Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

Not too Baaad! Lol!

Those two locos are fantastic and continue to add to the superb scene overall on your layout. The paintwork, dirt and grime on that 37 are very realistic. I don't think I've seen the sheep modelled before but it is a nice little detail to capture.

Excellent work as usual.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Once I found a half decent pic of the sheep I thought I would give it a go, it wasn't too hard to do. Just some white paint on a cocktail stick.

Cheers Peter.

Nice work Peter. the weathering is believable because its subtle. We see a lot of weathering that looks like a tank off road.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I find working from a pic of the real thing is the best way to go. I have a nice pic of 37284 top and tailing a railtour which helped me decide to do this loco.

Cheers Peter.

It would look really good in front of an LNWR signal box ... :P

Hi Dave,

I am coming over next month, so might try and pick up a kit, I was going to ask who it was who does them. Was it london road models?

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

I am coming over next month, so might try and pick up a kit, I was going to ask who it was who does them. Was it london road models?

Cheers Peter.

London Road do the top for an LNWR Type 4

Langley Models do a type 5 but the base is plain rather than containing panels.

This may help

http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Modelling/4mmMisc.php

• Like 1

Sorry for not getting back sooner. For ex works coaches I use a mid grey with a touch of dark green in it. I also have a darker version for customers coaches. However it is worth remembering I am doing earlier BR liveries. I would have to look at my slides if I were painting ex works coaches in post 1970's liveries.

EDIT: I have had a quick glance through my North Wales colour album and the mid grey would suit ex works Mk I's. The reason I used black for other coaches is that over a time they acquire their own coating of grime which looks far more realistic...

Edited by coachmann

Sorry for not getting back sooner. For ex works coaches I use a mid grey with a touch of dark green in it. I also have a darker version for customers coaches. However it is worth remembering I am doing earlier BR liveries. I would have to look at my slides if I were painting ex works coaches in post 1970's liveries.

EDIT: I have had a quick glance through my North Wales colour album and the mid grey would suit ex works Mk I's. The reason I used black for other coaches is that over a time they acquire their own coating of grime which looks far more realistic...

No worries Larry,

I notice you have been very busy on your own layout, Greenfield is looking very good bye the way. Thanks for the info, I have a coach on the workbench so it will try some darker colours and see how i go.

Cheers Peter.

Lovely job, Peter. Can I nick a couple of your weathered 37s to run on my S&C. I'm even prepared to change the period of the layout, as your locos look so good! Lol.

Cheers,

Jeff

Lovely job, Peter. Can I nick a couple of your weathered 37s to run on my S&C. I'm even prepared to change the period of the layout, as your locos look so good! Lol.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Sorry must have missed this post the other day, I think a nice blue class 37 would look great on your viaduct. If your layout is running when I am next over I will bring one for a run.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Sorry must have missed this post the other day, I think a nice blue class 37 would look great on your viaduct. If your layout is running when I am next over I will bring one for a run.

Cheers Peter.

You would be most welcome Peter. I think the basic trackwork will be laid by the end of the month, but it'll probably be into next year when things get wired-up properly. However, i'm already a few months ahead of schedule, so who knows. Always been a fan of class 37s, and your layout could almost convert me to BR blue - as well as green, of course (My only sound loco is a Bachmann blue 37).

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

You would be most welcome Peter. I think the basic trackwork will be laid by the end of the month, but it'll probably be into next year when things get wired-up properly. However, i'm already a few months ahead of schedule, so who knows. Always been a fan of class 37s, and your layout could almost convert me to BR blue - as well as green, of course (My only sound loco is a Bachmann blue 37).

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Looks like you are aready heading to the dark side or blue in your case. lol

You can always remove the sound chip and speaker from your blue loco and put it in a green loco, if you have one. How are you for stock on the new layout? There are some very nice steam locos out these days. I know I have been tempted, I've always had a soft spot for the Standards.

Cheers Peter.

Having done he bogie mod on 37284 I decided to do 37693. This time I did it an easier way and followed Robs ( Pallet Lane) way of doing it, a lot less work than my way.

37693 leaves Llanbourne LE.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-57391700-1347066210_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter, just returning the post re. the points on KL. As far as your layout is concerned, why worry? The trackwork is excellent and the focus (for me anyway) is the work you've put in on your locos/station buildings.

I always liked the livery as worn by 37693. Having said that, it's a tractor, so it's bound to be good!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter

If you want an LNWR signalbox why not save yourself some work and get the Bachmann Scenecraft 0ne cat no 44-011

like this - http://www.themodelc.../prod_1333.html

Peter would be better going for one of the options I mentioned, the Bachmann box is Ok, but that's it, Ok - sadly it's not correct for an LNWR box and for a layout like Peters I think the extra time and effort in making one of the kits will be rewarded with the improved looks

• Like 2

Peter would be better going for one of the options I mentioned, the Bachmann box is Ok, but that's it, Ok - sadly it's not correct for an LNWR box and for a layout like Peters I think the extra time and effort in making one of the kits will be rewarded with the improved looks

Agree with Dave here, but don't forget that most of the kits out there would be too small for a station the size of Llanbourne. You may need a couple of kits (cut & shut) . I think a way to get an idea of size required would be to count up the number of points, signals & FPLs you have, add any that may have been taken away during rationalisation and add a few spares. Llandudno for example had about 90 levers in it's hayday but the frame was reduced to 34 during the rationalisation of 1978, allowing plenty of space to grow tomatoes.

