Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Yippee  -the signal box will get done !

I think we've all had those "Loco at the wall" moments Peter.

Absolutely. Been there, done that and bought the T-shirt. Only a couple of weeks ago, I was using all my admittedly limited resources of self-control trying not to throw a Bachmann 37 at the wall as I tried in vain to put the body back on and get the contacts to actually make contact and the lights to work. In the end I think one of the tail lights failed, as I managed to get the others working, but I never did get that one tail light working. It must have taken me several hours of choice French language and even then it wasn't right. I have another Bachmann 37 to put back together again shortly too. Hmmmm.

Are your 08s Bachmann or Hornby? After having Bachmann 08s for many years, I invested in a Hornby 08 but could never get it to run satisfactorily around the layout. I gave up in the end and have gone back to the Bachmann ones, at least for the time-being, as I find they run more reliably because the centre axle is sprung, unlike the Hornby one which throws a wobbly whenever it encounters less than perfect track (pretty frequently on WW). As you say, the problem may well lie with the 08 rather than the track. I have live frogs throughout on WW and most locos run superbly across them, but 08s are a different matter.

Don't give up, Peter. Llanbourne is far too good for you to do that. I've lost count of the number of times I've thrown my toys out of the pram while trying to do something to the layout, given up and taken a break and then gone back and sorted it quicker than I could ever have imagined. Take a break to work out what's really causing the problem. Not easy sometimes when something is driving you mad, I know!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Bruv,

Just havin a catch up , the vans do look great all weathered up , you mentioned about the new models coming out I will have to investigate...those flask wagons look the biz to.

Good to catch up on the phone the other day hope the weathers cooling down & your temper!.. just leave the layout for a while & smash something else up...Looking forward to your visit next year ..we will plan a few railway/pub/beer trips!  ..cheers mate, will speak to you soon.

• RMweb Premium

Evening Pete

In the fine tradition of Blue Peter "Here's one I did earlier"..........Page 6 Post 143!!! (Didn't realise it was that earlier!)

post-6922-0-29704700-1363713988.jpg

Both of these now run faultlessly even over the double slip in the yard, which hasn't had any fancy wiring or switches added to it either!

• Like 6

Yippee  -the signal box will get done !

I think we've all had those "Loco at the wall" moments Peter.

Thanks Dave,

Yes the signal box will get built. One day.

Cheers Peter.

Oh yes.  Why else do you think I have grey hair and a loco-shaped indentation in the garden fence ?????     ;)

Must admit to doing it once before. Though it was over Twenty years ago, a Hornby class 47 went for a flying lesson across the loft when I was still living at home.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

A Lima 47 became involuntarily airborne here and met its end against the fence after being instructed in increasingly strident tones to run.

I discovered later that Lima models don't understand English :scratchhead:  

• Like 2

Hi Peter, sorry to hear of your frustration. My wife often asks me why I do a hobby that frustrates me when it is supposed to be for relaxing!

Anyway it is nice to have a good rant now and again.....

Whilst Llanbourne is 25 years old, it is still a cracking layout, you just need to get a class 56 on test from Crewe to finish it off!

Keep going Peter, can we have more photos please?!!

Thanks Alex,

My wife just rolls her eyes, when I have a winge about it.

I will sort out some pics out for you mate, as I cleaned the track last night with the idea to play trains a bit and to test out the new wiring. You may have to wait a while for a class 56 as I sold my railfreight red stripe loco.

Cheers Peter.

Absolutely. Been there, done that and bought the T-shirt. Only a couple of weeks ago, I was using all my admittedly limited resources of self-control trying not to throw a Bachmann 37 at the wall as I tried in vain to put the body back on and get the contacts to actually make contact and the lights to work. In the end I think one of the tail lights failed, as I managed to get the others working, but I never did get that one tail light working. It must have taken me several hours of choice French language and even then it wasn't right. I have another Bachmann 37 to put back together again shortly too. Hmmmm.

