Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Always good to catch up with Llanbourne.

Congratulations on reaching 100 pages and thanks for more fantastic photos.

Just to confirm - your Class 25s are old Hornby bodies sitting on Bachmann chassis? I'm hoping to pick up a Bachmann Class 24 soon but also have a pile of old Hornby Class 25s which were heading for the scrapyard. I'm now thinking that the bodies might be useful....

Is the body swop straight forward? I did also wonder if I might have missed a post where you discussed the work required?

Alan

Ive not got any plan soon but if I am over there I'll certainly take you up on it. I like to watch layouts that you can just stand at and imagine that your there with your camera and platform 5 book. Your layout ticks that box for me and something I try to acheive with my modelling.

No worries Cav,

I still have my Platform 5 books, although I gave up spotting numbers in about 86 I still used to buy one to mark in my haulage

. I am sure Millers Dale will be superb as you will be able to imagine you are there on the platform or on the lineside watching all the trains just roll by.your Outon Road was great too and I managed to see that in the flesh at Barrow Hill.

Cheers Peter.

Always good to catch up with Llanbourne.

Congratulations on reaching 100 pages and thanks for more fantastic photos.

Just to confirm - your Class 25s are old Hornby bodies sitting on Bachmann chassis? I'm hoping to pick up a Bachmann Class 24 soon but also have a pile of old Hornby Class 25s which were heading for the scrapyard. I'm now thinking that the bodies might be useful....

Is the body swop straight forward? I did also wonder if I might have missed a post where you discussed the work required?

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Yes my class 25s are old Hornby bodies and chassis with the Bachmann metal block and running gear, it's a bit farting about but worth it. Another route is to use the Bachmann chassis and cut off the bufferbeams and attach those to the body and work out a way to attach the body to the chassis. Jim S.W. has done a few and they look pretty good.

There is some more info on what I did to mine on my workbench thread. If you need more info let me know, happy to  help.

Cheers Peter. 

Platform 5 books, I remember those! I still have mine too. Like you Peter I had one for haulage as well.

We are all quite sad aren't we. LOL I used to mark mine in with a highlighter pen.

We are all quite sad aren't we. LOL I used to mark mine in with a highlighter pen.

Funny isn't it as we used to underline locos that we had seen and then highlighted them if we had had them for haulage.

I daren't tell Mrs. Grimley about that..............

• Like 1

Yeah I used to underline the number in black the name in red and put a green dot beside haulage. Sad sad sad. Were good times though. I still buy old platform 5 books to use as reference material regarding livery, numbers, pool and depot allocations so I get my models right for era and location!

• Like 1

No worries Cav,

I still have my Platform 5 books, although I gave up spotting numbers in about 86 I still used to buy one to mark in my haulage

. I am sure Millers Dale will be superb as you will be able to imagine you are there on the platform or on the lineside watching all the trains just roll by.your Outon Road was great too and I managed to see that in the flesh at Barrow Hill.

Cheers Peter.

Yeah Outon Road was nice to operate. I do miss it occationally.

Im planning on adding station announcements to MD to give a bit of station atmosphere and to let people know whats coming to hopefully add a bit of a spotter experience!

• Like 1

When I talk about my depot and locos, she just says “it’s not real!”......

Lovely 37/4 action Peter, I bet there were a few enthusiasts out for that. Friday evening out for some Tractor thrash, nice!

And a pair of mixed livery choppers too, great photos.

• RMweb Premium

Another milestone - 200000 views.  Thoroughly deserved Peter.  And it's been my pleasure to present a couple of Craftsmanship awards for the pics as well.

Thanks Alan,

Yes my class 25s are old Hornby bodies and chassis with the Bachmann metal block and running gear, it's a bit farting about but worth it. Another route is to use the Bachmann chassis and cut off the bufferbeams and attach those to the body and work out a way to attach the body to the chassis. Jim S.W. has done a few and they look pretty good.

There is some more info on what I did to mine on my workbench thread. If you need more info let me know, happy to  help.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter

Spent time last night reading through your work bench posts. Plenty of other interesting things there too , including Class 31 Lima body swops... something else for me to think about. I did originally think about running my old 1980s Hornby, Lima, Mainline locos but they certainly look their age alongside newer models.... so a expensive programme of replacing them is underway. Looks as if it will definitely be worth keeping a few bodies though.

