Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Just thought I would drop in a quick post while I have the chance. We are enjoying are UK trip so far though some of the driving is giving me the sh*ts.

I had a great time at the Barrow hill show and had a chat with Cav and Neil, it was great to see the layout in the flesh the sound class 85 was a beast. I am off to Fareham exhibition on Sunday and will be playing trains on Mossbank Yard. So drop by and say hello.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

I will try to pop down to Farnham tomorrow if I get a chance, else see you on Monday for a trip back to the '80s

Phil

Hi Phil,

No worries it will be great to meet you, either tomorrow or Monday.

Cheers Peter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good to have you back Peter. Open session at the Bay to be announced very soon - feel free to drop in if you're free. I'll be running some of the recently weathered stuff.

Bachmann coaches at £24? Try the famous Liverpool store. Some are listed around £24 but most are less and there's 20% VAT to deduct as well. I still reckon they're better than Hornby.

Hi Pete

I see you got back down under okay then? I hope the rest of your trip was enjoyable and has 33010 returned to Llanbourne yet? ;)

Hi Ian,

Thanks, yes we got back ok just took some time to get over the jet lag. It was a great trip and I hope to be back in a couple of years. we could go and annoy Scott for the day.lol

33010 survived it's trip and is sat on Llanbournes fuel point. The garage needs a clean as in the 5 weeks away the spiders moved in and I have little piles of dead ants all over the layout. I bug bombed the garage during the week so will get vac out in the next few days and suck up all the dead bodies and dust.

Cheers Peter.

Good to have you back Peter. Open session at the Bay to be announced very soon - feel free to drop in if you're free. I'll be running some of the recently weathered stuff.

Bachmann coaches at £24? Try the famous Liverpool store. Some are listed around £24 but most are less and there's 20% VAT to deduct as well. I still reckon they're better than Hornby.

Thanks Rick,

It's good to be back, I would love to catch up let me know a date, it would be over a year ago that I last saw the layout and you have done heaps since then.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Ian,

Thanks, yes we got back ok just took some time to get over the jet lag. It was a great trip and I hope to be back in a couple of years. we could go and annoy Scott for the day.lol

33010 survived it's trip and is sat on Llanbournes fuel point. The garage needs a clean as in the 5 weeks away the spiders moved in and I have little piles of dead ants all over the layout. I bug bombed the garage during the week so will get vac out in the next few days and suck up all the dead bodies and dust.

Cheers Peter.

Must be a very powerful vacuum if it'll suck up dead bodies as well as ants!!! :P :lol:

Welcome back Pete.

Note that the November BRMA meeting has now been cancelled due to the host's ill-health, so we may not catch up with you for a little while. I'll contact Rick about his layout visit too but the weekends are rapidly filling up with other commitments now.

Must be a very powerful vacuum if it'll suck up dead bodies as well as ants!!! :P :lol:

Welcome back Pete.

Note that the November BRMA meeting has now been cancelled due to the host's ill-health, so we may not catch up with you for a little while. I'll contact Rick about his layout visit too but the weekends are rapidly filling up with other commitments now.

Thanks Jeff,

The vacuum is a Dyson so bodies are no problem.lol

I did know the meeting was cancelled which is a shame as it would be good to catch up maybe see you at Ricks then if you can make it.

Cheers Peter.

For anyone interested I have added a link at the botton of my sig to my Flickr page. The newest stuff will be train pics from my latest trip to the UK but I have added stuff from back in the 80s and 90 plus my Oz train pics.

My brother coments regularly and you can link to his Flickr page too he has heaps of great pics from the 80s right up to the present day.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Just had a look through the pictures - some great ones in there - old and new.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil,

Sorry I don't have much in the way of early EWS, I had left the UK by then so missed that period.

Cheers Peter.

Welcome back Peter...hope you had a good break.

Once you have evicted those spiders, a good dose of BR Blue is much welcomed again... :D

Thanks Pete,

It's good to be back, hopefully this week I will finish cleaning up and will get something running as it has been a while. I will take a few pics for you.

Meanwhile a few pics of 33010 overseas travels.

After working from Llanbourne to crewe 33010 is seen passing Mossbank yard with an engineers train for Westcliffe P way yard. Shortly after dropping off it's train the loco is seen getting fuel on Holybank depot.

A day later 33010 is seen working an MOD train on Kevins Leaford. Later that day 33010 is seen on shed at Ians Exford.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-10471600-1352190570_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-59795700-1352190642_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-88027800-1352190864_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-45893900-1352190967_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Ah the 33, such an adaptable loco... Makes me wish I still had one! It looks good on all the above layouts.

Glad you got back safely Peter, it was good to meet you. Just hada quick look through your photos too, theres a couple there that are tempting me back to the sub sector years!

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

Hi Scott,

It was great to catch up, shame you had to go early. I will be back in a couple of years so I might have to come and annoy you for the day.

I have some more pics to add on flickr which you should like, I even saw your red shunter though I didn't get a good pic as it was stabled near the fuel point.

I did notice a sub sector tractor on your layout the other day, is this the begining of the end for the green team or are you going to run both periods? I think the layout would look good with the Sub sector stuff. No reason why you can't have both.

Cheers Peter.

HI Peter,

The 37 was an impulse buy, as it was so cheap. I've also got a couple of 47's in RFD on order so it could be a turning point. I can't afford to have two era's so something may have to go!

You'd always be welcome to pop into Redbrook for a play,

A quick question if I may? What figures do you use for your locos?

Cheers

Scott

Edited by pitbull1845

Hi Scott,

I must admit I quite like the Freightliner green liv so it would be a pitty see the green stuff go, but I can see why the sector period is appealing.

The drivers in 90% of my locos are Dapol. I use the railway worker pack, some of which just get chopped in half but some I change and chop arms etc file hats off to make a bit of variety.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You've been visiting my thread often enough lately, so I thought I'd return the compliment.

The recent photos show Llanbourne to be up to its usual standard. A question - pardon my ignorance - in post 1695, what's the diesel adjacent to the 33? Looks like a 58?

Btw, hope you had a good visit to the UK, weather and all! And, if you read this in the next 6 hours, you get to nominate a loco if you wish (but not a 9F!)... see my thread!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it's a 58. :)

Thanks very much for confirming that - bit of an inspired guess on my part. A friend once had an old Hornby 58 in BR grey. Poor body detailing by today's standards but a very smooth runner. Cheers!

Jeff

The Heljan ones are better - brilliantly smooth and quiet running with excellent haulage power as well. More accurate detailing than Hornby's one (which actually was prepared before the real ones were launched so had a few errors from the get-go). That's not to say the Hejan ones are perfect; they have made a few livery errors and even complete bloopers (just check out the second grey mainiine version - yes, that's right, it' not a typo on my part; three 'i's and no 'L')!

• Like 1