Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

Glad to hear that all is well at Llanbourne, haven’t been on here much recently. Some lovely photos, the weathering on your stock is just top quality and really does capture that period perfectly.

Like many others I am loving the Peak action!

As you know I purchased No3 Freight in the 1980s and it is a superb book so I look forward to No5.

Keep up the good work.

Hi Peter,

Glad to hear that all is well at Llanbourne, haven’t been on here much recently. Some lovely photos, the weathering on your stock is just top quality and really does capture that period perfectly.

Like many others I am loving the Peak action!

As you know I purchased No3 Freight in the 1980s and it is a superb book so I look forward to No5.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Alex,

Always good to hear from you, yes I do like my Peaks, 45111 is getting pretty old now but still looks ok.

If you liked John's last book then you will like this one, plenty of Peaks.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Always nice to see your photo updates on here. Always very convincing and full of atmosphere. Glad all is ok after the quake.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

It has been a while, but I have been getting a bit done. Not much tonight thugh, too cold out there at the momet.

Ceers Peter.

Guest jim s-w

Talking of promotion a good friend of mine John Dedman has another book out, and once again my brother and myself have had a few of our pictures selected. If you liked the others in the series then this one shouldn't disappoint.

Cheers Peter.

I quite like this book - it has the (now) traditional can't tell the difference between a 108 and a 114 caption though!

Cheers

Jim

I quite like this book - it has the (now) traditional can't tell the difference between a 108 and a 114 caption though!

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

The only mistake I found was one of my pictures captioned with my brothers name but thats no biggy it just means he ows me a beer.

Which pic is it Jim? I had a quick look through the book, is it the ten car lash up?

It's funny when I was out taking pics I pretty much ignored DMUs it's only since I have modelled some that I really found out the differences between then and what classes they were, though I am still no expert.

Cheers Peter.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Peter

It the page facing the class 20 with the inspection saloon - captioned as a very clean class 108 but is a 114

Cheers

Jim

Hi Peter

It the page facing the class 20 with the inspection saloon - captioned as a very clean class 108 but is a 114

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that, I had me fooled but a closer look shows oval buffers and the guards compartment windows look different.

Cheers Peter.

First up a couple of wagon pics.

If you fancy a bit of a Peak bash how about this.

45111 is about to depart to Holyhead having replaced the class 33 that had brought the train in.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-58758400-1341227207_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-82045700-1341227262_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-13810400-1341227351_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-03248200-1341227388_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 12

First up a couple of wagon pics.

If you fancy a bit of a Peak bash how about this.

45111 is about to depart to Holyhead having replaced the class 33 that had brought the train in.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Lovely photos especially 45 111 with the OBA. It really shows how the backscene has blended in perfectly with the layout.

I couldn't resist checking...my last haulage behind 111 ...York-Leeds in September 1985 while on a one week Yorkshire Rover ticket.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that, I had me fooled but a closer look shows oval buffers and the guards compartment windows look different.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

108s have a continuous curve profile same as a mk1, 114s are straighter with a tumblehome style bottom section. Plus 114s are longer with an extra window in the middle section and the narrow window in this section is at the cab end, not the inner end as per a 108

Hth

Jim

• Like 1

Jim beat me to the detail differences but I would add that the 114 side windows are also mounted higher up the bodyside - just look at the distance between the cantrail and the window tops.

Class 107 were similar in style to the 114s but on shorter underframes like the 108. The chances of confusing 114s with 107s are fairly remote as they probably never met in real life, with the 107s being essentially Scottish units and the 114s working in the north east of England. 108s, on the other hand, went almost everywhere at some point in their lives.

Back to Llanbourne, I agree with the comment about the backscenes adding depth. It is impossible to tell just how wide (or narrow!) the layout is now.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

I apologise in advance if this has been uploaded before (too many pages to check back through). 24081 is heading the 'Horse & Carriage' through Llandudno Junction on 26th august 1977. SR van, Siphon G followed by 4 and 8 wheel BR GUV's....

post-6680-0-95589600-1341308885.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Peter

Lovely photos especially 45 111 with the OBA. It really shows how the backscene has blended in perfectly with the layout.

I couldn't resist checking...my last haulage behind 111 ...York-Leeds in September 1985 while on a one week Yorkshire Rover ticket.

Thanks Mate,

I only had 45111 once, Leeds- York 1986. Had to do a model of it, one of the last Peaks with cast nameplates.

Cheers Peter.

I apologise in advance if this has been uploaded before (too many pages to check back through). 24081 is heading the 'Horse & Carriage' through Llandudno Junction on 26th august 1977. SR van, Siphon G followed by 4 and 8 wheel BR GUV's....

post-6680-0-95589600-1341308885.jpg

Hi Larry,

Always good to see your pictures, shame class 24s didn't last a bit longer, one on Llanbourne would look nice.

Nice selection of vans too, mostly GUVs and BGs by the mid 80s though.

Cheers Peter.

45104 loading up with ballast in Penmaenmawr yard. After some years of working North Wales-TransPennine services, these super locos gravitated to ballast and liner trains...

post-6680-0-77180800-1341344977.jpg

Detail of a signal gantry at the approach to Llanbourne (Llandudno Junction) from the Conwy end before remodelling. I'm only guessing here but I think they are from left to right : Back platform, main Up platform and bay....

post-6680-0-17373700-1341344979.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 6

Non-British-railway folk probably wonder what on earth we're talking about when we refer to some marine creature or other in some obscure land-locked location! There be Sealions in Derby, Turbots in the Highlands and Whales in Abergavenny! :D

P.s. I don't know if those particular wagons could really be found in those locations!!

• RMweb Gold

Detail of a signal gantry at the approach to Llanbourne (Llandudno Junction) from the Conwy end before remodelling. I'm only guessing here but I think they are from left to right : Back platform, main Up platform and bay....

post-6680-0-17373700-1341344979.jpg

It's a bracket ;) (only one leg)

To Up slow (up loop ?) (where there was another signal for further routing) - (lever) 150

To Up Main - 152

To Down sidings - 151

hth.

It's a bracket ;) (only one leg)

To Up slow (up loop ?) (where there was another signal for further routing) - (lever) 150

To Up Main - 152

To Down sidings - 151

hth.

Beat me to it Dave, some good views from the top of that one before we pulled it down.

Merf.

26 Sep. 1984

post-1625-0-26494800-1341393390.jpg

• Like 7

It's a bracket (only one leg)

Thanks Dave. Mr old fella once asked me if the engine he’d seen passing Abergele was the Flying Scot or Royal Scotsman. Now I’m calling signals gantries instead of brackets..........Old age... :fool:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Great pics guys,

Love the Peak at Penmaenmawr, I noticed the Whales too, they seem quite common on ballast trains along the coast. I have a part built Cambrian one but need to get a few more.

I am suprised how high that bracket signal is too, it doesn't look so high from ground level but from the top, wow. I bet it used to move a bit on a windy day.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Great pics guys,

I am suprised how high that bracket signal is too, it doesn't look so high from ground level but from the top, wow. I bet it used to move a bit on a windy day.

Cheers Peter.

Wind straight up from the sea, yes it certainly did.

Merf.

• Like 1