Also enjoyed the Platform 5 posts. I bought them from 1980-2010 when I finally lost interest in the modern stuff. I really tried to keep up my interest but with the 87s gone, 60s going into store and the 56s gone...(before they came back again!)I finally gave up wanting to underlining numbers.

Looking back at the older books I seem to have devised a colour code for underlining numbers - the logic of which I've forgotten... there are also haulage dots after the number and an x in front to indicate locos photographed during the year

....and every January there was the solemn ceremony of slowly and accurately transferring all the previous years information into the new edition.

• Like 1

Like the photos well modelled and capturing the feel BR with a great selection of locos ,no Platform Five for me it was Ian Allan and I still have them from the 1950,s I was an underlininer in blue biro.

Thanks Imsforever,

I started out with the Ian Allan books my first one was bought by my Dad I think about 1979. I went over too Platform 5 early 80s

Cheers Peter.

Once again some nice nice quality pics of a truly great Layout, thanks for posting. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I noticed a few green loco's on your thread I hope it's not catching.  :O

Cheers Peter.

When I talk about my depot and locos, she just says “it’s not real!”......

Lovely 37/4 action Peter, I bet there were a few enthusiasts out for that. Friday evening out for some Tractor thrash, nice!

And a pair of mixed livery choppers too, great photos.

They don't get do they Lol.

Thanks I quite like the old class 37s. I really need to finish off the two 20s on my workbench but chances are it wont be for a while.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter

Spent time last night reading through your work bench posts. Plenty of other interesting things there too , including Class 31 Lima body swops... something else for me to think about. I did originally think about running my old 1980s Hornby, Lima, Mainline locos but they certainly look their age alongside newer models.... so a expensive programme of replacing them is underway. Looks as if it will definitely be worth keeping a few bodies though.

Also enjoyed the Platform 5 posts. I bought them from 1980-2010 when I finally lost interest in the modern stuff. I really tried to keep up my interest but with the 87s gone, 60s going into store and the 56s gone...(before they came back again!)I finally gave up wanting to underlining numbers.

Looking back at the older books I seem to have devised a colour code for underlining numbers - the logic of which I've forgotten... there are also haulage dots after the number and an x in front to indicate locos photographed during the year

....and every January there was the solemn ceremony of slowly and accurately transferring all the previous years information into the new edition.

Hi Alan,

Glad it was of some use, I have a couple of Hornby class 31s which are a good model but the Lima body has the edge over it I think. The Lima class 47 is a good model too.

I did the same with my Platform  5s The new cops for that year went in in red. I put a P next to locos that I took a picture of for a while and H for haulage until I started useing a highlighter pen.

Cheers Peter.

Hi All,

Last post before I leave for the UK. I finished off my Lima class 47570 which is just a renumber of a model that has been stored for a few years since the Bachmann class 47s took over. This loco was 47553 but I have painted the headcode black and added a Stratford Sparrow. I have removed the moter gears so it's now a dummy.

My class 128 is now back together, I changed the bufferbeam at one end as 55995 had different buffers at each end, I also filled in the gaps on the chassis. I still need to paint the exhausts but otherwise it's finished. 55995 was allocated to Chester during the 80s though I am not sure it went out on the coast.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-01018400-1399598316_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-91873100-1399598346_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-17330900-1399598416_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-20468100-1399598463_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Safe travels Peter and leave the country in good order for our visit in a few weeks from now :)

I already have my 2014 Platform 5 "Combine" ready and waiting so I know what I'm looking at when faced with the unfamiliar ;)

Safe travels Peter and leave the country in good order for our visit in a few weeks from now :)

I already have my 2014 Platform 5 "Combine" ready and waiting so I know what I'm looking at when faced with the unfamiliar ;)

Thanks Rick, looks like you will be arriving when I leave. I didn't know you were heading off this early in the year. 

Modern stuff doesn't really hold a lot of interest for me though I am hoping to see some vintage traction while I am out and about.

All the best mate, will have to catch up when you are back.

Cheers Peter.