Are your 08s Bachmann or Hornby? After having Bachmann 08s for many years, I invested in a Hornby 08 but could never get it to run satisfactorily around the layout. I gave up in the end and have gone back to the Bachmann ones, at least for the time-being, as I find they run more reliably because the centre axle is sprung, unlike the Hornby one which throws a wobbly whenever it encounters less than perfect track (pretty frequently on WW). As you say, the problem may well lie with the 08 rather than the track. I have live frogs throughout on WW and most locos run superbly across them, but 08s are a different matter.

Don't give up, Peter. Llanbourne is far too good for you to do that. I've lost count of the number of times I've thrown my toys out of the pram while trying to do something to the layout, given up and taken a break and then gone back and sorted it quicker than I could ever have imagined. Take a break to work out what's really causing the problem. Not easy sometimes when something is driving you mad, I know!

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

It looks like I am not the only one to be frustrated by this Hobby.

I did read about your class 37 problem, and I have had the same with my 37428. First the body wouldn't go on and when it did the lights stopped working. They work now but go on and off as the loco speeds up.

Anyway my 08s are both Hornby, I sold my Bachmann models after seeing a friends running on my layout. The Hornby one just seemed to glide through my pointwork where as the Bachmann locos seemed to wobble about a bit. Until the recent problem my Hornby locos have run well apart from my 08472 having a bit of a squeak.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Hi Bruv,

Just havin a catch up , the vans do look great all weathered up , you mentioned about the new models coming out I will have to investigate...those flask wagons look the biz to.

Good to catch up on the phone the other day hope the weathers cooling down & your temper!.. just leave the layout for a while & smash something else up...Looking forward to your visit next year ..we will plan a few railway/pub/beer trips!  ..cheers mate, will speak to you soon.

Hi Mate,

Hattons have the VWs they do a van a mini bus and a camper.

The weather has cooled down a bit as has my temper.

Still planning on coming over next year I just need Leanne to stop spending money.

Cheers Peter.

Evening Pete

In the fine tradition of Blue Peter "Here's one I did earlier"..........Page 6 Post 143!!! (Didn't realise it was that earlier!)

attachicon.gif08Pickups_250710.JPG

Both of these now run faultlessly even over the double slip in the yard, which hasn't had any fancy wiring or switches added to it either!

Thanks Ian,

Yours look better than my attempt which I think my be the problem as I think not all pick ups are pushing against the wheels hard enough.

My loco is on the workbenck at the moment so hopefully in the next few days I will get it sorted.

Cheers Peter.

A Lima 47 became involuntarily airborne here and met its end against the fence after being instructed in increasingly strident tones to run.

I discovered later that Lima models don't understand English :scratchhead:  

Being as at one time 90% of my loco fleet were Lima diesels I actually managed to get them running quite well, though I wouldn't mind a Quid for every hour spent trying to get them more reliable.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete

Please, please, please DON'T weild the axe :O  on Llanbourne, as it has and still gives me a hell of a lot of pleasure looking at your photo's. :nono:

Having had a N. Wales layout on the exhibition circuit for 8 years during 1985 - 1993, which I miss greatly, I revisit your pages alot to get a fix of N. Wales blue heaven.

With regards to your 08 problem I have had the same issue with both Bachmann & Hornby, but once the whole mechanisms, pick ups etc are removed, cleaned, lubricated with a less viscos fluid and replaced, they have been OK, but the Bachmann ones have had additional pick ups like the previous posts, but can still stall on flat straight track at slow speeds, when all is clean, don't ask why cos I ain't got a clue, so your frustrations are shared this side of the world too.

The other great frustration that I have at the moment is you lot over there going on about how bloody "HOT" it is while we over here are still freezing and dodging snow showers on what is supposed to be the spring equinox, perhaps you could box up some dry hot weather and ship over asap please.  :sungum:  And if Llanboune is still trying your patience please feel free to box that up too and send as well.

Keep up the good work and take out your frustrations on something else.

Paul

• Like 3

Thanks Dave,

It looks like I am not the only one to be frustrated by this Hobby.

