Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Thanks Jinty,

I did check out the website some time ago but didn't really have a good look. 

I have just spent an hour looking through the photo's. There is some superb stuff there, and plenty of Peaks and Cromptons. The class 47s and 31s got my interest too along with a couple of pics showing ZHVs being worked to Penmaenmawr.

Thanks again cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Here are a couple of grids I noticed off that site, not the best images, but I'm sure there is more.

All pictures are copyright J.Powell.

Website administrated by G. Poole

56069 with empty HAA's on 11th November 1982

post-14906-0-55489300-1407870245.jpg

56059 & 56069 stabled at 6G on 24th April 1984 with 47198. The 2 Grids went up the Conwy Valley line to conduct deflection tests on the bridge north of Betws-y-Coed.

post-14906-0-22117900-1407870257.jpg

One that I really do like, a row of Duffs on 30th August 1986, 47's 100, 331, 349 and 353, and the full yellow ended Rat, 25912 Tamworth Castle.

post-14906-0-22266100-1407870276.jpg

And a sad one to finish, 40001's last ever revenue earning run, on 5th July 1984 at Mochdre

post-14906-0-97288900-1407870287_thumb.jpg

Hope you don't mind the hijack?

Regards

Jinty ;-)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 9

Hijack away Jinty, I never get tired of seeing new pics of the North Wales Coast railway. 

I missed the class 56 pic but the one of the shed are great, there are some very nice shots of locos in the shed too. Plenty of 25s and 45s.

25912 did seem to spend a lot of time on the coast I might have to model that loco one day.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 2

That class 56 is setting back on to the newly laid Flyash run round loop, it's just come off the Flyash unloading siding and after running round will set back onto the down main for Fiddlers Ferry.

There were two trips per day, the Flyash is now under the up & down main lines which were moved to build the A55 between Colwyn Bay and Llandudno Junction.

Stu

That class 56 is setting back on to the newly laid Flyash run round loop, it's just come off the Flyash unloading siding and after running round will set back onto the down main for Fiddlers Ferry.

There were two trips per day, the Flyash is now under the up & down main lines which were moved to build the A55 between Colwyn Bay and Llandudno Junction.

Stu

Thanks Stu,

I only found out the other day that there were two trips a day.

The reason I have bought a class 56 is to work a Flyash train on Llanbourne, I think it only ran during 82 and 83 but I have imagined it ran for a bit longer into 86 so it gives me an excuse to run a few Grids on some HAAs. I was planning to have one on a test train but I don't really have the room in the platforms as they used to  work in on the Euston trains.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Stu,

I only found out the other day that there were two trips a day.

The reason I have bought a class 56 is to work a Flyash train on Llanbourne, I think it only ran during 82 and 83 but I have imagined it ran for a bit longer into 86 so it gives me an excuse to run a few Grids on some HAAs. I was planning to have one on a test train but I don't really have the room in the platforms as they used to  work in on the Euston trains.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete,

Yes it only ran for about a year, and if my memory is correct the second run use to come down the coast after the second Freight Liner 4D59 the Trafford Parks around 2000 to 2100hrs but before the returning Amlwch Tanks got back to the Junction, I seem to remember it use to pass my mums house in Old Colwyn and I would think a 40 had gone up on the Bangors due to the noise it would make. 

I think we had special instructions in the Old Junction Box for when it use to set back as we did n't want it ending up in the Carriage Shed!!!!

I know an extra stencil indicator was paced on the Cob so the driver knew when the peg was off. 

cheers

Stu

Hi Pete,

Yes it only ran for about a year, and if my memory is correct the second run use to come down the coast after the second Freight Liner 4D59 the Trafford Parks around 2000 to 2100hrs but before the returning Amlwch Tanks got back to the Junction, I seem to remember it use to pass my mums house in Old Colwyn and I would think a 40 had gone up on the Bangors due to the noise it would make. 

I think we had special instructions in the Old Junction Box for when it use to set back as we did n't want it ending up in the Carriage Shed!!!!

I know an extra stencil indicator was paced on the Cob so the driver knew when the peg was off. 

cheers

Stu

Thanks Stu,

My Flyash train will arrive in the loop by the station and the yard shunter will trip it back to the main yard to be unloaded. Which actually means disappear back into the fiddleyard. The loco will go onto the shed. 

Any idea of what the headcode for the train was? 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

What's the heritage of this 31 you put a picture of on Kinsley Colliery layout thread?

attachicon.gifpeters 31.jpg

I think it looks the dogs do dahs!!!!

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty,

The Ped is an old Lima body that I had painted some time ago, I picked up a Hornby class 31 with a broken chassis and used the bogies and drive gear mounted on my Lima chassis. Not my idea by the way, James had a thread going in the workbench section some time back. I used the Hornby PCB too to power the LEDs I had fitted when I first did the body.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-09079700-1408153996_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-78291100-1408154029_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-69387500-1408154212_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Very nice lima/Hornby chassie build on the class 31 :locomotive:  :sungum:

Thanks Mate,

I couldn't not do something with the Lima body as I really like it. I think the Hornby class 31 is pretty good too but when I found a cheap chassis it just had to be done.