Cheers Merf.

• Like 1

Hi Peter, just returning the post re. the points on KL. As far as your layout is concerned, why worry? The trackwork is excellent and the focus (for me anyway) is the work you've put in on your locos/station buildings.

I always liked the livery as worn by 37693. Having said that, it's a tractor, so it's bound to be good!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, I am quite happy with my trackwork really, considering there was only handmade code 75 and no RTR when I started building Llanbourne and most people were using Peco code 100 plus my fleet of Lima diesels wouldn't have run well on anything fine scale.

My next layout will have finescale track and I will have a go at building some points but thats a while off yet.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

If you want an LNWR signalbox why not save yourself some work and get the Bachmann Scenecraft 0ne cat no 44-011

like this - http://www.themodelc.../prod_1333.html

Hi Ian,

I did buy one but it looked to small, I thought about buying another one but after trying to change the steps to the other end to suit my needs thing started to go wrong.

So I was back to plan A and already 20 Quid down the drain.

The window etches may come in handy if I scratch build.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-56660100-1347267486_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Agree with Dave here, but don't forget that most of the kits out there would be too small for a station the size of Llanbourne. You may need a couple of kits (cut & shut) . I think a way to get an idea of size required would be to count up the number of points, signals & FPLs you have, add any that may have been taken away during rationalisation and add a few spares. Llandudno for example had about 90 levers in it's hayday but the frame was reduced to 34 during the rationalisation of 1978, allowing plenty of space to grow tomatoes.

Cheers Merf.

Hi Merf,

Buying two kits is going to get expensive, so scratch building might be back on the cards, I just need to pull my finger out a bloody build one. It might get Beast off my back to start with. :lol:

I still have the pics you took for me Merf as I think the bigger box will be better for Llanbourne. Working out how many levers is a good idea, plus leaving some room for some Tomatoes sound great. :locomotive:

As I have mentioned I will be over in a few weeks and we are planning to go to Portmeirion and travel along the coast on our way out and stop at Chester. So i might get a chance to call by Llandudno and get a few pics.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Looks like you are aready heading to the dark side or blue in your case. lol

You can always remove the sound chip and speaker from your blue loco and put it in a green loco, if you have one. How are you for stock on the new layout? There are some very nice steam locos out these days. I know I have been tempted, I've always had a soft spot for the Standards.

Cheers Peter.

Sorry for the delay - I'm at my dads and he doesn't have an internet connection.

Steam stock for the new layout, relevant to the period, consists of:

3 x 9F

2 x 5MT Standard

6 x 4MT Standard

2 x 3MT Standard

2 x Black 5

plus one or two other things I could justify (eg. a Crab and a Jubilee).

Green diesels, circa 1965:

1 x class 37

2 x class 25/1

1 x class 25/3

1 x class 31

1 x class 47

3 x Peaks (44/45)

plus a couple of green 108 DMUs - not sure if they did the S&C.

So, all in all, not bad. You can never have too many though!

Cheers,

Jeff

Sorry for the delay - I'm at my dads and he doesn't have an internet connection.

Steam stock for the new layout, relevant to the period, consists of:

3 x 9F

2 x 5MT Standard

6 x 4MT Standard

2 x 3MT Standard

2 x Black 5

plus one or two other things I could justify (eg. a Crab and a Jubilee).

Green diesels, circa 1965:

1 x class 37

2 x class 25/1

1 x class 25/3

1 x class 31

1 x class 47

3 x Peaks (44/45)

plus a couple of green 108 DMUs - not sure if they did the S&C.

So, all in all, not bad. You can never have too many though!

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Nice selection, a Jubilee would be nice always liked them and black fives. Were there any Standard 4 tanks up that way or the Fairburn tanks? And I am guessing you are waiting for a new Bachmann class 40.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Nice selection, a Jubilee would be nice always liked them and black fives. Were there any Standard 4 tanks up that way or the Fairburn tanks? And I am guessing you are waiting for a new Bachmann class 40.

Cheers Peter.

I actually have a Jubilee ("Alberta") and a 4MT tank. Forgot about them! I know Jubilees were on the S&C. Also have a Patriot - lots of LMS stuff. Not sure if they were on the line - I'll have to check.

Yes, the revamped class 40s should be good. When it was first mentioned (2009-2010?) I fancied a sound version, but economies will restrict me to a non-sound (32-481) version - or two, allowing for renumbering.

Lots to look forward to!

Jeff

• Like 1