I did read about your class 37 problem, and I have had the same with my 37428. First the body wouldn't go on and when it did the lights stopped working. They work now but go on and off as the loco speeds up.

Anyway my 08s are both Hornby, I sold my Bachmann models after seeing a friends running on my layout. The Hornby one just seemed to glide through my pointwork where as the Bachmann locos seemed to wobble about a bit. Until the recent problem my Hornby locos have run well apart from my 08472 having a bit of a squeak.

Cheers Peter.

Definatly not, I DID actually wing a Lima 92 at a wall. Tried for hours to get a new fabricated chassis to sit properly, and just as the glue 'grabbed' it shifted. Not a happy bunny :no:   I read on another site you're not ripping it up :locomotive:  Happy to see an inspirational layout surviving!

Hi Pete

Please, please, please DON'T weild the axe :O  on Llanbourne, as it has and still gives me a hell of a lot of pleasure looking at your photo's. :nono:

Having had a N. Wales layout on the exhibition circuit for 8 years during 1985 - 1993, which I miss greatly, I revisit your pages alot to get a fix of N. Wales blue heaven.

With regards to your 08 problem I have had the same issue with both Bachmann & Hornby, but once the whole mechanisms, pick ups etc are removed, cleaned, lubricated with a less viscos fluid and replaced, they have been OK, but the Bachmann ones have had additional pick ups like the previous posts, but can still stall on flat straight track at slow speeds, when all is clean, don't ask why cos I ain't got a clue, so your frustrations are shared this side of the world too.

The other great frustration that I have at the moment is you lot over there going on about how bloody "HOT" it is while we over here are still freezing and dodging snow showers on what is supposed to be the spring equinox, perhaps you could box up some dry hot weather and ship over asap please.  :sungum:  And if Llanboune is still trying your patience please feel free to box that up too and send as well.

Keep up the good work and take out your frustrations on something else.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks, You will be pleased to know that Llanbourne is still in one peice. Things can get frustrating now and then but for the most part I really enjoy railway modelling as a hobby.

I have spent some time on my Hornby class 08 and tweeked the pick ups, it now runs really well and has no problem with the crossover. I ran a few other trains just to make sure everything is running ok and after cleaning some track I have had a good running session. I was a bit worried some stock wouldn't like the code 75 track but I have had no problems so far.

Are weather has cooled down over the last week but we a still forcast for some high 20s  this week. I am happy to send you some heat it looks like you are still getting it pretty cold over there.

Cheers Peter.

Definatly not, I DID actually wing a Lima 92 at a wall. Tried for hours to get a new fabricated chassis to sit properly, and just as the glue 'grabbed' it shifted. Not a happy bunny :no:   I read on another site you're not ripping it up :locomotive:  Happy to see an inspirational layout surviving!

Thanks,

Yes Llanbourne survives for now, but it's got to be on it's best behaviour.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi

I might have missed its but is there a track plan and dimensions of this layout anywhere. Ive read through each page (all 79 of them) and didnt see one.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Peter,

Had missed out for a bit and when I started reading you were thinking of scrapping the layout I was in shock! Glad it was just one of those moments which is why I still don't have a 156 on the layout yet!

Glad to see the recent pics the 25 and 108 are fantastic with the weathering. The flasks look very good too from a while back. I bet the new MK2's from Bachmann will appear in the future I will certainly be creating a set with them.

All the best

Mark

Hi

I might have missed its but is there a track plan and dimensions of this layout anywhere. Ive read through each page (all 79 of them) and didnt see one.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

There is an old trackplan on the old RMweb page 1. I will try and do a more upto date one when I get the chance. Basically the main part is 18 ft by 3ft 6" norrowing to 2ft by the tunnels.

Cheers Peter.

Great pictures Peter, love the 47 action and the half built wall is a nice touch.

Cheers

Leon

Hi Leon,

Thanks Mate, still more to do but it's getting there.

Cheers Peter.