It's actually started a bit of a trend because since doing the 31 I have done a couple of Hornby class 25s and now a class 40. An NSE Lima class 47 will be next but that's a while of. I also have a Lima class 20 powered by a Bachmann chassis which was the first chassis swap I did.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

Very nice Peter, it somehow struck me that it wasn't the Hornby body, hence the question.

I've got to say, the Lima bodies were pretty good for their day!!!

Thanks for the info and pictures

Jinty ;-)

Thanks Jinty,

I think the Lima stuff was pretty good just let down by the average running. Some of the molding is better than Bachmann's The later models like the class 20, 31, 47 and 101 DMU are all worth keeping and doing work on, even the class 40 looks pretty good sat next to my Bachmann one.

Cheers Peter.

I have been reading about Llanbourne for some time and enjoying the photos.

I thought the North Wales Coast was really interesting in the early 1980s, with loco hauled stock and semaphore signals.

It was a long way from home so I only made a handful of visits, and they were a bit before your timescale.

However as the flyash workings have been mentioned I did take a couple of photos, and here is one of them:-

post-7081-0-60502400-1408446842_thumb.jpg

56070 is reversing a loaded train at Llandudno Junction, 7/6/83

cheers

• Like 4

Thanks Stu,

My Flyash train will arrive in the loop by the station and the yard shunter will trip it back to the main yard to be unloaded. Which actually means disappear back into the fiddleyard. The loco will go onto the shed. 

Any idea of what the headcode for the train was? 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete,

I asked around in work and got theses times.

Down trains came as a class 7 and went back (empty) as a class 6. 

7D28 0927 FF to LJ

7D29 1915 FF to LJ

rtn

6F69 0057 LJ to FF

6F79 1440 LJ to FF

cheers

Stu

Hi Peter,

Hope you are well. Your Railfreight Class 31 looks fantastic. The original Railfreight livery looks great on the Peds - much better than the later Red Stripe variation. I think it's to do with the proportion of the double arrows.

Cheers,

Jim

I have been reading about Llanbourne for some time and enjoying the photos.

I thought the North Wales Coast was really interesting in the early 1980s, with loco hauled stock and semaphore signals.

It was a long way from home so I only made a handful of visits, and they were a bit before your timescale.

However as the flyash workings have been mentioned I did take a couple of photos, and here is one of them:-

attachicon.gifMY SCANS.jpg

56070 is reversing a loaded train at Llandudno Junction, 7/6/83

cheers

Hi Rivercider,

I have noticed your likes on the thread and your first post on here is a ripper. Thanks for the pic that's superb and it's 56070 the one I am doing. Feel free to post your other pics.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete,

I asked around in work and got theses times.

Down trains came as a class 7 and went back (empty) as a class 6. 

7D28 0927 FF to LJ

7D29 1915 FF to LJ

rtn

6F69 0057 LJ to FF

6F79 1440 LJ to FF

cheers

Stu

Thanks Stu,

That's great I will write it up into my timetable though I will probably only run one a day, and It's nice to know the headcodes.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Hope you are well. Your Railfreight Class 31 looks fantastic. The original Railfreight livery looks great on the Peds - much better than the later Red Stripe variation. I think it's to do with the proportion of the double arrows.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim,

All good here mate hope you are all good. You missed a good meeting at Jeff's on Saturday. I didn't mind the red stripe livery I am thinking of getting a class 31 in that liv at some point. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

All good here mate hope you are all good. You missed a good meeting at Jeff's on Saturday. I didn't mind the red stripe livery I am thinking of getting a class 31 in that liv at some point.

Cheers Peter.

Yes all good Peter. I saw there was a meeting at Jeff's - I would have liked to have gone but I was out on both Thursday and Friday nights (!) so needed to score some 'brownie points' in order to stay in the 'good books' so to speak ;-)

• Like 1

Hi Peter

I always enjoy looking through your posts and the pictures, such great details abd stock and everything about it looks superb.

Great modelling and a great layout.

Thanks Neil,

Good to see Millwood back up and running.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Rivercider,

I have noticed your likes on the thread and your first post on here is a ripper. Thanks for the pic that's superb and it's 56070 the one I am doing. Feel free to post your other pics.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter,

Like Jintyman I was wary of thread hijack and this was the first time I thought one of my shots was relevant as they are earlier than your 1985-7 theme.

My three photographic visits to North Wales were in 1982/83, so far I have scanned all 19 photos from 1982, they are in my Flickr album '1980s L.M.R. North Wales',

mostly not very exciting as a lot are DMUs.

When I get time in the autumn I wiil restart scanning, I have a few more freight shots I think so will post some when I get there.

In the meantime I will enjoy trainspotting at Llanbourne!

cheers

Edited by Rivercider