 a few times, thought it looked pretty good. Never saw it the Pullmans though.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Great Pics Peter and good to see that you are going over to DCC, you won't regret it having trains idling away in your station or yard ready to depart and then thrashing away! It will be superb on your layout!

All the best with it

Mark

I hadn't realised you weren't using DCC and, as Mark says, you won't regret it. Worth it for the sound effects alone. I must buy a few more sound-chipped locos!

Enjoyed the pics in post 1736.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been busy chipping a few locos, 33026 was done today and was tested on the layout. Other locos now chipped are 08472 25904 47418 47535. I have also finished 37428 which started out as 37417, it's basically a rename and number job, but I have raised the bogie sides added speedo and bufferbeam pipework. I have also opened up a few windows and added a crew, plus WR style lamp brackets at one end. Putting the body back on was a real pain and now the lights don't work, so I think I have brocken a wire.

Also just of the workbench is a Hornby 9f I have had sat in a box for ages. I have given the loco a quick coat of grime and added some coal in the tender, it's off to ebay to fund more decoders, but thought it was worth a few pics. I have numbered it 92224 one of the WR ones that worked on the S&D it ended up on the Midland later on and worked over the S&C.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-95998800-1355648529_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-54811200-1355648596_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-49657300-1355648670_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-69682500-1355648789.jpg

post-7022-0-48417600-1355648904_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-35868500-1355649064_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-06459200-1355649156_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-15788300-1355649277_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-70756200-1355649433_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

You would be giving the look of Llanbourn a more Llandudno Junction appearance of you removed your plate girder bridge and continued the light stone walling to form 'Brickworks Bridge'.

Track rationalisation was reversed at Llandudno Junction during the Spring of 1983 when a section of Up Slow line was put back to help releave congestion. 40 124 traverses the new line under Brickworks Bridge to help bed the track in on 18th May 1983.......

post-6680-0-30916300-1355658973.jpg

Viewed from the other side.....

post-6680-0-76415200-1355658974.jpg

• Like 7

Love that 37 Peter. I'm really fond of the Class 37/4's as I saw 37 426 named 'Y Lein Fach/Vale Of Rheidol' named at Aberystwyth in 1986 when I was 8 years old.....makes me feel old now lol!. I'm still waiting on an N guage 37/4 for my layout.

Great pictures as always :)

All the best,

Mark

Love that 37 Peter. I'm really fond of the Class 37/4's as I saw 37 426 named 'Y Lein Fach/Vale Of Rheidol' named at Aberystwyth in 1986 when I was 8 years old.....makes me feel old now lol!. I'm still waiting on an N guage 37/4 for my layout.

Great pictures as always :)

All the best,

Mark

Well you are ten years younger than me Mark.

Llanbourne has been without a 37/4 for way too long so I am looking forward to putting it to good use. I am quite tempted to do another actually, but I really have enough locos already.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

You would be giving the look of Llanbourn a more Llandudno Junction appearance of you removed your plate girder bridge and continued the light stone walling to form 'Brickworks Bridge'.

Track rationalisation was reversed at Llandudno Junction during the Spring of 1983 when a section of Up Slow line was put back to help releave congestion. 40 124 traverses the new line under Brickworks Bridge to help bed the track in on 18th May 1983.......

post-6680-0-30916300-1355658973.jpg

Viewed from the other side.....

post-6680-0-76415200-1355658974.jpg

Yes you are spot on there Larry,

I might have a go at replacing it one day, I did think about doing it in brick at the time but went for the easier option.

Cheers Peter.

Yes you are spot on there Larry,

I might have a go at replacing it one day, I did think about doing it in brick at the time but went for the easier option.

Cheers Peter.

If you feel like doing the bridge, I have quite a few pics. without trains in. I had planned to build that bridge back in the 1970s. Don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers Merf.

• Like 1

Well you are ten years younger than me Mark.

Llanbourne has been without a 37/4 for way too long so I am looking forward to putting it to good use. I am quite tempted to do another actually, but I really have enough locos already.

Cheers Peter.

Can never have too many 37s....! Am going to do all the Canton 6 bar 428 for Halebank as per 1991.

The Canton ones used to work a Cardiff-Rhyl train in the 80s so good for your layout

• Like 2